PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing

Frank46
05-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Bought a martini 12/15 with a heavier barrel than what you normally see on them. Bbl length measures 23". This happened about a year ago. The bore looked rough and dark. I cleaned it with all sorts of solvents and chemicals. Nothing really did anything about the rough and darl condition of the bore. Last night found one of the el cheapo bronze bore brushes with short stiff bristles. Well you could have knocked me outta my chair when after a few passes I checked the bore and it was bright and shiney for the whole length. There was some initial resistance when pushed in from the muzzle but after a few passes it was smooth all the way back and forth. I found a lot of lead specks on the brush. This is the first time I have ever seen a 22rf bbl leaded up so bad. A small flashlight with a plastic rod fitted into the chamber shows neat clean rifling and absolutely no darkness or roughness.
Gotta be one for the books in my experience. Anyone else ever run across something like this?. Frank

TXGunNut
05-24-2013, 10:40 PM
I generally start the cleaning party with a solvent soaked brush, nylon for copper fouling and bronze (or SS in a SS bore/cylinder) for lead. If a bore is fouled a brush helps the solvent get where it needs to be, gets the loose stuff out of the way as well.

MtGun44
05-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Sounds like the solvent finally worked under the crud and the bronze brush
knocked it out. Had you used other bronze brushes or nylon brushes before this?

Bill

Frank46
05-25-2013, 11:55 PM
This martini was cleaned with Butch's bore shine just to get out the copper fouling from I guess hi speed ammo. every patch came out green. used some JB bore paste as well with a worn brush wrapped with a patch. Nothing seemed to work. Never suspected lead fouling this bad and had a guess that some really old 22's were shot possibly corroding the bore. When I ran the el cheapo brush you could feel the resistance then after a few passes was really smooth. Shined a bore light into the chamber and saw nothing like leading. Really smooth now and shiney. Frank