PDA

View Full Version : 500 S&W from lube cake

casca
05-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Greetings,
have some 440 gr. bullets stuck in lube for the 500 S&W. What do you use to cut bullets free ? where can I get one
also going to need a case expander to fit a 501 dia. bullet to open up my brass cases. any ideas ? my lee only goes to 45 expansion

thanks
casca

Wickyd
05-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Use a 500 case that has been shot and not resized.punch out primer so you can push the bullet out.
My hornady dies does a good job for expanding the case.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Use a 500 case that has been shot and not resized.punch out primer so you can push the bullet out.
If a fired case is too tight, you can use a 1/2" drill bit shank, put it in the case and gently roll the bit, that should open up the case a little bit.

casca
05-24-2013, 10:05 PM
tried the drill bit end not enough, using lee mold and a Mihec mold. Need a bigger flairing tool is there one ?\
casca

44man
05-25-2013, 07:19 AM
The Hornady expander works great, just the right size for case tension and flare. A .501 boolit fits right.
I don't know what you can use if your cast is larger for a case to be used as a cake cutter unless you can open the brass more. I make my own from brass rod and someone here should be able to make you one. All they need to know is the diameter of your unsized boolit.
Your lube sounds hard if you can't push them out. Try using a plastic tray like one of those big micro wave meal trays, put it in the freezer a short time so you can lift out the lube with the boolits in it. Then you can push from the bottom. A .501" Lee size die will remove excess lube.

blackthorn
05-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Take a bullet to your local craft/hobby store and see if they have a piece of brass tube that just slides over the bullet. If you find one, sharpen one end and you are set.