PDA

View Full Version : Frost Tonight

Hickory
05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Weather site is calling for frost tonight here in the swamp.

I have nearly 200 melon plants, 140 pepper plants, 70 tomato plants,sweet corns up and squash.
Gonna be a long night.

I miss global warming.

runfiverun
05-24-2013, 06:07 PM
we have been hovering around 34-f every night for quite some time now.
a lot of out farmers are just getting started with their planting.
I just wish the wind would quit blowing or slow down.

jmort
05-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Cool here as well, but will not get below 35* - I wish I had a garden/truck farm on the scale you have and the wherewithal to make it to harvest. Hoping for the best for your plants.

oldred
05-24-2013, 06:11 PM
We have a frost advisory for here in NE TN also, I thought we were through with that but I guess we will have to cover plants this evening.

Jim, are you guys getting frost warnings over there in Floyd for tonight? We are about on the same line that I was looking at on the weather channel.

Jim
05-24-2013, 06:41 PM
We have a frost advisory for here in NE TN also, I thought we were through with that but I guess we will have to cover plants this evening.

Jim, are you guys getting frost warnings over there in Floyd for tonight? We are about on the same line that I was looking at on the weather channel.

Forecast low for tonight is upper 30s. We're good.

TheDoctor
05-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Wow, seriously?! Thought it was cold here, going to get down to 74 tonight. Monday will be real chilly, the high is only supposed to be 86. I miss winter......

uscra112
05-24-2013, 06:50 PM
S.E. Ohio here. If this keeps up we're going to have to start subsisting on barley, root vegetables, and mutton, like the Scots.

41 mag fan
05-24-2013, 07:13 PM
S.E. Ohio here. If this keeps up we're going to have to start subsisting on barley, root vegetables, and mutton, like the Scots.

Nothing wrong with that I'm part Scottish!

Hickory
05-24-2013, 07:36 PM
I've got as much covered as I have tarps and old sheets.
If it frost I'll have to water them down until the temp gets about 40 degrees.
I have about 3 acres that I can work with, and this is the first year I've been able to plant almost the whole thing.
I bought this single row planter last fall for sweet corn and it works better than dropping seed in a groove and covering it up.
I'll set the clock for three and hope for the best

Teddy (punchie)
05-24-2013, 08:06 PM
I feel for you. We had strawberries for years, never made much for the time and worries about frost. High today was under 50, Wednesday high 80's , low for tonight is 32.

I was going to plant a huge garden but things didn't work out for this year, not yet anyway, but with a four bottom plow and 10 disk , and four row corn planter only need a day and corn is planted and few more days the hole garden is done, then the weeding and watering starts and worrying .

I'm praying for everyone.

Hickory
05-25-2013, 08:03 AM
No frost.
I was in and out of the house 3 times last night checking.
I did not go back to bed hoping not to disturb the wife,
when she leaves for town in a few minutes, Im going back to bed.

Doc Highwall
05-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Glad you made out Hickory.

Rick N Bama
05-25-2013, 12:34 PM
No frost here, but we did get down to 44 which is unusual for this time of year. My Okra has just came up and it needs hot days with warm humid nights if it's to grow as it should. Everything else in my small garden is doing well for the cooler than normal season that we've had so far. I agree, where is Global Warming when it's needed!

Rick

Iowa Fox
05-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Hickory, Glad the frost missed you. I like that single row planter what model John Deere pulling it is that? Kind of looks like my 650 but see a few differences. About 8 years ago we had a late hard killing frost here. I woke up and all the tree leaves looked like cooked spinach hanging in the trees. All the fruit and nuts were done for the year and it did kill a couple walnut trees.

Hickory
05-28-2013, 03:42 AM
The tractor is a John Deere 4100, just big enough to pull a single bottom 12" plow, 4' disc and mow the yard. It's a good little work horse, a true "garden tractor."