PDA

View Full Version : Who needs e-bay, anyway...

Typecaster
09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
The Crossroads of the West gun show was last weekend in Ontario, Calif., so I took Saturday morning off and walked through. I wasn't really looking for guns, but it is obvious that prices for rifles are way up, especially anything Winchester. (I should have built my retirement plan on Winchesters, they are appreciating a lot more than most of what my broker has done.)

I was after the small stuff, the kind of stuff I used to get on e-fence, and got what I was looking for—at about the price I would have bid at auction...with no shipping charges.

For example, .303 British RCBS dies, $20; .44 Mag RCBS carbide set, $25; Lyman 2-cavity 22-cal. mould (I forgot which number, but I didn't have it already), $30; some 50-round .223 ammo boxes for $1.75 ea.; and 10 50-cal. ammo boxes (for easy ingot storage), $40.

I'll miss the weird stuff on e-bay, but I'll survive.

Bent Ramrod
09-18-2007, 10:00 PM
That Ontario show has a lot of potential. It may ultimately pick up some of the people (and Stuff) that showed up at the old Pomona show, if they don't kill the goose and raise the cost of tables and admission through the roof (which, alas, it looks like they're doing.)

I found a dual-cav Lyman mould (2 different cavities) with handles in the box and a .243 caliber single Lyman (minus the hp pin) for fairly reasonable. Looked like neither of them had been ever used.

Was that .22 mould in that box underneath the guy's table? He did seem to have a lot of Stuff.

twoworms
09-18-2007, 10:44 PM
You can post here showmemoads.com for free right now, and after new years post for 2 to 3 bucks for 30days. Its a new site and the young man who is working on it hopes it gets off to a good start.

The site is set up for Missouri and if free for now, but anyone can post there for a very small fee after new years day.

Take a look, I'm sure Nate would love a few post from this site.

Tim

showmemoads.com

Old Ironsights
09-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Likewise, www.reloadersauction.com is slowly picking up the slack. Wh needs Ebay... (unless you need to buy Barbies for the kidlets...)

Typecaster
09-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Yep, it was under the table...one of the moulds without a box. Saved me the trouble of throwing it out..

I'll never understand the prices some sellers choose. Ammo cans ranged from $12, $8, to $5 (or 5 for $20)...and the guy who had 'em for the cheapest prices had die prices around $80-90 for common calibers.

357maximum
09-22-2007, 01:42 AM
For those supporting ebay/paypal even after it is very obvious what they stand/lay for:

:groner: Supporting ebay and paypal is supporting the enemy, pure and simple. Might just as well write a check to the feinstein/shumar/clinton/pelosi campaigns while you are at it....for the sake of concistancy and all you should proably send a check out to the NATO ninjas also.

georgeld
09-22-2007, 09:36 PM
I never figured it out, I've never used them for anything and only one time
even looked at something a woman asked me to look at for her.