PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating with teflon and its legalities

tbl-leo
05-24-2013, 05:07 AM
So today during shift change my Chief and I were talking about some of the boolits I have been making recently. He is fully supportive in my reloading and had asked if I would make his some rounds. While going over some of my new projects which includes powder coating my boolits, he stated that I could possibly possessing illegal boolits.

He said that he was pretty sure teflon coated bullets were outlawed. I have been buying bags of teflon powder coat online and making boolits using the teflon powder coat.

I live in Wisconsin if someone can provide some incite..

Skip62
05-24-2013, 06:23 AM
not Wisconsin, but here's the federal part of the story.
NRA History of Federal Ammunition Law (http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/1999/history-of-federal-ammunition-law-.aspx?s=%22shotgun%22&st=&ps=)

After doing a quick search on google, it look like there are states that ban them. I read Virginia's law, but it's only band if used in a crime. Couldn't find any reference to Wisconsin, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

xacex
05-26-2013, 12:12 PM
It looks like the Carolina's did an all out ban on teflon coated bullets, and where I am at there is a law on the book as well but only if you are using them in a crime. Put up some pictures of the finished product, and let us know how it works for you. I saw that powder online, and have been questioning using it myself. Don't cover the base of your boolit with it.
We need to be careful of where we go with the powder coating with teflon. This could be splattered out there by the media for ammunition on their campaign. We don't need a black cloud cast on our community over a boolit lube. We all know that the capabilities of teflon are benign and used only for non-friction applications, but we saw how it was spun in the 80's, and it can still be used against us by the hoards of lying bats who call themselves journalists.

EDG
05-26-2013, 09:08 PM
I guess any bullet lubes with Teflon would be in the same boat, and then you have to worry about moly and then you finally windup with any kind of lube being a no-no?

abqcaster
05-27-2013, 12:31 PM
My thoughts exactly, xacex. Truth and evidence don't matter in reporting any more, just ratings and flash.

It looks like the Carolina's did an all out ban on teflon coated bullets, and where I am at there is a law on the book as well but only if you are using them in a crime. Put up some pictures of the finished product, and let us know how it works for you. I saw that powder online, and have been questioning using it myself. Don't cover the base of your boolit with it.
We need to be careful of where we go with the powder coating with teflon. This could be splattered out there by the media for ammunition on their campaign. We don't need a black cloud cast on our community over a boolit lube. We all know that the capabilities of teflon are benign and used only for non-friction applications, but we saw how it was spun in the 80's, and it can still be used against us by the hoards of lying bats who call themselves journalists.

Garyshome
05-31-2013, 01:44 PM
I live in NC so that's one thing that won't be taking up any of my spare time.

wrinkles
06-04-2013, 04:13 PM
The KT armor piercing bullet had a teflon coating but the coating itself is not what makes the bullet armor piercing it's the steal penetrator that does this. The teflon coating is there to protect the barrel from wearing out due to the steel bullet that is being shot out of it.

cal50
06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
KTW armor piercing bullets were made from architectural bronze then Teflon coated. The Teflon coating was for the barrel and did little if anything for penetration. The metal core of the bullet (hardness and light weight) made it defeat kevlar.
If you are Teflon coating lead cores (bullets) it is not designed nor capable of kevlar or armor penetration.
KTW ammo was designed and marketed as such.

One of my first manufacturing jobs was at a screw machine shop that turned the KTW bullets on screw machines.

cal50
06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
No steel cores in KTW bullets or at least the ones made at the shop I worked at. I saw. 25 &. 38 caliber bullets made by the bucket full.

Matt85
06-04-2013, 08:15 PM
never understood how teflon coated bullets would defeat body armor. ive always assumed that was some kind of myth that was concocted by anti's. soft steel wont defeat body armor either despite what people will tell you. Russian/chinese steel core ammo will not defeat body armor, ive personally tested this on kevlar and steel body armor plates. now there is ammo out there with hardened steel penetrators but thats another story.

-matt

xacex
06-05-2013, 01:17 AM
Regardless if KTW bullets were steel or hardened brass it was the coating that the media targeted as the magic lube that would allow them to zip through kevlar. We understand the reality of what the lube was used for, but (expert) media hounds painted it differently, and convincing lawmakers that that was what made armor piercing bullets work. Now we are stuck with the result of that lie many years later, and we need to be aware of how this could be used again against us. Trust me, I want to try it, and still may but I may not post results if I do.

BBQJOE
06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Wikipedia (FWIW) lists some dangers of heating teflon too hot and causing poisonous gasses.
But who cares right? We play with lead.

wrinkles
06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
No steel cores in KTW bullets or at least the ones made at the shop I worked at. I saw. 25 &. 38 caliber bullets made by the bucket full.

Yea my bad. The penetrator was bronze.

DRNurse1
12-13-2013, 10:28 AM
not Wisconsin, but here's the federal part of the story.
NRA History of Federal Ammunition Law (http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/1999/history-of-federal-ammunition-law-.aspx?s=%22shotgun%22&st=&ps=)

After doing a quick search on google, it look like there are states that ban them. I read Virginia's law, but it's only band if used in a crime. Couldn't find any reference to Wisconsin, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Skip62 Thank you for that informative link. The legal eagles mention 'sale' and 'importation' but have not restricted manufacture that I could see. Clearly, legal advice on the subject is needed, and the 'legal eagles' missed the probability that folks could figure out how to manufacture their own ammunition .

popper
12-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Tbl-leo - how do they shoot? Does the coating work any better than the other stuff? Just call the stuff poly from now on to bypass the possible problem. Ya really think they will test your boolit coating?

Ken73
12-13-2013, 10:41 PM
When I looked on the Wiki page it mentioned nothing about Texas - I was hoping that it would allow us to go beyond the apparent 3200 fps barrier!

dverna
12-14-2013, 01:32 AM
If Teflon coating allows accurate cast bullets at over 3000 fps "defeating body armor" is moot. I would think a hard cast .308 180-200 grain bullet at 2400 fps is going to defeat body armor with any lube (or no lube).

Don Verna

Ken73
12-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Regular powder coating alone allows up to 3200 fps. I was looking to go past that limit in specific calibers but that's a different discussion.

I was under the impression that armor-piercing ammo was illegal for handguns rather than all firearms. At least, in civilian hands. I thought it wasn't illegal in rifles considering you're able to purchase it (green tip 223!) when you find it. I've bought some locally before.

fastglock
12-15-2013, 03:14 AM
The PC "slip" version has a very nasty smell while baking. And you can really notice it from a very far distance. It made my throat kinda scratchy for a few hours. Not worth the extra $ just from that alone.

CastingFool
12-15-2013, 08:27 AM
It's my understanding that any rifle bullet will defeat soft body armor. Soft body armor was intended to protect the wearer for pistol ammo. I got my information about 25 yrs ago, so it's a possibility that soft body armor has been improved. The reason the NRA opposed the ban on Teflon coated bullets was that the way the proposal was written, it would have effectively outlawed ALL rifle ammo, if approved.

popper
12-15-2013, 12:39 PM
bbqjoe - you don't want to get 'virgin' teflon poisoning, think mustard gas.