PDA

View Full Version : My .223 & Rem 700 challenge

Friends call me Pac
05-23-2013, 11:42 PM
60 gr NOE RN, 16.5 gr of IMR 4895 & filler. 100 yard distance. The black square is 2"x2"

I was going for group and was aiming at the center dot. Hitting mostly high right but was going for best group at this point. Once I figure this out I will re zero

Been trying to develope a load with the help of the fine folks here. Shot this group at 100 yards. 3 holes pretty much touching, 1 flyer & 1 didn't even hit the paper. What the heck? The only thing I can come up with as to why the 4 holes are so close together is I must have wiggled the same way 3 times and was slightly off on the 4th shot. I could live with the slightly off hit but missing the whole paper after getting the other shots so close together, man that has me bumfuzzled. I used dacron filler as per the instructions in Larry's how to. I had never tried that before and am pleased that everything worked as advertised. I don't have an electronic scale so I did not weigh the individual bullets but how far off would one have to be to miss the paper with the others grouped so close together?

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc157/pactac/100_0670_opt_zps4249ae95.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/pactac/media/100_0670_opt_zps4249ae95.jpg.html)

Casting for my Rem 700 in .223 looks to be a challenge but I like challenge. I just hope I figure out the problem. Any tips?

detox
05-24-2013, 04:25 PM
In what order was each hole shot. If the two flyers were the last two shot, leading may be the problem. Remove lead then maybe try using the Lyman Moly bore past and lube. Linotype alloy fills small mould cavity better and will give you a more accurate boolit. How concentric is your loaded ammo? I would neck size or set shoulder back .002" max. Lots of variables........

Larry Gibson
05-24-2013, 04:59 PM
GC? (make?)

Lube?

Bullets sized at?

9 or 12" twist barrel?

Larry Gibson

Jeff R
05-24-2013, 05:14 PM
For your entertainment, check out this article over on Castpics.net: Why Grown Men Cry

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast%20in%20the%20.223.pdf

Scroll down to the second page, and you'll see a photo of a group similar to yours. I am stocking up on tissues for when my Group Buy .223 mould arrives.
Jeff

runfiverun
05-24-2013, 07:23 PM
just go full ocd, things will tighten up.
cull ruthlessly.
weight sort.
control the neck tension.

grouch
05-25-2013, 12:09 AM
I'd guess that the missing shot is in the group. Why would it miss the whole paper? Have faith!!
Grouch

Friends call me Pac
05-25-2013, 12:40 AM
GC? (make?)

Aluminum bought here on CB

Lube?

Ben's red and leading is not an issue Bore is like new.

Bullets sized at?

9 or 12" twist barrel?

12" twist

I don't know what order the holes appeared. Looking through the scope I thought I could only see two bullet holes. I never dreamed I'd have a 3 shot cluster. I'm showing marks on the bullet from touching the lands & grooves. I seated them just enought that the bullet doesn't pull out when the bolt is used but when loading the bolt closes without force.

I will have to wait until Tuesday or so to do some more testing.