PDA

View Full Version : lyman lubasizer and dummy me

mt bwana
05-23-2013, 11:27 PM
about in 1985 i started my cast boolit journey. borrowed a downpour pot, bought a 429421 mold, and a friend gave an old lyman 45 lubasizer, that he inherited from his father. i poured out a big pile of bullets made from wheelweights. i am now a happy caster, almost. that darn lubasizer just didnt work right. that adjustment screw at the bottom i could never figger how it worked. so i would just guess how deep to push my boollets into the die and size and lube. sometimes get lube on the nose when i got to deep, lube on the base when not deep enough, when changing dies i would use a socket with a penny under it to push the old die out. not very efficient but i made it work for me. well the other day i got a lyman pamphlet that showed some pictures of their products, and what did i see, the rod that pushes the bullet out of the die is upside down. turned it around now i can use that adjustment screw. i have been doing it wrong for almost thirty years and didnt know. im a dummy

MTtimberline
05-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Have to love those moments when the light bulb lights up. Similarly I have had many situations when something just wouldn't work right. Then I just step back and go to lunch or something. When I come back it all goes smoothly again just like it should.

375RUGER
05-23-2013, 11:57 PM
You know something, I've been wondering how you adjust the depth also. I just picked up a used 450, have maybe run 200 boolits through it so far and mine's installed upside down also.
Thanks for saving me the frustration.

dverna
05-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Sometimes I even read the instructions

blackthorn
05-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Now I can see a bit of delay in "if all else fails---read the directions" But THIRTY YEARS??? LOL!!!

Guesser
05-24-2013, 10:14 AM
I bought a used 450 in 1986, couldn't adjust, I looked and looked finally I decided to just try things differently, that's when I found it upside down. Must have been a lot of them put in that way.

jimb16
05-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Directions?! I don't need no stinkin' directions! (KABOOM)

ghh3rd
05-24-2013, 07:18 PM
mt bwana - when I got my Lyman Lubesizer a few years ago, I installed it on my bench, melted up some Felix lube and poured it in. I immediately knew I did something wrong since lube was flowing all over the sizer, my floor and my feet. Gee, I guess putting the die in place first would be a good idea [smilie=1:

Glad I didn't keep doing that for 30 years! :-) Good that you finally saw the error of your ways and made lubing a bit easier.

Randy

badgeredd
05-25-2013, 08:24 AM
All of my lubers were bought used with no dee-rections. Every one of them had something installed wrong. I have yet to see a set of directions for setup and use of any off them. I have Lyman 45, 450, 4500 and 2 Mepos push thru sizers. Finally got a correct die for a Mepos from a fellow forum member last year which helped tremendously as a guide to find out what I was missing and how the original dies were made.

Edd