PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first cast bullets today!

Namerifrats
09-17-2007, 03:06 AM
After having cast up around 1,600 bullets over the past month and a half, I finally got some loaded up the other night and had a day off when the weather was good. Went to the range and finally got to shoot some of my cast bullets! Very nice, and accurate from what I've seen so far! I shot cast in both my CZ82 and S&W 500. The CZ82 (9x18 Makarov) bullets were all tumble lubed in LLA and I wiped them a bit with Mineral Spirits as some here suggested after loading them, worked perfect! The S&W 500, I fired several rounds through it as test rounds. A few with GC's and lubed with Lar's Carnauba Red (worked very good, bore was left nice and shiny), some with GC's and my homemade Felix lube (worked good from what I could tell, lots of smoke though) and some both with and without GC's lubed with LLA. Had minor leading in the barrel, just a bit in the grooves but was able to get most out easy without much trouble. I have a tad still left, will probably have to scrub it out wit the brush. What do you guys here use "Chemical wise" to assist in removing leading?

:castmine:

JeffinNZ
09-17-2007, 05:02 AM
Oh dear. It's all down hill from here in. You will be hooked like the rest of us...........:-D

Get one on those brass strand scouring pads (Chore Boy rings a bell). Wind some of the strands around an old brush and run it down the bore and out twice. Hey presto. No more lead.

The brass won't hurt your barrel (unless you spend all day doing this).

grumpy one
09-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Namiferats, sounds like you had the accelerated cast bullets course there, you have your lubes calibrated at least.

Getting rid of leading is something of a black art and depends on the smoothness of your bore. The Chore Boy concept of lead removal (pure copper strands wound around an old brush) is the one I use. We don't have Chore Boy here, but $2 shops sometimes have a variety of scouring pads packaged as a set. The pure copper turnings do the business, and you toss the rest of the package in the skip.

If you overload the cartridge (too much pressure on the base of the cast bullet turns the base temporarily to mush during acceleration down the barrel) you put too much pressure on the lube, and you need a superior lube to keep from leading the barrel. Usually, a better solution is either to use a stronger bullet alloy or a lower breech pressure - but hey, whatever works for you. And that doesn't mean superior lubes aren't worth having, because they are more forgiving than run-of-the-mill lubes.

Bass Ackward
09-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Congratulations!

Try a low velocity GC bullet lubed with the Carnuba Red. I mean a real squibber about 600 fps. Then start cleaning.

I make it standard practice to load 5 outta every box. I use one to foul the bore at the start and one or two to clean up. Especially if the gun has set for a week so that it removes the hardened stuff that was in there.

If the gun is new, it helps to have a copper brush with you and brush between the first few cylinders full until you narrow down which rounds is causing it. You can see and feel it right off. Easiest to remove then too.

smokemjoe
09-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I remember my 1st. cast bullets out of a 357 Mag. over 40 years ago,There was lead sticking out of the bore. Dis I have alot to learn. Joe

WHITETAIL
09-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Nemerifrats,I wouls seguest that you lube the boolets with JPW.
Then after they sit overnight size them and lube with whatever you like.
I find that threr is NO lead left behind.