PDA

View Full Version : John Larson are you here? Help ID this boolit.

Joel Chavez
09-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Several weeks ago, I started reloading for my little boy's 30/30 Handi rifle using some Rem. j-thingys and had some decent luck. A forum member(Bill Puryear) was gracious enough to lend me his Lee soup can mould. Well, the soup can didn't do so hot. Just when I was starting to give up on the whole idea of casting for this rifle, I received a package(USPS Priority) on Friday containing some cast boolits. These little gems were sent by John Larson from Warren MI. I'm not sure if he/you are a member of this forum. My post is two fold. First and formost, John, thank you for your generosity.:drinks: That was way too cool. Second, I'd like to know what mould you used to cast the boolits? Just in case I forgot to mention, they shot awesome. My little boy(9yrs old) has only fired about 70 rounds through a rifle ever. He was able to print 1.0"-1.25" group at 25yds. He fired 19 rounds, but the target only had 13 visible holes. I think he shot several through the same holes. The cool thing is he did it without his much needed glasses. I can't wait to get out to the range again and see(no pun intended) what he can do with proper eye wear. I'll include a pic of the boolit in hopes of identifing the mould used. The boolit weighs 142grs and is about .80" in length. Again, much thanks to John for his generosity. Later.:castmine:

[

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/jazr45acp/100_1072.jpg

castshooter-too
09-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Joel ; Since no one else is willing to reply I will; Please forgive me for I errored by thinking that the boolit was the saeco#630 cowboy boolit weighing nominal 140gr. I ran to my reloading room and measured my samples, you mentioned .80" in lenghth and that is what I measured, only difference being mine having one crimp groove and two lube grooves.casts at 311-312 dia. depending on alloy. I cast mine from hardball alloy at .312 dia. use javelina lube and load with 11.2gr.REDDOT in 30-06.shoots super accurate at 50yds.Looking at the photo you posted the boolit resembles a LEE design.About as close as I can come to assisting.HOPE THIS HELPS IN YOUR QUEST.
BRUCE FROM NY.

Joel Chavez
09-20-2007, 10:25 AM
You're correct Sir. I did manage to communicate with Mr. Larson and he said the the boolit came from a Lee group buy a while back. They shoot great but I think Lee might have missed some QC on the moulds, at least that's what I've read. I'd like to find a similar mould if I can. I'm having a great time reloading for my boys 30/30 Handi rifle. Things are starting to come together slowly, but surely. Thanks for your input. Later.

garandsrus
09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Joel,

Sorry, I just saw this post.... Glad to hear that you got the email I sent!

The boolit is from this group buy: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7786

If you can't find a mold to buy, let me know... I don't want to sell mine but you could use it for a week or two.

John

castshooter-too
09-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Joel; Glad your having great success with your newly aquired boolitts!

My expierence with LEE moulds is laking but from what I 've read
you are correct that their QC from one mould to the next is
a crap shoot.
Can I recommend the previous mentioned saeco#630 mould.
I was like you when I was searching for an ideal plinking/
small game load that was accurate as well as powerful
enough to meet my needs.
Took the dive and struck the HOLY GRAIL the first time running!

Saeco moulds are well made and will consider another puchase
in the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide to choose

BRUCE IN NY

Joel Chavez
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Mr. Larson, a week or two! WOW! Just think of how many boolits I could cast in that time frame? Let's see, 2cav mould dropping them at 30sec intervals(my normal routine ) for say 3hrs. a day, 5 days a week for one week, I end up with...........holy smokes batman!!! 7200 boolits!!!! I do believe I have enough lead for that many boolits.[smilie=1: Thanks for the offer Mr. Larson. If I can't find one I might just take you up on the offer. I'd send some lead thingys back with your mould as a thank you gesture. Again, thanks and hope you have a wonderful weekend. :mrgreen:

garandsrus
09-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Joel,

Your math is wrong.... It's a 6 cavity mold and the boolits drop out easily so the 30 second interval is probably too long per cycle. :drinks:

John

Joel Chavez
09-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Tylenol, where's the tylenol. 6 cavity mould! WOW!!! I'll certainly be keeping you in mind. Hope you have an awesome week.:-D