PDA

View Full Version : Rifle shooting too

Newtire
09-16-2007, 11:58 PM
I got to shoot my peestol some more today and did well. Posted over on the Wheelgun and Handcannon section already.

I also wanted to try out some .30-06 loads with some powder I haven't used in a long time SR 4759. Our local gunshop always seems to be out of it and never orders it. Since I scored a 4 lb. can on Craig's List I have lots. Using the Belding & Mull powder measure I bought off of our own madcaster, I knew the charges were going to be real uniform. I did some real nice shooting with the 311284, RCBS 165 silhouette boolit and the RCBS 130 gr. 7.62X39/M-1 carbine boolit. The group buy 311407 was also real accurate. I used 22.2 gr. with the .30-06 loads except for the 130 gr. RCBS which I used with 18 gr. It was my lucky day. That is some real great powder. I just kind of took an EWAG at the 130 grainers and they were inside a 1/2" group at 50 yds. The RCBS 165 would have been the same except for one "Happy Wanderer" that opened the group up to 1-1/2". The barrel didn't get real hot like it does with other powders either during each 5-shot string.

To top it off, someone left some boxes in the trash can which said 7.62X54 and I picked one up to look at the name "Hot Shot" made in Serbia and found they were full-Boxer Primed. I got too busy at home to check them out but sometime next week I will get to reloading all the stuff I shot today and when my Fat .30 comes in from Lee, I will be ready!

My Turk Mauser loved the 4759 also. With a charge of 20.5 gr. and the Lee 175 grainer (the onliest mold I own in 8mm), it plunked them all right in a neat little 1-1/2" cluster about an inch high with the sights set for 200 M. Open sights, new contact lenses working well, good powder, cool weather, damn nice powder measure, how can ya go wrong.!

Buckshot
09-17-2007, 10:43 AM
..............Sounds like a positive experience all the way around. Only negative to SR4759 is in using a powder measure. Kinda like dispensing charcoal briquets :-)

.......Buckshot

Newtire
09-17-2007, 09:50 PM
..............Sounds like a positive experience all the way around. Only negative to SR4759 is in using a powder measure. Kinda like dispensing charcoal briquets :-)

.......Buckshot

It was indeed a great day. I think the Sunday croud is a little more laid back than the Saturday bunch.

You can say that again about the powder being hard to dispense but that Belding & Mull grain slicer powder measure just gives you a level tubefull every time. I would recommend anyone who doesn't already have one to keep an eye peeled and jump on it. I dipped that powder fairly good with the Lee measures as I did most of my other loads for a long time before I went back to a measure. It was 4759 that turned me off on measures in the first place but this one works and not as slow as you might think. I'm having big fun for sure now though!

Phil
09-17-2007, 11:34 PM
4759 is my all time favorite cast bullet powder. Single digit SD's are common, as is excellent accuracy. It doesn't seem to be too critical on exact charge weight or position as proven by many chronograph sessions. I have developed a technique for using my powder measure with this powder that gives me very good consistancy. Not perfect but good enough to give single digit SD's. Your charge weight seems right in line with my results, about 20/22 grains with all the major WWII era 30/31/32 caliber rifles and the bullets I use, 180/220 grainers. Sounds like you are doing some great shooting with it! Burns clean too, doesn't it?

Cheers,

Phil

bradh
09-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Newtire Barletts has SR4759 Clone at $10 per pound...I have bought it but
haven't had time to load it as yet! www.gibrass.com

1Shirt
09-18-2007, 04:44 PM
The 4759 Clone works like a bandit, meters like ball pdr, and shoots consistant with SR4759 at least in my rifles. So far, have used in it 7x57, 308, 06, 375H&H, and 30-30. Getting ready to order some more.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Newtire
09-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Newtire Barletts has SR4759 Clone at $10 per pound...I have bought it but
haven't had time to load it as yet! www.gibrass.com

Thanks Brad! Just a few more pounds won't hurt none!

fireflyfather
09-18-2007, 09:24 PM
To top it off, someone left some boxes in the trash can which said 7.62X54 and I picked one up to look at the name "Hot Shot" made in Serbia and found they were full-Boxer Primed. I got too busy at home to check them out but sometime next week I will get to reloading all the stuff I shot today and when my Fat .30 comes in from Lee, I will be ready!

That is the same ammo as wolf gold. Same headstamp and everything. I've shot it in that caliber. It's decent ammo. Fully reloadable. I've got 40 rounds or so of gallery loads using Prvi Partizan bullets (same bullets the factory ammo was loaded with) from grafs and red dot. Had no problems with it so far, using a lee loader.

haven't tried cast anything in it yet, but will as soon as I get my smelting set up and molds all sorted out.

ETA: Hotshot is the Century Arms house label for Prvi Partizan ammunition. They then resell it to retailers, but you can also order direct from Century, for a little bit cheaper. It's EXACTLY the same ammo as Wolf Gold. Wolf simply buys it from Prvi Partizan and reboxes it.

Newtire
09-18-2007, 10:59 PM
ETA: Hotshot is the Century Arms house label for Prvi Partizan ammunition. They then resell it to retailers, but you can also order direct from Century, for a little bit cheaper. It's EXACTLY the same ammo as Wolf Gold. Wolf simply buys it from Prvi Partizan and reboxes it.

I deprimed it tonite & measured the primer pocket depth & it seems to me if I remember right that Graf's stuff was a little shallow in depth (which you can fix anyways). This stuff is correct depth for rifle primers so they sit a little below flush & is headstamped "nny". I have seen that on carbine cases I have. Seems alright. Will have them ready for the "fattest-30" mold when it gets here. I'm hoping those guys who shot this stuff have a big get together next weekend to see who can shoot the most...something like that.