PDA

View Full Version : 9mm rifle bullet reccomendation

quickshot
09-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey all! I need a recommendation for an accurate bullet in 9mm for my 995 carbine. I won't be pushing it out past 50 yards. This is mainly to see how much accuracy I can squeeze out of this little abused carbine! Well wadda ya'll suggest? Got any fvorites?

quickshot

mike in co
09-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Hey all! I need a recommendation for an accurate bullet in 9mm for my 995 carbine. I won't be pushing it out past 50 yards. This is mainly to see how much accuracy I can squeeze out of this little abused carbine! Well wadda ya'll suggest? Got any fvorites?

quickshot

the 135 currently listed in the group buys.....

PPpastordon
09-17-2007, 07:36 PM
I had good luck with some 150 gr. SWC's from a friend's mould. Don't remember what mould it was, but a "somewhat like a Keith" boolit. Shot good in the little Firestar I had at the time, also.
PPpastordon

Buckshot
09-17-2007, 08:41 PM
..............Slug that dude first. You may also be able to look at 38 cal boolit designs also. My Witness in 38 Super just adores the Lyman 147gr FNBB, but it also shoots the RCBS 38-162SWC like a champ.

Re: The above, mike the ID of a fired case that ideally had a decent load in it to see what boolit ID will fit when chambered. Since the case had some springback the dimension indicated should give you a pretty good idea of what the chamber will tolerate.

...............Buckshot

medicstimpy
09-18-2007, 12:07 PM
As posted on another thread... I just finally got my 9mm AR15 and after breaking her in with factory ammo, I tried some of my 9mm SWC's to see if they feed. THey do so that's what I've been using since.

Since you are shooting 50m, these might be what you are looking for.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x300/medicstimpy/9mmSemi-Wads.jpg

They are Lee 105 grain SWC's for 38/357. I resized them to 9mm and relube them with Lee Liquid Alox. I looked at other SWC's in 38 to resize and most are too long and will seat too deep in the 9mm case. But these short little things are almost the same length as a 9mm bullet and can use the same load I usually use for LCRN bullets, so I didn't have to change my measuring setup.

SWC in 9mm is so cool! :)

MTWeatherman
09-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Lee 356-120-TC. However, slug your barrel before making the decision. My 995 slugs .3572 and needs a .358 bullet to shoot well. Hi-Points...pistols and carbines tend to run about .357 so lend themselves to .38/.357 bullets more so than 9mm. I had to lap out that Lee mould but it is a shooter. Red Dot at 3.7 grs with that bullet (125 grs after lapping) will consistently do abut 1.75 " at 50 yds. I've tried a number of .357 cast bullets also...up to and including 158 grs. All shoot reasonably well except the Lee 358-125 FP...group size is more than double the others. Another good choice in the .357 bullets is the Lee 358-140 SWC. However, to use the lighter bullets suspect that 105 gr. already mentioned would be a good choice. Although it is one I haven't tried...looks just like a shortened 140.

Be advised, I did lap out the throat a bit on my 995 to accomodate those heavier SWC bullets...the magazine size allows that. Not necessarily recommending that but seating depth on the 158 SWC was pretty deep without it. I no longer use those heavier bullets...mainly did to see what type of performance I could deliver from a 9mm. I now have a slight amount of freebore in using those 120 gr. 9mm bullets, but it hasn't affected accuracy.

The best investment you can make in getting that 995 to shoot well is to invest about $60 and put the ATI stock on it. I had frequent fliers due to bedding issues with that original flimsy, flexible 995 stock. The ATI cut the group sizes in half.

You can significantly boost performance in that 995 by using slower powders to take advantage of that barrel length...blue dot works well and accuracy holds. I've done so but don't recommend it for long term use. Due to the full blowback design, the slide takes a beating and you'll be sending it back to Hi-Point after about 1000-1500 rounds. I'm speaking from experience...and yes, Hi-Point fixed it free of charge...no questions asked. The 995 was back in 10 days complete with a note saying my loads were too hot and included two free magazines "for your trouble". They truly do have the best warranty in the business.