PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tool #?

Hawkeye45
05-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Ladies & gentleman, presented for your edification a genuine ?. I have always wanted to use that line ever since I heard it in the carnival.

I picked up this tool at an estate sale last week and have no idea what the original use for it was. I am thinking the multitool #2, since the original one is a rock.

If any body recognizes it let me know.

Mr. Ed.

DIRT Farmer
05-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Yep it looks like you could do "something" with that.

theperfessor
05-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Hammer, hog ringer, fence staple puller, two different size pipe wrenches, one handle end may be for pulling nails, what else?

Looks like a farmer's tool. Interesting!

Artful
05-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Fencing or Lineman tool - early edition alright maybe telegraph era

Some other early examples
Modern rendition

Old Iron Sights
05-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Pretty neat whatever it is. Any printing on it?

Mk42gunner
05-22-2013, 09:48 PM
I've had vise grips, but this is the first time I have seen a tool with an actual vise in the grip.

No idea what the original use was meant to be.

Robert

runfiverun
05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
bet you could shoe a horse with it too.

Hawkeye45
05-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Old iron..there is no printing on it anywhere.

So far your guess is as good as mine.:coffeecom

Me. Ed

H.Callahan
05-23-2013, 09:57 AM
That looks suspiciously like a tire/wheel weight tool that we used to have at a gas station (back when they were "service" stations) in the 1960's. Has a couple of extra do-dads that ours didn't, but looks very similar otherwise.

snuffy
05-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Fencing tool. That tool alone could be used putting barbed wire onto wood posts to build a fence.

Of course you'd need a post hole digger, two sizes of posts, a block and tackle for stretching the wire. Corner posts were much bigger, had a brace on the inside, and a long straight stretch of wire needed a bigger post every so often to anchor the wire for stretching it.

The original fence my dad and I made lasted about 25 years. The cedar posts rotted off at the ground. We replaced them with the then NEW steel posts. A post slammer was made of a steel pipe big enough to slip over the steel post. About 10# of lead was poured in the top, and handles were welded on the sides. It made short work of setting those posts into the ground, unless a rock was encountered.

A day of building fence was a LOT of work! Mom knew we'd be hungry for supper, so extra food was on the table. But a look down a long straight run of new fence was a feeling of satisfaction that is--,, well priceless!

Dad was a perfectionist. You could see that in everything he made. Sometimes I would fight that saying that's good enough! His answer was always, "do the best you can with what you've been given to work with". "THEN it will be good enough." It has served me well in my life!

Geez, another book![smilie=1: You must be getting tired when I go telling stories. But my clan has come to say that uncle Jim tells real good stories, so be it!