PDA

View Full Version : Another 'high prices at the gunshow' thread

Ohio Rusty
05-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Ohio gun show on Sunday. 22's were mostly $60.00 a brick everywhere. One fellow had bricks for $80.00 and I told him he was a gouger and I hope he has to eat them. He just shrugged his shoulders and gave me one of those F-off looks ..... It seems I may have not been the only person that told him that over the last 2 days. Another guy had powder, nothing common like Unique or 2400, and ALL his powders started at $50 a bottle. Even half bottles that were used were $50.00.

I did find a couple bricks of winchester large pistol primers for $32 a brick. The seller had 5 bricks. I bought 2 bricks and told the lady although I could use more, I'll leave the others bricks for other shooters that need them. The cheapest brick of primers elsewhere in the show was $55 for a brick, and the outside of the boxes looked like they had some water damage. Everything at the show was out of control. I was only there for a couple of hours and left. Nothing I could afford really ........ Seems all the gunshows I've been to this year and last were like that price wise. I think I'll stay away from them for a while ..... I have more pleasure casting and at the reloading bench. Things surely will come back from the insane in a year or two ....

Ohio Rusty ><>

Love Life
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
How evil....

btroj
05-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Evil doesn't begin to describe it.......

TES
05-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I think LL is being sarcastic. Love Life how funny! You were the 1st to respond to this thread...

Love Life
05-22-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't find it humorous at all. I was the 1st to see it, so I was the 1st to respond. Just the way things work out.

GaryN
05-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Powder, primers, and 22 LR still short around here. There are a whole lot of guns for sale though. Everybody thinks they are going to sell them for what they paid. Ain't gonna' happen.

41 mag fan
05-22-2013, 08:47 PM
That's alright, when people see prices at the shows are out of control, they'll stop going. Plus we got spring/summer coming up. Peoples attention turns to yard work, gardening ect ect.
So when people stop going, those who want to gouge, will be eating their lunch and wasted money on tables...it all comes back around....karma!!

Love Life
05-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Thank you for letting me know what I meant, TES (tical).

Wis. Tom
05-22-2013, 10:45 PM
When Obummer gets the 5 cents or more, a bullet federal tax through, you will think $80 a brick was a deal. For anyone living in Calif., does the tax that concerns ammo, effect reloaders, as in a tax on components, like primers, or bullets, and did it pass into a law now?

TES
05-22-2013, 10:46 PM
you can call me the double dangle

Ed Barrett
05-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I was at the LGS today, he had a thing I have never seen before. Colt brand 22 lr and pistol ammo. From what I could tell from reading the boxes it's Russian made. The brass on the center fires was marked "Colt". Has anyone else seen this?

dakotashooter2
05-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Wouldn't it be fun to go into one of those shows with 1/2 a pallet of .22s and sell them for $20/brick....?

btroj
05-24-2013, 07:07 AM
I never really viewed fun shows as great places to find a bargain. Maybe on occasion but not the norm. I always viewed them as a place to look, see a price, whistle, and walk away.

Rare was the "bargain" at a gunshow in my experience. Other than a couple vendors who sold ammo or components there weren't many good deals.

jsheyn
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
over here on the PA side last gun show I went was pretty much an AR show with an ocasional table that had pistols with a slim scattering of revolvers. Other then that prices were high. However I did manage to find furniture for my new contender barrels.

dtknowles
05-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Except for the past year when I have bought nothing, for the last decade I bought most of my primers and powder at gun shows, the guy I use most always had reasonable prices, better than I can do mail order/online because of hazmat and shipping. I have not gone to the recent gun shows because of the expectation of high prices it would be a waste of the entry fee.

Tim

I never really viewed fun shows as great places to find a bargain. Maybe on occasion but not the norm. I always viewed them as a place to look, see a price, whistle, and walk away.

Rare was the "bargain" at a gunshow in my experience. Other than a couple vendors who sold ammo or components there weren't many good deals.

H.Callahan
05-24-2013, 10:35 AM

over here on the PA side last gun show I went was pretty much an AR show with an ocasional table that had pistols with a slim scattering of revolvers. Other then that prices were high. However I did manage to find furniture for my new contender barrels.

Except for the past year when I have bought nothing, for the last decade I bought most of my primers and powder at gun shows, the guy I use most always had reasonable prices, better than I can do mail order/online because of hazmat and shipping. I have not gone to the recent gun shows because of the expectation of high prices it would be a waste of the entry fee.
These three comments pretty much sum up the current gun show experience, IMO. Back in the day, gun shows were more like garage sales where there were a diversity of items at a reasonable price. It was a place for folks to buy/sell/trade items with others -- not a place for the vendors to come and try to make a living off of gun shows.

For the past few years, it has been AR-everything and ridiculous pricing on everything. Even back before the current craziness, it was common to find components selling for the same price or more than in the LGS. Given the entry fees and the gas to get to the GS, it is almost never a bargain. Plus, it seems a lot of the vendors have developed an attitude. Used to be most were friendly and helpful. Now, if you ain't got money in your hand to give to them, they don't want to bother with you.

I still go on occasion hoping that things will get back to like they used to be, but I seriously doubt it ever will be.

starmac
05-24-2013, 01:57 PM
I would suppose that the ar thing at gun shows was pretty much dictated by the buying public, I myself have zero interest in tactical arms, and just walk by those tables, but they are there because they sell. Just look at the companies that have sprung up building them, that wouldn't have happened if they were not popular.

Dale in Louisiana
05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Powder, primers, and 22 LR still short around here. There are a whole lot of guns for sale though. Everybody thinks they are going to sell them for what they paid. Ain't gonna' happen.

Thank God that we have the internet and UPS and an FedEx. It expands the reach of one's shopping to encompass the nation. If I buy six pounds of powder off an online vendor, even with shipping and that HazMat fee it's cheaper per pound than anything I might find locally. I've been following this and a couple of other forums to see the latest news on who might have powder or primers.

I hate to say it, but it's been quite a while since I bought anything at a gun show. The vendors who populate our local show are nuts.

dale in Louisiana

Dale in Louisiana
05-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't it be fun to go into one of those shows with 1/2 a pallet of .22s and sell them for $20/brick....?

Anybody who shows up with a decent price is rapidly bought out by vultures who will then put the stuff on their table at a markup of two or three hundred percent.

dale in Louisiana

Hogdaddy
05-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Last brick I bought was a Dicks,, They had plenty of 525 Rem golden bullet. With a one per day limit ; ) PS All I needed was one box
H/D

captaint
05-24-2013, 05:18 PM
I have bought most of my powders and nearly all of my primers at gun shows. I have never been able to make myself pay the hazmat shipping. That, however, may change. Really, the powders and primers is THE reason I even went to the shows. I miss the old days. Mike

TXGunNut
05-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Up until about 15 yrs ago I enjoyed gun shows. I saw guns and merchandise there that I'd likely never see anywhere else. You could buy a gun or equipment from a fellow enthusiast, not a dealer. You could talk to folks and actually learn something about guns or other products. Not much to do there nowadays other than buy stuff and hope you didn't get ripped off. I hope the silliness going on at gun shows doesn't screw it up for retailers and their customers. Time will tell.

otter5555
05-24-2013, 09:39 PM
quit going to gunshows 25 years ago. prices were plum stupid. picked me a good lds and always got better prices and better service on guns/primers/powder. i live in the wilderness now but still have a great lgs a few hours away. great service and prices even now.

Holescreek
05-24-2013, 11:31 PM
The price of a brick of .22's was $65 at the OGCA show on sunday, maybe the $80 guy had taken enough flack by then. Federal .223's were $500/case. No one was buying either of them so I take it that people are fed up and going to let them eat the losses. I didn't see much powder for sale, there rarely is. I found a decent supply of powder at a shop in Vandalia OH, Olde English Gun Shop for any of you locals.

VintageRifle
05-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Local shop here is starting to get a supply of 22lr in. Walmart had been getting 45acp, .223, and 9mm in and it is staying on the shelf for more than 2 days before it is gone. Was gone in an hour before.

Primers are also coming in, but going out in 2 days at the local shop. Powder is still not being restocked yet.

Local prices $35/1k primers.

22lr CCI SV $35/500 round brick.

Rem thunderbolts $22/525 round brick.

Federal Target 22lr $6.50/50.

555 round Winchester bulk 22lr $24 with firearms purchase.

Inventory quickly changes, but restock time is getting faster.

Jammersix
05-26-2013, 06:35 PM
If I had known this was coming, I'd have sunk every penny I could raise into ammo a year ago, and I'd be rich, now.

sparky45
05-26-2013, 06:53 PM
I gotta tell ya; I love Gun shows, but that's what they are, A SHOW! The last 6 or 7 guns I have purchased have come via the Internet, usually from a private seller, not a store front retailer. I pay the price I feel is right and haven't been disappointed yet. With the exception of a couple of the guns I purchased all have been NIB items. I have to factor in the shipping and FFL transfer fees, but I still beat the LGS and Gun show prices. I live in a rural setting and we only have one LGS and I used to support him until he upped his transfer fees to $50 per gun. So in that regard I don't need to support the local shop since they abandoned me first. All my reloading components are purchased through a neighboring Shooting Club to which I belong and they are affiliated with Graf and Sons and get Dealer cost on all things Gun, including ammo. But, Gun shows do provide an excellent atmosphere in which to dream.

dagger dog
05-26-2013, 10:15 PM
There was a time the gun show primers were 15 bucks a thousand a 100 count bag of 223 or 308 brass was 20 bucks along with a15-19 dollar pound of powder. I always went to the shows and bought there 'cause there wasn't any other source, BassPro,Gander Mtn.,Calbelas wasn't local then, and most of the smaller shops couldn't wouldn't carry enough inventory, hazmat fee's put me off mail order what you saved on pricing was eat up in hazmat shipping, had about 3 small plus 2 large shows every year,so I always bought there and stockpiled. Glad I got into that habit !

Jump forward 15 years you can't find components or ammo anywhere at sane pricing, so I shoot a little less reload a little less and conserve more!

But I ain't gonna feed the fat calf, it'll starve if it waits on me to buy a 16 $ 500 brick of 22 ammo for 60 bucks!

lonewelder
05-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Shows have changed due to the market and current events.I don't think they will ever be the same.I am afraid "the shows" will price their self right out of buisness.If they can't get the ticket sales and parking fees they will be gone.I started going to shows with my dad in the early 80s.

on a different note.What is it with 22lr.What is the demand.They don't even store well?

uscra112
05-27-2013, 02:35 AM
If I had known this was coming, I'd have sunk every penny I could raise into ammo a year ago, and I'd be rich, now.

I started keeping substantial stocks of .22LR, powder and primers, etc. when Clinton was pResident. I don't count myself rich as a consequence. I count myself safe from famines.

marlin39a
05-27-2013, 08:08 AM
The last Gun Show up here in Prescott Valley in April was crazy. The line to get in was backed up and not moving, as everyone had guns to check in at the door. All looking for ridiculous prices. The gougers were out in force in the parking lots looking to sell AR's & AK's, and yes 22LR ammo at inflated prices. I went and had coffee, and came back later. The line was longer at 10 AM than at opening. I said the hell with it. Another one coming up this weekend. I'll be pulling weeds.

sparky45
05-27-2013, 12:04 PM
If you've ever attended the Big Show in Tulsa, you know what marlin39a is talking about. However, that show always amazes me with the stark amount of space for the show as well as the number of tables being displayed. I have never bought or sold a firearm at this Show (I go twice a year, spring and fall) but there is always something I "need" that I wind up taking home. It's a costly trip for me cause it starts with transportation cost; meals for me and my brother and then the cost of whatever I purchase. If totaled it far out weighs the cost of setting at home and buying the same items via the Internet. But, I would be missing the atmosphere of the Show, the possibility of buying something I didn't know I "needed". And in a way its fellowship; not the religious kind, but the fellowship one attains from being around a large bunch of like minded people. Cost effective, no way; but 100% entertainment.

gbrown
05-27-2013, 03:34 PM
With almost 50 years of gunshow experiences, I can remember when gunshows had educational displays and a lot of things not gun related, like a gunshow/flea market atmosphere. Lots of individuals with small lots of things for sale. I remember a lot of the gun shows at the old Astro Hall. They were huge. Everything under the sun for sale there. Bought a few guns and traded a few there. There would be all sorts of accessories--holsters, magazines, components, etc. I guess due to the increase in hall rentals fees, the prices for the spaces went up. What I see now are bigger commercial ventures, a lot of pawn shops, a lot of prepper type stuff (food, equipment, etc.), and T shirts. Few components, lots of AR's, and few used guns--rifle or pistol. Some will have some displays, like over at George R Brown or the Reliant one. By the time you get through with parking and entry, there went any savings if you do find a good deal. I now only do one gunshow and only go there to pick up an order from my powder/primer supplier. I have not seen a good deal at any of them in the past 10-15 years.

ncbearman
05-27-2013, 03:41 PM
The saddest thing about the gougers, whoever they are is that most people have a very short memory. Once all this levels off and that gouger offers a "great deal" someone will jump all over it no matter how bad they got gouged 6 months prior. So the gougers keep coming out on top.

starmac
05-27-2013, 04:22 PM
If one doesn't put some entertainment value on them, it wouldn't pay to go to most of them.
I went to a car show yesterday, there was nothing there for sale at any price, but it was still well worth the 4 buck fee.
Our gun shows here still have a lot of private traders, and a lot of gun related things are always for sale, used guns still way out number new ones, and traditional arms outnumber the tacticool stuff. if these things changed I would not put as much entertainment value on them. If I ever drove up and there was a line a hundred yards long to get in the door, I wouldn't even bother parking, as I'm not into big crowds.

Recluse
05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Going to a gun show in today's times is a lot like going to a cathouse. You're gonna get screwed and you're gonna pay way too much while doing so.

But some folks are just that desperate, I reckon.

:coffee:

gbrown
05-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Going to a gun show in today's times is a lot like going to a cathouse. You're gonna get screwed and you're gonna pay way too much while doing so.

But some folks are just that desperate, I reckon.

:coffee:

+1 on that statement. I'm right there with you. ;-)