PDA

View Full Version : 6 banger problems, need some help here

BigSlick
09-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I was casting my butt off today, made a wad of bullets too.

Near the end, one 6 banger started having issues cutting the sprues and having them drop off the plate easily as they should.

Looks like the sprue plate is (maybe) warped, not exactly sure.

It did come loose, so I lightly tightened it up. Not enough to bugger the crush washer, just enough to keep it from backing all the way out.

Any ideas regarding the best way to fix things ? I know, I need a set screw, that will happen in the next hour or so.

Should I call Lee and get another sprue plate or is my diagnosis off ?

First 800 or so bullets, cut and dropped perfectly. I was waiting for the pot to get up to temp again after adding some ingots.

When the temp returned to just a little frosty (where I like it) I started casting again. It only took two or three drops to get the bullets casting nice again.

Everything was cool, except the sprues were harder than hell to cut, and they would stick in the sprue holes.

Someone help me out here, cause this ain't gonna work.

GB mould too.

Love it otherwise and the other one I bought with it drops excellent bullets from my first impressions.

I got everything put away, so I'll go thru them all and see if I missed any burrs or anything.

Thanks in advance for any insight ;)
________
Fix Ps3 (http://fixps3.info/)

Bret4207
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I'd remove the plate and flatten it on 400 grit paper on glass or a real flat stone. Then check for burrs, use a magnifier if needed. Hit the sprue holes with a carpenters lead pencil and give her a try.

drinks
09-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I understand the Lee 6 hole sprue plate has a deliberate valley on the underside, and it is a no-no to flatten the plate.
Ask Lee first!

Dale53
09-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I recommend you immediately get some Bull Plate lube for your sprue plate. That won't help cutting the sprue but it'll pretty much eliminate them sticking to the sprue plate.

Depending on the alloy, I have had six cavity moulds that had a lot of resistance to cutting the sprues when starting simply because the mould was too cold (making the metal a lot harder). That was solved by pre-heating the mould on a hot plate.

Just a thought...

Dale53

MT Gianni
09-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Swap it out with another top plate and determine if the problem is the top plate or the mold top. Gianni

rmb721
09-16-2007, 09:21 PM
When I use a Lee six banger, I pour all six with cavities in one continious pour. With all six sprues all connected together, they fall off easily. I also use the Bruce B. method of speed casting.

trickyasafox
09-16-2007, 10:53 PM
i have 1 6 cav, and i find its much harder to cut the sprues if i put direct lateral pressure on the handle. if i put a little bit of pressure on the mold and the sprue handle to press them a little bit together, the sprues cut much better

Bass Ackward
09-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Midway sells Lee 6 cavity plates for @ $6.00. I keep a spare because they do dull and the alternative is to mold with less cavities. Especially when you first start out and cutting sprues is the most difficult. Gotta be gentle.

Bret4207
09-17-2007, 07:06 AM
I understand the Lee 6 hole sprue plate has a deliberate valley on the underside, and it is a no-no to flatten the plate.
Ask Lee first!

Never had a problem with that. Maybe it's something new?

SharpsShooter
09-17-2007, 07:18 AM
I recommend you immediately get some Bull Plate lube for your sprue plate. That won't help cutting the sprue but it'll pretty much eliminate them sticking to the sprue plate. I have had six cavity moulds that had a lot of resistance to cutting the sprues when starting simply because the mould was too cold (making the metal a lot harder). That was solved by pre-heating the mould on a hot plate.

Just a thought...

Dale53

Dale is right on the mark. BullPlate will solve the sticking issue and it sounds like you are cutting the sprues a bit too late too. The 6 cavity moulds have to be run fairly hot or they will become troublesome. Cut the sprues while hot and soft and it goes smoother.

When I use a Lee six banger, I pour all six with cavities in one continious pour. With all six sprues all connected together, they fall off easily.

I do likewise and my sprues are all one piece that goes right back into the pot. I start pouring the cavity closest to the handles and proceed to pull the mould to me, without stopping the flow from, my bottom pour. With a few pours, you quickly figure out what speed you need to move the mould in relation to the pots flow rate so that good fill out is the norm.

SS