PDA

View Full Version : Lee 30- 230 grain bt mold-suscess

shaune1022
05-21-2013, 09:11 PM
I've tried casting with the new Lee 300 Blackout boolit mold a few times with poor results. Been using a 50/50 mix of clip-on and sticky ww. First thing I ever did was to use a new razor blade and very carefully remove some machining burrs on the blocks,then smoked it with matches. Then cast some-no good results. Second thing I did was Lee-ment the mold. Cast some-no good results. Third thing was to re-smoke it then use scotch-bright to very carefully clean the carbon out of the vent lines area. Cast some-better results. Forth thing was to just try different angles and what-not while crossing my fingers. Bingo!!! I have molds that require the flow to drop straight down to the bottom to get good fill out, and some molds that don't care how I pour the lead. But this mold needs the flow to hit the spur plate and swirle a little to get the base to fill out nice. Hope this helps someone else with theirs.

Shaune

NSP64
05-21-2013, 09:17 PM
I pour the same boolit but I ladle with a Lyman ladle. I tilt the mold handle down a bit pour the front cavity and let it overflow into the back cavity.

shaune1022
05-21-2013, 10:54 PM
I guess I left that info out. I'm using the Lee 20 pound bottom pour pot.

NSP64
05-22-2013, 04:48 AM
with big boolits, 12ga slug, 340 gr .429, all loooong rifle boolits, I found ladle pouring is better. I use a lee bottom pour pot and just ladle off the top. I use a ladle all the time now.