PDA

View Full Version : Success with the H&R 45 Colt Classic Carbine!

tomf52
05-21-2013, 04:53 PM
After a lot of trial and error, I finally got this gun to shoot well. I learned that a full engagement of the latch and locking shelf is necessary and then found that the rifle really likes 7.4gr W231 behind the Lee 200gr RNFP bullet. I don't havve a working camera but had five shots touching at fifty yards. The latch shelf and latch were way out of specs but some careful work with files and stones made it right. Happy camper here.

Gtek
05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Congratulations on the win, does it not stink that you are required to fit your finished, done, boxed, sold gun. No QC, No pride, welcome to the new world. Yes they are only a couple hundred, but there are only a couple of parts. Chaps my backside everyone I hear about one. Gtek

TMenezes
05-21-2013, 09:49 PM
There's one of these at my local gunsmiths that I was thinking of picking. But don't know that I will now, I would hate to take a file to a brand new gun! Did you have to reblue it afterwards?

fcvan
05-21-2013, 10:04 PM
I absolutely love my classic carbine. I have had so much fun trying different loads for the carbine on mild gallery round ball loads to some shoulder bruising barn burners. I had so much fun I had to find a Vaquero in 45 Colt so I could work some loads for both. Good times. Enjoy your rifle

olafhardt
05-22-2013, 04:33 AM
My 500s&w Handirifle is pure fun. We have loaded it with powder charges of 6.4 grains up to 40tgrains.

tomf52
05-22-2013, 08:05 AM
TMenezes asked:There's one of these at my local gunsmiths that I was thinking of picking. But don't know that I will now, I would hate to take a file to a brand new gun! Did you have to reblue it afterwards?

The area worked on is totally out of sight when the gun is closed. We're talkikng about a 1/8" by 1/2" area. A quick touch of cold blue hides it anyway. Unfortunately a lot of the guns manufactured today have to be "tweaked" by the purchaser.

Gohon
05-22-2013, 11:41 AM
I have owned several H&R's in the past and presently have a 30-30, 357 max, and two 45 Colts. I've never had to take a file to any of these guns or any of the ones in the past. The mistake a lot of people make is leaving a film of oil on the latch and shelf. Leaving a film of oil in that area will cause a different lockup each time you close the action. Keep these areas dry of oil and you won't have a problem.

tomf52
05-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Was aware of the oil thing and oil or no oil made no difference, at least in mine. I know it does in some of the Handi's.