PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting opened yesterday and...

PatMarlin
09-16-2007, 11:03 AM
My doggies are sporting their yellow crime sceen caution tape. Sorry for the blurry shot but it's hard to take pics of fast moving dogs in the morning.. :mrgreen:

NVcurmudgeon
09-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Pat, which of the dogs is the lucky foundling you posted about a few months ago?

PatMarlin
09-16-2007, 12:28 PM
The one on the Left Bill. Snoopy Dogbone Green. He's now bigger than my other 2 dogs.. :roll: :mrgreen:

What an awesome smart dog he turned out to be. He's an up and coming good guard dog too.. :drinks:

Somthing about Snoop is very special. He's definitely not an ordinary dog.

PatMarlin
09-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Learned he's a Catahoulla and farm breed mix.

MT Gianni
09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Great pictures, Pat. Keep them safe. Gianni

Bass Ackward
09-16-2007, 07:45 PM
That tape is kind a bogus, looks like horns with the naked eye to me. PETA would up in arms.

Spray paint something on them .... like advertising. Just print small lest you run out of dog. Would be embarrassing if you ended up having to leave off the word Flux.

:bigsmyl2:

Duckiller
09-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Pat your post is discouraging, Flagging to keep pets safe? I thought you lived in an area of low population. If I go deer hunting in Angeles National Forest I know I have to wear a flax vest and if I do see a deer I am not sure if I should try to shoot it or duck behind rock/trees to avoid getting shot by a myriad of other hunters. I thought/hoped that there were areas in northern California where one could hunt without worrying about getting shot by another hunter.

PatMarlin
09-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Well all it takes is one fool to shoot my dog and it's one fool to many. The fools IMO are the road hunters all dressed head to toe in camo, camo makeup, and riding in a camo rig. Those are the fools that would shoot at anything, and they are not locals.

I've never ran into another hunter out in the woods, it's just my road is traveled by road hunters, and my dogs are free range to run as they wish.

DanWalker
09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
CATAHOULAS ROCK!!!!!
If my beagles ever die(before I do)
I intend to get a catahoula. Toughest dogs alive, and the sweetest.
They are absolutely devoted to their owners and will put themselves in grave danger to protect the ones they love, without one seconds worth of hesitation.
I have no doubt they'd stand toe to toe with a grizzly if it was required to save their owner.

NVcurmudgeon
09-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Nice looking dogs, and Snoop was very lucky that you came along, but you are lucky to find such a great dog. You made lots of points with my wife and I for the rescue.

PatMarlin
09-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the kind words and the advertising idea BA.. :mrgreen:

Snoop is getting braver everyday. He's takin' his time, most likely from being left in the woods as an infant, and probably watched the rest of his siblings get chewed up by preditors, but he's tough. He made it.

I'll never forget the look on his little face when he ran out of the woods and flagged us down in the middle of nowhere when we drove by that night.

floodgate
09-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Speaking of camo, does anyone know where I can buy Tactical Dental Floss in Camo Colors?

PatMarlin
09-17-2007, 12:32 AM
I don't off hand but I'm sure those road hunter doods will.. :mrgreen:

scrapcan
09-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Pat,

Catahoola dogs are something. I watched a cowboy with two of them bring rouge bulls in from the brush ( about 300 acres of the thickest willows in this area, too dense to move through, and too tall to see not to knock the bulls down)here in Southeast Wyoming. The rancher (an old friend of the family) had two that they had tried to shoot, rope, run, etc.. and were not successful. They hired this guy to come in and bring them out so they could drop them in their tracks.

He took his two dogs and went in on horse back. The dogs brought the first bull out in the open one attached to the nose the other nipping behind. a push and pull affair. They put that bull in the trailer by themselves. two dogs that were dwarfed in size. The second bull took the two dogs and the cowboy horseback. he roped a fore foot and the dogs keep the bull on the fight so they got him out in the open. That one went into the direct as soon as they cleared the brush and he got the dogs to stop the bull for a clean shot.

Those dogs were just as billed above, they would do anything for that guy. each had his own special spot on the front seat of the pickup and no one but them sat there. We road in the back seat when we took his truck trailer and horse to were the bulls were keeping hid. He said the same thing went for his wife, when they went somewhere they took her vehicle and the dogs rode in the back seat of it, but not in their truck.

But as Dan said a good beagle is something also.

Boz330
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
IIRC Catahoullas were bred as war dogs initially. The idea was to send them into towns ahead of the troops to run out the enemy and or eat them. I read an article recently that they are very popular as cattle dogs here in certain parts of KY.
The fact that you saved this dog will probably make him extremely devoted to you and your wife.

Bob

PatMarlin
09-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Awesome account Manley.. :drinks:

Thanks for the history and info. I think someone said they were brought here or bread by the Spaniards, and Catahoula is a parish or county in Louisiana?

That's cool if so, I got some Spaniard blood in me.. :mrgreen:

I'm sitting here in our little 15' self contained RV trailer up in Happy Camp, Ca this morning and Snoop is sleeping alongside the bed. He and I have a big remoldeling repair job to start here shortly.. :drinks: