PDA

View Full Version : Wha' ya' think?

Jim
09-16-2007, 09:04 AM
I have a Lee TL .452-230 TC mold. The boolit has a beveled base. Ya' reckon I could turn it upside down and use it as a wadcutter with a light load just fer shootin' paper tigers? Oh yeah, the gun is a 1917 Colt New Service in .45 Colt with the chambers bored straight through.

44man
09-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Holy smokes, with chambers bored straight through I don't see what difference anything will make! You can't get a straight start no hows. :roll:

scb
09-16-2007, 11:58 AM
I sure wouldn't want to be standing next to you when you touch that thing off. Good Luck

leftiye
09-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Onliest slooshun I can suggest is to get sum 47-70 cases sized & turned down to chamber diameter & cut to cylinder length. If you're lucky the cases might be thick enough to make up for the chamber throats being removed. Yu'll still have problems keeping the boolits in the cases- run a cannelure on them at the front of the front driving band? If this doesn't work, have the barrel reamed and use it with birdshot loads (LOL).

PPpastordon
09-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Actually, it was my understanding that all of those 1917 Colts had straight through chambers - along with some other Colts. That is the reason .45 Colt cartridges were (and possibly still are) loaded with .456 diameter hollow based soft lead boolits in the factory loads. Upon firing, the boolit bases are blown outward in the chamber and then the base, along with the rest of the boolit, is sized right back down in the barrel's throat and barrel. Some have been known to be quite accurate.
PPpastordon

PPpastordon
09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Actually, it was my understanding that all of those 1917 Colts had straight through chambers - along with some other Colts. That is the reason .45 Colt cartridges were (and possibly still are) loaded with .456 diameter hollow based soft lead boolits in the factory loads. Upon firing, the boolit bases are blown outward in the chamber and then the base, along with the rest of the boolit, is sized right back down in the barrel's throat and barrel. Some have been known to be quite accurate.
PPpastordon

Jim
09-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Actually, all things considered, the ol' gal is fairly accurate. I wouldn't enter an IPSC match with it but, I did put a fair group on the paper at 25 Yds. with it.
Leftiye,
What I DID do to solve the jump problem is a bit unusual. I bought some S&W .460 cases and cut them down to fit the exact length of the cylinder. The boolit gets pushed all the way in so that the nose is flush with the mouth of the case. It looks mighty peculiar, but it works like a charm.

44man
09-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Now that is the smartest idea yet! :drinks: