PDA

View Full Version : Which LEE Lube Sizer To Buy

trapper300RUM
05-21-2013, 02:04 AM
I am going to be casting my 44 cal bullets & i am wanting to know which LEE Lube & Sizer Kit will i need to get the .429 or the .430 i will be using these cast bullets in my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag 9.5" bbl

warboar_21
05-21-2013, 02:14 AM
You will need to slug your cylinder and your barrel to determine what one you will need.

gray wolf
05-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Your throats are most likely .432 or very close to that. .432 work very well in my SRH 7.5"
But slugging the throats is a very good thing to do, .430 will probably drop right through your throats.
Your question indicates you may need a little schooling in this area. The folks here will give you all the facts, and why one size may be better than the other. Then you will see some contradicting opinions. Listen to it all and try to put it together in your head.
I would see if some folks could send you some ( a few ) bullets of different sizes.

mdi
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
FWIW; I size my cast bullets the same diameter as the cylinder throats (my Ruger is .431"+/- .0005", so my bullets are sized .431"). I purchased a Lee sizer die from Ranch Dog that sizes to .432" to use in my Puma. You also can "hone" a die out a few thousandths quite easily yourself. How to measure http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_MeasuringGunDimensions.htm

You can go with the .430" but you will probably get leading in your Ruger, and have to open it up a few thousandths. Lee at one time would machine a die to your dimensions, but you'd have to call them to see if they still do.