PDA

View Full Version : American Pioneer Powder

Sergeant Earthworm
05-20-2013, 10:20 PM
I'd like to try American Pioneer fffg in my Pietta .44 1858 Army. I've always used fffg BP but have been told by a local dealer that American Pioneer burns clean and leaves no corrosive residue.

Anyone care to share experience/opinions?

wap41
05-20-2013, 11:06 PM
I've switched to American Pioneer Powder for use in my revolvers,1860 colts and ruger old armys.I can shoot 30 -40 times with out any cleaning.It has minimal fouling and is extermly easy to clean.Mfr recommends just warm water.

bubba.50
05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
it may work different in frontstuffers but I don't know how much faith i'd put in that non-corrosive claim. I loaded some 45/70 with it & the brass was turnin' green before I could even shoot a 3 shot group. your mileage may vary.

LivewireBlanco
05-21-2013, 12:39 AM
I use Jim Shockey's Gold FFFG in my 1860 Pietta. It's supposed to be kind of like a premium version of American Pioneer Powder. I like it a lot and it really does clean up easy. I've gone close to 50 rounds at one session with no cleaning at all and I probably could have gone on quite a bit longer. I don't have a spot of rust anywhere on my revolver yet so it must not be too corrosive. I've also used it in my 45 Colt and didn't have a problem with it. I took the fired brass and dropped them straight into a water bottle filled with soapy water.

colonelhogan44
05-25-2013, 12:32 AM
It is very close to non-corrosive, but you will lose a lot of power compared to real black.

Real black is easy to clean anyway.

Nobade
05-25-2013, 09:10 AM
The only reason I see to use it is it will work with machine made cast boolits and the hard lube they come with. Otherwise it's expensive and low powered compared to real gunpowder.

-Nobade

Sergeant Earthworm
05-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks for all the input. I guess some science is in order here so I'll have to buy some and chronograph BP vs. American Pioneer and perhaps a corrosion test as well.

colonelhogan44
05-26-2013, 05:36 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the difference over a chronograph. In my 36 cap and ball, the balls were bouncing off a empty little green propane canister. With real black it had no problem punching through it and exiting or leaving a big dent on the far side.

It seemed to work well in my 50 caliber Hawken rifle...and then I used real black and the recoil was nearly twice than what was felt with AP.

Whiterabbit
05-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I have the same experience as everyone else. no corrosion, easy to clean w/ water only. Shoots well. Is expensive.

In addition, my APP 3F looks like goex 2F so the grains are HUGE. I only use it in my handi-rifle inline. 120 grains for 2000 fps on a 300 grain sabot bullet. I have to wipe EVERY time to get any accuracy, but when I do that the accuracy is pretty great. I don't know how much a part of the equation the powder is there. But I won't bother trying any other substitute. I have the accuracy here.

I was thinking about trying a lube cookie over the powder to see if that would cut down on the need to swab.

Honestly, I don't blame the powder, I use a ridiculously over-tight sabot.