PDA

View Full Version : Rainy day casting

selmerfan
05-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Well, we finally have a few days of rainy weather headed our way. I've read over and over here how casting on a rainy day just seems to go better. I cast 10 lbs worth of 316299s this morning and 6 total rejects and they just hopped out of the mold. Everything seemed to flow better this morning. I'm firing up for an evening session as well!

FN in MT
05-20-2013, 04:38 PM
As I'm generally a winter time caster...SNOW is THE time for me.

runfiverun
05-20-2013, 10:21 PM
we have had rain the last week.
I got 2 flat rate boxes of boolits done.
just today I got 15 pounds of 00 buckshot cast, sorted, graphited, and bagged.
pretty good for a brand new mold, considering I had to find handles that fit and adjust and lube everything before starting.

DrCaveman
05-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Run, what are you doing with all that buckshot? Turkey blasting?

No really if you are sharing i am not that far away and am interested.

runfiverun
05-21-2013, 03:35 AM
probably let littlegirl shoot pumpkins and whatever.
I also like to sneak up on rock chucks and ground squirrels and use the shotgun on them.
with any luck i'll have a load tuned for littlegirls shotgun by fall, and she can use it to shoot a deer with.

sadly the few turkeys I have ever shot have been with a rifle, and one I just hit with a stick as it wouldn't leave me alone.

ultramag
05-21-2013, 05:12 AM
This has been a good weekend for casting. I've cast about 1500 each of the Lee TL .452-230-2R's, Lee TL .452-230-TC's, and Lee TL .430-240-SWC's. I need to get about 1500 of the Lee .430-200-RF's done before it gets too hot and hopefully that will last me until cooler weather comes around again for the most part.

6bg6ga
05-21-2013, 06:48 AM
I did three 3lb coffee cans of 230 RN, 200swc, 185 swc. One 1lb coffee can of 95gr rn 380, 1 can of 160gr rn in 357. One can of 158swc in 357. one can of 125gr rn 38 in part of a day. Rain or not made no difference in bullet quality.

41 mag fan
05-21-2013, 08:30 AM
probably let littlegirl shoot pumpkins and whatever.
I also like to sneak up on rock chucks and ground squirrels and use the shotgun on them.
with any luck i'll have a load tuned for littlegirls shotgun by fall, and she can use it to shoot a deer with.

sadly the few turkeys I have ever shot have been with a rifle, and one I just hit with a stick as it wouldn't leave me alone.

D*mn butterball turkeys!! They're supposed to be dead when you pick them up from the freezer section of the grocers isle!!

runfiverun
05-21-2013, 03:14 PM
down where my mom is from they raise the turkeys for thanksgiving.
the whole valley has turkey farms everywhere.
you can smell the processing plant, plus tell who works there instantly.

the turkey I hit with a stick was pecking at the tie strings on my coat, I guess he thought they were worms or something.
I was sitting under a cedar tree and had dozed off, his poking woke me up.
I had a turkey tag but was deer hunting at the time.
I stood up to make them go away, but he just kept pecking at the coat strings, so I just picked up a stick and whacked him in the head.
the two hens with him followed me about 1/4 mile back towards the truck.
probably quite the sight if anyone had been watching me.
I'm carrying a turkey over my shoulder, with a scoped deer rifle in my other hand and two turkeys following along behind.

mdevlin53
05-29-2013, 03:08 PM
This morning it was lightly raining and I had casting in mind. I took one of the porch umbrellas and set it up over the bench I use fro casting and got to it. Everything went well this morning. I applied a few lessons I learned here and every mold dropped good boolits. Started by washing each mold in dawn and hot water and after they were dry a shot of rubbing alcohol just to be sure. Heated the molds on a hotplate and gotthem up to temp. after the lead was liquid I turned the pot down to 5 and started casting. I cast 311-365s from my new NOE mold, 6.5 140s from my RCBS mold (after setting the pins there was no fins this time) the only frosty bullets came from the Lee .430-310gr( its the new style and has a little less metal in it so it heats up real fast but gets too hot real fast too.) The .439 for my 43 Spanish even dropped them well(it never does that)
Don't know if it was the rain or putting together all the great lessons available here on this great site.
Thanks to you all
Michael