PDA

View Full Version : Pouring a chamber cast............

Smokepole50
05-20-2013, 11:19 AM
What do you use as a funnel of sorts? I tried using an aluminum foil funnel, it leaked I think, or I over filled the chamber not really knowing how much I needed. It was a real mess in a 1912 Chilean Mauser. Thanks be to God I was able to Dremil tool out the part that went into to locking lugs without any damage to my collectible rifle. SO I am at the stage where I still want to use Cerrosafe but I don't want another accident like the last one. Aluminum foil funnels are a no go for me from now on. I see Midway USA just shows using a ladle to pour in the alloy in a 43 Mauser, I am not sure I want to go that way either. Another poster on You-tube shows using a piece of what looks like Tygon tubing and a funnel to feed the chamber area, this seam like it would melt. As I set here, I just thought, I have access to Teflon tubing and it is temp. stable to 200C. Maybe that would be the ticket. What do you use......?

montana_charlie
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
The Cerrosafe melts at about the same temperature as boiling water.
You can use a plastic funnel, and it won't melt. Heck, you could use a funnel made of paper and it would hold up long enough to fill a chamber.

If you get a Cerrosafe casting locked up in your rifle, just turn it upside down and heat the steel gently with a heat gun or propane torch. It will melt right out.
If nothing else, stick the stripped action in a pan of boiling water for a minute, or so.

CM

375RUGER
05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
piece of 3/8" copper pipe flared on the one end. melt it in and pour it with a lyman ladle.

Smokepole50
05-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys. I new the melt temp. was low but I did not think a plastic funnel would hold up to it.