PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Wasilla to Ketchikan

BRobertson
05-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Well, I hit the road tomorrow morning.

I will be driving through Canada, to Prince Rupert, catching an Alaska State Ferry to Ketchikan.
In the 44 years I have lived in Alaska, I have moved all over this great State, and I have enjoyed all the
towns and villages I have lived in!!

My wife and I have looked forward to what is planned to be our final move in our lives!!
We both love the coast, we love the rain and everything about the Southeast Alaska weather!!

I am traveling with our 130 lb male Rottweiler. He is a Grand Champion show dog, but he thinks he is
kid!! We tell folks that we don't let our Rottweilers watch the Rottweiler movies, so they don't know
that they are dangerous attack dogs!! You should see him with our youngest granddaughter, very gentle!!
Our female Rott got to travel via Alaska Airlines to Ketchikan a couple of months ago, to give my wife
some companionship. She was nose to nose with a black bear , through the glass door on the deck!!

Bob Baker, from Freedom Arms, and a couple of other handgun hunter friends, will be coming in Sept
to go black bear and deer hunting with me. I am looking forward to that!!

Oh, and I would not have been able to get through all the terrible packing, loading the moving container,
etc, without the help of a handful of wonderful friends that pitched in!!

Bob

Bullshop
05-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Why drive all the way to PR? You can catch the ferry at Hains or Scagway.

Dennis Eugene
05-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Well I will be looking forward to meeting you sometime when your over this way. Dennis

BRobertson
05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't want to subject the dog to being locked in the truck for so long on the Ferry. They only let you down to the vehicle deck
twice a day to let them out!!
The ferry ride from Rupert to Ketchikan is only 6 hours

yes, he is spoiled!! Bob

BRobertson
05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Well I will be looking forward to meeting you sometime when your over this way. Dennis

Same here Dennis!!

I am looking forward to getting back to Southeast!! I have many enjoyable years in Yakutat!!

Bob

10x
05-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Here I sit some 400 miles due East of Ketchikan. It is a 17 hour drive to P. Rupert from here and 2.5 hours to Mile Zero of the Alcan Highway.
Did that drive three times last summer, going to do it again in July. This time not pulling a 16" cargo trailer...

I have fond memories of Ketchikan. And I like Orchard, Heckman, and Reflection lakes...

BRobertson
05-22-2013, 02:38 AM
I got out of the Valley late today, too many things to do on the last day!!

I made it as far as Tok, the drive was great, it seems that it is finally spring, wa s about 50 degrees all day!! Perfect

The nice thing about traveling with a dog, is that it makes me stop fairly often and I get to stretch my legs.\

Bob

41 mag fan
05-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Good luck on your move Bob

starmac
05-23-2013, 01:47 PM
You probably even had something to eat at Fast Freddys too huh. lol Have a safe trip and watch the frost heaves the other side of beaver creek. down to destruction bay.

BRobertson
05-23-2013, 11:45 PM
You probably even had something to eat at Fast Freddys too huh. lol Have a safe trip and watch the frost heaves the other side of beaver creek. down to destruction bay.

Yes, I ate dinner and breakfast at Fast Freddy's!! Great food!! I stayed in their motel, as it is pet friendly!!

Today we made it as far as Dease Lake on the Cassiar. The Cassiar is really in bad shape, with large holes, frost heaves,

and lots of gravel. 30 mph in sections. That is ok though, as we get to see more!!

We spotted moose, caribou and black bear today, and lots of Alaskan Snowbirds heading north!!

Bob

BRobertson
05-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Good luck on your move Bob

Thank you!!

I have needed all the luck and help from friends in order to get everything moved!!

The last thing I loaded was my casting alloy!!!

Bob

starmac
05-23-2013, 11:57 PM
LOL I have driven the cassier twice with only seeing two other vehicles and once just three, there are times when it is pretty much your own highway. lol

BRobertson
05-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Saw lots of black bear and caribou on the southern section of the Cassiar, the road improved after Dease Lake.

Made it into Prince Rupert on Fri afternoon.

Got on the Alaska Ferry early Sat morn, and home to Ketchikan at 1400 Sat afternoon.

Went to sleep Sat night on an airbed, not much for comfort but will have to do until our furniture gets here with our container

on the barge in a week or so!!

We have a great view out of most of our windows, of the water and surrounding islands, boats fishing for early king salmon

An eagle pair, (bald eagles) is nesting in a tree above our house and we hear them a lot.

I am SO glad to be back to Southeast Ak. !!!!

Bob

Ajax
05-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Man that sounds like heaven to me. Please post some pictures. Alaska is on my must visit before i die list.

Andy

BRobertson
05-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I will get my wife to help me, try to post some photos!!

I am not much on these computers!!

Bob