PDA

View Full Version : "Just about everything you need for reloading.................."

prs
05-20-2013, 09:30 AM
except for any of the basic stuff. Like powder and primers and and and..........

Is there an end to this **** about under supply of reloading components?

prs

338RemUltraMag
05-20-2013, 09:58 AM
You got it all wrong, there isnt an "under supply" there is an "over demand" component manufactures are adding workers and shifts trying to cover the mad rush but we are just out stripping the manufacturing capabilities.

tengaugetx
05-20-2013, 10:24 AM
There are two small "behind the house" places near here that seem to be getting a little bit of stuff. Primers seem to be the short item.

prs
05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Just yesterday evening as I was checking my email a new message appeared as I refreshed the page. The delivery time stated for the notice from Midway USA was within 5 minutes of then current time. I clicked on the provided link to order the single case of Remington small pistol primers allowed and that danged yellow "Sorry.............." flag came up. Rats! My request to be notified was an old one, they won't even do that for us now.

prs

9.3X62AL
05-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if the gun and ammo makers haven't become victims of their own marketing successes. Government threats to gun rights help spur demand, but the hobby field has grown significantly for the past decade--and I don't think the makers were paying much attention. Shelf stripping and ammo flipping has become a cottage industry lately, and I refuse to reward such stunts by paying scalper rates for components or ammo. That lot can FOAD.

ku4hx
05-23-2013, 12:17 PM
J. Rats! My request to be notified was an old one, they won't even do that for us now.

I've gotten several in the last week or so; all fairly recent. One was for a back order for Ruger KP90 plastic magazine followers. The was over a year old; I got the product arrival notification on the same day I got the order filled notice.

Shiloh
05-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Bought 1000 last Friday. They were out on Wednesday. 1000 per type, per day. $42 out the door.

Shiloh

Any Cal.
05-24-2013, 02:53 AM
I made a special trip to town to pick up some powder I didn't particularly want at a price I didn't love because I don't have that many choices. They said half of the shipment had disappeared in the couple hours since they had gotten it, and 7lbs walked out in the 15minutes I was there. One employee was trying to figure out how to start reloading but had no components.

You either had enough to start with or ration what you do have, not too many other options. It is nice not to have to worry about finding jwords as well though...

dakotashooter2
05-24-2013, 06:28 AM
I suspect that probably only 20-25% of NEW reloaders/casters will stick with it for very long. Many are looking at it as a last resort and as soon as ammo supplies return they will quit loading their own. Most of the younger generation would just as soon buy it as do it yourself even if it costs more. I suspect components will take a small increase but tools will be dirt cheap for a while.

Sensai
05-24-2013, 07:06 AM
I think you're right, and I'm looking forward to some "slightly used" equipment for cheap. I just hope that this trend or fad, or whatever it is, doesn't result in anyone getting hurt. Reloading isn't a highly dangerous endeavor, but the learning phase can be so if attempted without due caution. I'm trying to teach three folks to reload, that's the most that I've ever taught at one time. One of them is already losing interest, and it's the one who just had to have the Dillon and electronic powder dispenser to learn on.

btroj
05-24-2013, 07:10 AM
I am sure it will result in plenty of damaged or destroyed firearms. I mean, powders powder isn't it?
Huge influx of new reloaders means that at least a few are morons with no sense of discretion. Same thing with new gun owners. People with no knowledge, training, or sense of intelligence scare the heck putof me. Luckily they don't last long at my gun club. Tolerance for safety issues is pretty low.

Green Frog
05-24-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm wondering how much "slightly used" reloading equipment I can use! ;-) As for components, I'd be very wary of a partial can of powder from an unknown source, because I know of at least one "powder's powder" event where a mixed can of powder was passed on as an almost full can of powder, not telling the recipient of its true contents. :shock: I'm guessing there will be some sealed sleeves of primers, however, and I will be looking for them diligently. [smilie=2: Meanwhile, I guess I'll just husband the resources I have and hope the panic runs out before my supplies do! :coffeecom

Froggie

randyrat
05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
I noticed a few more handguns on the shelves lately and hit and miss with the Ammo...My opinion- I think it's gonna take another year before all the warehouses and retail shelves are full again with ammo.

Lots of hoarders and with this political situation I can't blame anyone for stocking their supplies for a dark future.
I can see estates sales and auctions in the future ..Example; for sale 20,000 rounds of XXXX... back ground check and fed ID with finger prints required to bid.

LC Press
05-24-2013, 07:52 AM
I am happy about the influx. Sure it is an inconvenience for now but that is more people "on our side".

mdi
05-24-2013, 12:36 PM
You got it all wrong, there isnt an "under supply" there is an "over demand" component manufactures are adding workers and shifts trying to cover the mad rush but we are just out stripping the manufacturing capabilities.

I agree with 338. Normally a reloader would purchase a pound of powder (or occasionally an 8 pounder) or two and a thousand primers. Now I've seen/heard of guys buying 10,000 primers and kegs of powder just because it's on the shelf and they fear future availability. Supply is still there, demand just went through the roof!

Beau Cassidy
05-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Lets face it- we live in a society of convenience. A lot of people over the last few months bought reloading stuff thinking they would just magically turn out perfect ammo with little or no physical input. Once they realize it is actually going to take some work on their part to turn out good ammo they will give up and go back to just buying their ammo.

Marlin Junky
05-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Panic buying... ah, it's what makes the world go 'round. :bigsmyl2:

I guess I learned my lesson during the Clinton Administration. When things settled down, during the Bush Administration, I purchased a ****-load of Federal 210's, gaschecks and several jugs of powder at very reasonable prices. I'd almost bet the cycle will repeat. I know, it's even worse this time; however, on the plus side (assuming the free-enterprise system doesn't go completely belly up under O'bummer and company i.e., GLOBAL ECONOMIC DEPRESSION) there will probably be an equal and opposite reaction in a couple years.

MJ

9.3X62AL
05-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Boycott flippers!!

quail1
05-26-2013, 02:30 AM
My LGS has a good selection of primers at real prices $34/1000 but powder is skimpy and brass too. We are seeing many flippers continuing to list at high prices. Even $50/1000 primers even rt hough they are available at the stores.
Now .22's are another issue.

waco
05-26-2013, 05:30 AM
Like I did five years ago. Start stocking up on .22LR, powder and primers when it's available. This kind of thing WILL happen again. I'm set for years. Don't get caught with your pants down. $20-40 a week goes a long way in the "long run "

Oreo
05-26-2013, 05:51 AM
That is the way of it though isn't it? You have to have several years worth of ammo or components stashed. If you don't you are likely to find yourself without supplies and without a way to resupply. All those who've been at this know this and we have our stash. New folks are just figuring it out and having to start behind the eight-ball but they too quickly figure out that a thousand primers and a pound of powder in this market is like being stranded in the deasert with a gallon of water. More would be better and much more would be much better.

Furthermore, unlike a deasert which drives people away, the current market is in a positive feedback loop where the worse it gets the more people are motivated to jump in and buy all they can.

Marlin Junky
05-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Boycott flippers!!

Nah, not in my case. Over the years, friends and I have used the barter system; however, I recall selling a 1000 primers to a friend at the same price I paid. A couple years ago, same friend sold me a pound of Re7 at the price he paid at a gunshow (20 bucks). Call it disaster preparedness. :bigsmyl2:

MJ

9.3X62AL
05-27-2013, 11:31 PM
MJ, I don't see your activities as "flipping". My definition of flippers is low-life scum-sucking bottom-feeding welfare recipients that stake out Wal-Mart sporting goods sections--strip the shelves of 22 LR ammo--then try to sell it for 3X-4X their investment price, and use the profits to buy illegal drugs and/or alcohol. It's almost a cottage industry in CA, and I'll be damned if I'll support it.

I could be an azzhat like that--I'm well-stocked with primers and rimfire ammo, but I'm not about to take those items and try selling them at a gun show for megabucks like a number of people do. That is AVARICE, plain and simple. I don't roll like that, it's totally effing WRONG. A retailer in the gun business is entitled to a reasonable profit margin, but the bandits and barracudas that are sustaining this shortage need their asses kicked. And the ammo & component makers need to get off their dying asses as well, and wake up to the new reality of an expanded and growing market.

Marlin Junky
05-28-2013, 03:46 AM
MJ, I don't see your activities as "flipping". My definition of flippers is low-life scum-sucking bottom-feeding welfare recipients that stake out Wal-Mart sporting goods sections--strip the shelves of 22 LR ammo--then try to sell it for 3X-4X their investment price, and use the profits to buy illegal drugs and/or alcohol. It's almost a cottage industry in CA, and I'll be damned if I'll support it.

Oh, you're referring to Wal-Mart managers. :lol:

...And the ammo & component makers need to get off their dying asses as well, and wake up to the new reality of an expanded and growing market.

Expanded and growing market, indeed.

MJ

9w1911
05-28-2013, 09:54 AM
I agree Waco