PDA

View Full Version : Wow....what a butt buster

BLTsandwedge
05-19-2013, 10:38 PM
If you've lived in the same house for 14 years and have been collecting reloading stuff for as long, I guarantee you don't know how much carp you've collected. For the last seven days I've been sorting and dividing stuff that a regular moving company won't take from what they will take. Thank the Lord the movers will take lead and brass.....but not fixed ammo, powder or primers. I literally gave away many hundreds of dollars in ammunition and powder that I wasn't going to use in the immidiate future- mostly 9mm, .40, .41 and .30-06. But it made me happy.

You see, I married well. My wife is a commercial P&C underwriter for Nationwide. They wanted her in Philadelphia- so they bought (not brought) her there. That's OK....I can be a 'kept man' for a while....especially at the age of 49. Philly can wait for another director of sales & marketing in their hotel industry. Meantime, starting Monday this, I'm driving my 150+ pounds of primers and powder to Philadelphia (not Philly proper but the countryside north by about 30 minutes) plus 200 pounds of dogs.

Anyway, I'm seriously bummed about leaving the Central Coast- Mal Paso and the others at the Laguna Seca Range in Central California. Despite the new laws coming down in CA, these folks are our brothers- and let's not forget our Northern and Southern brothers- 9x9.3 AL (or whatever, sorry Al....aka Deputy Al) and 30-06 Man in the northern part of the state.....and my apologies to the countless folks here whom I've missed, who have become dear friends.

Mal Paso- you've been my best friend. What can I say. I watched as you single-handedly turned your girl into a woman and who will now give you your first grandchild. You will have Linda's and my eternal gratitude for your great friendship. The only thing that annoys me is that along the way, you became a better revolver shooter than me.

To everyone, this is who we are. We are family....ergo by proxy in most cases. That cannot-we cannot allow- physical distancce to be an issue in our being close to one-another. There's a Hebrew prayer for Shabbat- "Baruch attah Adonai eloheinu malach aloam, porei berei hagafen." My sincerest apologies for the English translation- but it means "Blessed are you Adonai, our (one) G_d, for bringing from the earth the fruit of the vine." Literally this is a blessing for the wine on the Shabbat table. It goes SO much further- because it recognizes the frienships we build through our daily living.

So, L'CHAYIM!!!!!! TO LIFE!!! We keep old friends and we meet and make new. Those who have written earlier, you'd better believe I'll be in touch.

Blessings on each of your homes- may they be filled with children and love.

Tom...the Hebrew.

Sgtonory
05-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Have a safe move. And good luck in Philly.

SciFiJim
05-19-2013, 10:48 PM
That's going to be one heck of a drive. Especially with dogs. Make sure to take time to enjoy the scenery along the way. You will get to see the Greatness of America in your drive.

Safe travels friend!

I am envious that you get to leave this funny farm of a state.

fatelk
05-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Safe travels! We moved a few months ago, and I gave away or sold a ton of stuff. We didn't move nearly as far and hadn't been where we were for quite so long, but it was quite an adventure. I think the hardest part is getting established in the new area. It takes many years to make the kind of friends we moved away from.

starmac
05-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Can you imagine when Bullshop was getting ready to move out of Alaska. It is kind of hard to drive through Canada with some stuff. lol

waksupi
05-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Travel safe. I am imagining dogs bouncing around in the vehicle, and Asleep at the Wheel blasting out Route 66 as you start the journey!

hithard
05-20-2013, 01:50 AM
I wish you and yours a safe journey, and many happy day's in your new found home.

Whiterabbit
05-20-2013, 02:03 AM
dang. That's the kind of speech that makes me wish we could have sat down for a beer together. I have family friends that live in Pebble Beach.

God Bless, and God bless your journey.

starmac
05-20-2013, 03:46 AM
Some dogs travel really nice, hopefully yours will. The airlines wouldn't guarantee to let my daughters dog fly in the largest kennel, because of it's size, so I hauled it from New Mexico to Alaska. I dreaded this, but it turned out to be totally enjoyable, we just let it out on a leash when we made our stops, didn't ever have to make an extra stop for it.

Blacksmith
05-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Have a safe and enjoyable journey, I've done AZ to east coast in a u-Haul. You will find much to do in the mid Atlantic and much better gun laws in PA than you are used to. I know people who moved from MD to PA just so they could get a concealed carry permit. PA is almost surrounded by gun unfriendly states, MD, NJ, NY. When you get settled post a "What to do in PA post?" and the locals will fill you with things to do and places to go.

Just had a thought if your travels take you near either Camp Perry, OH or Anniston, AL you might want to stop in either the CMP North store or South store respectively. Here is a link:
http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm
If you can qualify you could replace some of the .30-06 and any way it would be fun to visit. Show up with more guns and ammo than you started the trip with.

10-x
05-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Have a safe and fun trip, hopefully the "hounds" will enjoy. You going I-40 or I-10 or ?????... IIRC there is a RV book titled something like "The next Exit'....lots to see just off both. BTW there are some really good flea markets in PA. just W of Philly.

Mal Paso
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
BLT's last stop on the way out of town was the Range at Laguna Seca for a few hours of shooting. The range won't be the same without him but I'd be a poor friend not to wish him well. We did consider flattening all his tires but thought better of it. Just before he left I got the call from Phoenix, I'm a Grandfather! What a Day!

God's Speed BLT!

John Allen
05-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Tom, what town are you moving to in PA? I am in Collegeville

10x
05-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Travel safe. I am imagining dogs bouncing around in the vehicle, and Asleep at the Wheel blasting out Route 66 as you start the journey!

I would suggest the Grateful Dead and Truckin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pafY6sZt0FE

gbrown
05-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Don't feel too badly. I have 2 friends who found themselves in the same situation. It happens. From one I inherited about 800# of odds and ends reloading stuff. He had to drive his stash to a relative's house near where he was moving to. Another went to a long way off and had to leave his stash behind with relatives. He will either get it during visits or leave it until he returns in 5 or 6 years. It's all good. Be safe and make the best of the journey. My thoughts and prayers are with you in the move. Take care of the pets, may get on the nerves during the travels, but once acclimatized to the new digs, they will again be "man's best friend."

mnkyracer
05-21-2013, 12:41 AM
When you get here - PA has some of the best dirt tracks in the country. Pa is Philly and Pittsburg, with West Virginia in btween!

BLTsandwedge
05-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Made it a few days ago. First order of business was business- touching base with the (small) hotelier network I have in the city. Now for the real priorities....touching base with you folks that live here. First an ironic story.......

OK, so CA is about the worst state in the Union for gun laws (if you recall I couldn't 'import' a S&W 'K' frame #16- the .32 magnum target pistol- CA decided it was too dangerous for my own good. BUUUUT....Excess650- I still want yours!!!!! I'll be in touch ASAP!!!).

I stopped in Sacramento for the first night's layover- and my last night in CA as a resident. By pure coincidence I woke up at about 3am to see one perfect Alpha Hotel trying to steal my car (and contents- many pounds of powder and 30K in primers). Out came the S&W 19; confronted this fine citizen and asked him if there was anything in the car that was worth his head being blown off. He answered a polite 'no sir' and jumped into a late model Toyota (this guy was not homeless or hurting). I called 911- they stopped at the hotel desk but never contacted me even though I gave them a plate number. Nice. Sorry, it just validated our choice to leave the state- but yet I don't want it to be like that.

CA isn't a smitthole. Quite the opposite- we accomplished on the west coast what we wanted to- we made a few dollars in the 20 years we were on the Left; now it is time to move on. CA has personal liberties issues- always will because the urbanites more-or-less control the state. There are outstanding people on this board that call CA home- not to mention that the economy is excellent (7th in the world) and a great place to secure a career if you've got a modicum of talent. I'll miss CA. At the same time I'm freaking ROLLING inmy new-found freedoms.

Thanks guys- I mean it.

Tom

Mal Paso
05-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Glad you made it, I was getting worried!

I can stop Googling "Explosions on Hwy 80":kidding:

ph4570
05-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Pleased hear your journey was successful and mostly without incident.

Blacksmith
05-29-2013, 03:45 AM
Glad you arrived safe, give us a general idea of where you are settling down and we will start filling you in on local gun stores, ranges, places to visit and things to do.

chief45
05-29-2013, 01:28 PM
blt glad to see you made the move.as soon as i can get this house sold i will be beating pavement right behind you.....can't seem to justify living in a state that dosen't respect the people that work hard and try to do the right thing by living a just life

Sensai
05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Sounds like the West coast's loss is the East coast's gain. Welcome from Virginia!

BLTsandwedge
05-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Again, thank you gents- this is why this board will never die. Here we have a cross-section of the America we know. This is the country we have- we already have or are willing to serve/fight/die for America.....yep, even with ohbummer in place. This is a Christian country and long may that be. But you guys welcomed a Jew (uh..that'd be me...) and tolerated his posts since the old board. But wait a sec'.....aren't you all suppos'd to be a bunch of hateful hillbillies with guns???? That's what NPR says about you.....right? Are you tellin' me and the world that you're all going liberal????? Or could the fundamental truth be showing through....that neighbors are neighbors in America- no matter your background, color or where you go to church, as long as you support fundamental individual freedoms, you're OK. Could that be???? Really??? 'cause that's just not how the modern media portrays middle-America. Hmmm.......maybe that's why I've stayed right here.

G_d bless every single one of you people.

blackthorn
05-30-2013, 12:09 PM
BLT---Well said sir!! You have put into words the reason that I, as a non-American have such a great respect for this board, the USA and (most of) her people!

Blacksmith
05-30-2013, 04:21 PM
What! You're a Jew? Well so was Jesus Christ. :kidding:

tudor8055
05-30-2013, 04:41 PM
I am not a Jew but the JPFO is one of my haunts.

shooter93
05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Best of luck BLT. keep in mind though Philly is another planet within a great state. I've beeen trying to get them to annex it to Jersey for years....smiles. I think Philly is trying to beat out Chicago for the best corrupt rating.

nekshot
05-30-2013, 06:07 PM
welcome BLT, from a ex keystoner! You have alot of state game lands available, good ranges, great sprint car tracks and you are not to far from Blueball and a place called ShadyMaple with a smorgas board that will turn you into a glutton. For great hunting from your area head for Sullivan county.