PDA

View Full Version : The 22LR ammo craziness continues...

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-19-2013, 11:37 AM
I went to a Gun auction last thursday.
http://www.midwestauctions.com/lundeenauction/_private/index.html
While this listing includes:
"(20) New bricks of .22lr (Winchester, Federal & Remington)"
and
"(11) New bricks of .22 shorts
(1500) Rounds of CCI .22lr"

There was other bricks of 22LR there also,
about 6 bricks of Mohawk (I've never heard of them?). I'd guesstimate there was at least a total of 50 bricks of 22LR that sold that day.

Now, I've seen the expensive bricks at gunshows ($55 to $85), I figure those gunshow vendors sell a few here and there. But I figured at this small auction with about 100 people in attendance and so many bricks of OLD ammo...the prices wouldn't be that high.

Well, myself and the two fellows I was standing next to couldn't hold back the "I can't believe it Giggles" as they sold the bricks...a few went as cheap as $50...but most of them sold for $75 to $90. I don't need to say anymore about that.

BTW, there was also:
"(3) Rossi model 37 "gallery gun" .22 pumps (Winchester 62 replica) All are in box, two new old stock."

I bought the "used" model 37 in the original box for $325. Yeah that was plenty, but it had the nicest stock of the three, and it also looked like new, except for the dirty bore. The other two were consecutive serial numbers, and I believe they sold for around $400 each.

When will it end ?
Jon

starmac
05-19-2013, 11:53 AM
In 08 I was at an auction where a guy was moving out of Alaska. He probably had between 10 and 15,000 rounds, mostly reloads, all of which brought ungodly prices.
He had a few thousand rounds of cci 22 lr in the 100 round plastic boxes. the auctioneer would put 2 full ones and one partial together and these would bring 90 bucks, time after time. I got aquainted with the owner and he was loving it. I still kick myself for passing on a M99 that day. lol

Airman Basic
05-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341980998 bought some of that when I bought my Nylon 66. The ammo and gun were both new on the market.

Mk42gunner
05-19-2013, 09:43 PM
I had one of those Rossi pumps with a 16" barrel back in the late eighties. It was a lot of fun, even if my Colt Woodsman would group better on paper.

Robert

runfiverun
05-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Mohawk is a Remington 'off' brand of ammo, like American eagle is for federal.

birdadly
05-20-2013, 12:10 AM
I wish those prices would stop too. Shopping today with a buddy, I got to the ammo aisle first and what's in front of me... 2 lonely bricks of Remington 22s. I've about 1,500 rounds at home but have 2 22s and my friend 1... so I grab both. I stood there for a moment and an older fella (I put him at 65) walks over and says "ahh I'm a moment late aren't I). I thought for about 3 seconds and said "well one of these is for my friend looking at hunting clothes... but here, you take his". He was grateful, and my buddy had just showed up and agreed that he should take one.

Then off to lunch and the range... made for a perfect day. -Brad

starmac
05-20-2013, 03:54 AM
Swell move birdadly, you probably made the fellers day.

jcwit
05-20-2013, 03:59 AM
now that was a good thing to do. You have my thumbs up!