PDA

View Full Version : QUestion about milling

milsurpaddict
05-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Hey everyone

My question does not really fit any other place so I thought I would ask it here. Does anyone know if they make an affordable and relatively small milling machine. One that could be used at home in the basement and produce items withing hundredths and hopefully thousands of an inch accurate?

RayinNH
05-19-2013, 11:24 AM
There are quite a few small milling/drilling unit available. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=105-1108&PMPXNO=954034&PARTPG=INLMK32

You would be limited with such a small unit. If space is not a concern you might be better off searching the used tool market for a full size milling machine...Ray

oldred
05-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Yes there are LOTS of them out there, which one depends of course upon what you need to do with it.

Try here to start,

http://www.grizzly.com/search/search?q=milling%20machine&cachebuster=2954570015829203

But do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions before deciding which one, they all have their little quirks that that need to be addressed.

milsurpaddict
05-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks to all who provided answers so far. I wanted to attempt to mill my own primer pocket swager rods. I need to have them mill to the correct dimension and the correct depth.

ddaniel1
05-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Are you planning to sell these? There is a large investment beyond the machine in all the required doodads, bits, collets, dial indicators, hold downs, center finders on and on. It can be a real money pit to set up an operation to machine parts. You would probably also end up wanting to go CNC so make sure your machine is ready for that modification.

milsurpaddict
05-19-2013, 11:49 AM
No I do not want to go commercial. I have a friend who owns a shop that customizes land rovers an d range rovers for off-road stuff and he has almost everything I would need aside from the mill

oldred
05-19-2013, 11:49 AM
You might check out the little "mini mill" that's so popular, I think some guys here have them and there are several forums dedicated to these things, they are cheap and will certainly do what you mention there and a great deal more. They are sold under different brand names at wildly varying prices but regardless of who is selling it they are all the same mill, the Seig X2, with Harbor Freight having the best deal at about $599 but often on sale for as little as $499.

Whatever mills you consider if they are of the popular Chinese import types and they look to be the same machine they usually are regardless of the brand so don't spend extra money for a "name brand" of the same mill you can get cheaper by shopping around. Enco, Grizzly, Harbor Freight or any of several other places all have the same machines at different prices.

milsurpaddict
05-19-2013, 12:00 PM
My friend just texted me and he told me that steel is usually turned on a lathe not a mill. Am I completely off base here.

ddaniel1
05-19-2013, 12:07 PM
These guys here do small projects and sell molds on here:
http://www.mailboxmachinist.com/

In my case I wanted a lathe also but didn't have room for both, I researched all the combo machines out there and settled on this one, it is more mill than lathe but has both capabilities:
http://shopmasterusa.com/
I have their older model, they are pricey but you can upgrade them over time to CNC etc. I figured to learn on this and move to seperate machines when I got more room, I am behind on both of those goals right now :)

jcwit
05-19-2013, 12:11 PM
For round objects a lathe would be more useful.

And like mills, there are many, many small benchtop models available.

midnight
05-19-2013, 12:15 PM
For what it's worth, I just got a Grizzly 1006. At close to 700lbs it is not small. I built a bench for it that is 4ft wide, 3˝ft deep, on 4x4 legs. The top is 2x10s with žin plywood over them. The mill with shipping was <$1500 but you will spend another thousand on collets, milling vise, collet closer, reamers, end mills, parallels, etc. Hopefully you already have measuring tools. I use mine as a lathe also with the 4in milling vise as the tool holder. It's a lot of fun making your own punches amd anything else that comes to mind. I'll make core swage & core seat dies. Then all I have to buy are point form dies. I'm not ready to try making them yet.

Bob

Dale in Louisiana
05-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I have a Grizzly mini-mill similar to this one. (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0463)

I have used it quite a bit for various parts for high voltage switchgear (non-critical, low tolerance stuff) and various odds and ends. A frstner bit and a block of wood and this thing will turn out some spectacular loading blocks.

I also have a Harbor Freight mini-lathe that does good work. I've played around in an industrial machine shop. This stuff ain't THAT quality, but with care you can turn out serviceable goods.

Be careful, though... You start playing with this stuff and you'll find yourself into a whole 'nother hobby.

dale in Louisiana

Blacksmith
05-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks to all who provided answers so far. I wanted to attempt to mill my own primer pocket swager rods. I need to have them mill to the correct dimension and the correct depth.

I am not trying to be smart here but you will do yourself a big favor if you learn which metal working machines do which operations best before you spend your money. Some suggestions would be to take a machining class at a community college or get some good books from the library and start reading. You might want to subscribe to "The Home Shop Machinist" magazine for good information (back issues available).
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/home?noredirect=true&noredirect=true
They also have a forum where you can ask questions.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum.php

Having spent a career as a Manufacturing Engineer I know it is important to get the best machines for what you intend to do and although many machines can do multiple jobs getting one that will do what you want with the least hassle will keep your frustration factor at a minimum. In addition, there is a lot of other information goes into the skill of machining, just like Boolit making, that needs to be learned to make good projects.

bangerjim
05-19-2013, 02:26 PM
I have several mills, from the little toy Sherline to a Bridgeport.

I also have and use A LOT the gear head -mini mill Harbor Frt sells. Have replaced the gears with belt drive from Littlemachimeshop.com and have never been happier! Quite and powerful.

That mill uses standard R8 tooling so my "big boy" tools all are usable. That is where you spend the money! $500 for a small mill and $1500 for tooling to get the jobs done. Plan ahead for a big mill and it's tooling.

I have used the little HF mill for over 6 years now with virtually no problems, other than the gears exploding midjob (Chinese plastic). With all the tooling being interchangable with any R8, you have a good choice of "stuff" to spend money on in the future!!!!:lol:

AVOID that little tiny one they sell........garbage!

The HF mill is exactly like the Grizzly, Enco, EMCO, etc......and all the other ones. They are all sourced in China and are basically just painted different colors. Watch to see if the one you buy has hardened ways....a very good advantage!

ddaniel1
05-19-2013, 02:38 PM
There is a little Unimat lathe for auction over in swappin and sellin, might be what you are looking for in order to do a small job, its around 300 right now.