PDA

View Full Version : The Colonel is coming home...

Dale53
09-15-2007, 01:14 AM
My son, the Colonel (U.S. Army Special Forces Medical Officer), is bringing his family from Ft. Bragg, NC to spend a couple of weeks with us. I am getting REALLY excited to see each and everyone of them (Shannon, his lovely wife, and our two grandchildren). Sometime during the stay (or maybe a couple of times[smilie=1:) we'll get to the range. Let's see, I believe I can come up with a good contest with a couple of handguns (an "American Defender for him and me with my 625-8 at a buck a shot - sound about right?:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:). Maybe I can get him to spot me ten points or so due to my age[smilie=1:. Shannon has put in his papers (20 years sevice) and has been asked to extend (he is eligible to retire in May of next year but agreed to stay until December).

Shannon is an accomplished shot with Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun (one of my fondest memories is when Shannon was 16 or 17 and his younger brother, Sean, was 14 or 15 we shot a Combat Rifle match at Marietta, Ohio. There were 50-60 entries of the likes of Ken Hackathorn and Rick Miller (two of the top ten IPSC guys in the world at the time). I won, Shannon was second, and Sean third (Overall). Talk about being so proud I thought I would "Bust my britches"!! The best was yet to come - the next time we went to Marietta, as we got out of the vehicle, I heard someone say up at the clubhouse, "Oh Sh*t, here comes the McGees..." Marietta was the first IPSC club in the state of Ohio. It was a most excellent bunch of shooters. Great people, tremendous skill levels and tough competitors. Almost without question, they would "do to ride the river with".

And then they were grown and gone.... You know, you raise your kids to be independant and self reliant and then... they are. One lives two hours from here with his lovely wife (not too bad a distance) the other son lives off post near Ft. Bragg (10 hours away plus duty difficulties) and the third (my daughter) lives in Salt Lake City with her great husband and our other two grand children(3½ days away:(). We don't see them near often enough but we sure treasure the time spent with them and their families. We are blessed!

Dale53

9.3X62AL
09-15-2007, 08:20 AM
You are justifiably proud of those youngsters.

Much like you, 3 of my 4 girls are scattered across the country, from Seattle to Houston--and the Seattle-ite will be headed to South Carolina with her husband before long while he does a year-long training cycle as part of his Army career. His civilian job is at Boeing.....nah, I'm not real proud, not me. Only one of mine is still residing locally, splitting time between her mom's and my own house. She is starting her senior year of high school........another one, the last one, soon to spread her wings and fly. Both of Marie's girls are grown and gone, too. Awfully quiet around here.

Jim
09-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey, Al! Is your son in law going to Ft. Jackson in Columbia? If so, tell him to look me up. I'll take him to our club's 25 acre facility as my guest and we'll do a little shooting!
PM me for more details or write me at MCRCRBMD@YAHOO.COM

Jim

NVcurmudgeon
09-15-2007, 09:20 PM
You are justifiably proud of those youngsters.

Much like you, 3 of my 4 girls are scattered across the country, from Seattle to Houston--and the Seattle-ite will be headed to South Carolina with her husband before long while he does a year-long training cycle as part of his Army career. His civilian job is at Boeing.....nah, I'm not real proud, not me. Only one of mine is still residing locally, splitting time between her mom's and my own house. She is starting her senior year of high school........another one, the last one, soon to spread her wings and fly. Both of Marie's girls are grown and gone, too. Awfully quiet around here.

That explains why it has been so quiet on the brake job front!