PDA

View Full Version : Told you I was crazy-Lee crimp die.

44man
09-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Dubber123 was kind enough to send me some boolits to test in my revolver. However the check shank is too small and after running a few into my die far enough to seat them, they still fell off. Brainstorm! :idea: I set the boolit on the right length piece of rod and ran it into my Lee crimp die. Darned if it didn't tighten them enough to work. I can turn them a little but they stay on.
If the die was worked on a little, I could really crimp the edge tight.

dubber123
09-15-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm glad something is working! We're alot of states away from each other, and getting the same measurements, both using the same brand of gas checks, mine go on tight, his fall off on there own. My box of checks is pretty old, and apparently just a little tighter. 44man basically just gave me a heads up that my next box of checks aren't likely to fit tight either. I guess I'll modify my mold before I forget and get caught short handed! Now the big question is whether they shoot as good for you as for me. Try your best, make me look good! Ha!

44man
09-15-2007, 12:26 AM
I will sure try, the boolits are very well made. :drinks:

utk
09-15-2007, 01:36 PM
On one forum (maybe this?), I've read that 30.cal gaschecks can be crimped on with a Lee 7mm Rem Mag Factory Crimp Die. Anybody tried it?

drinks
09-15-2007, 03:08 PM
I have not tried it, but looking at the dimensions, most any Lee 7mm collet type crimp die should work.

44man
09-15-2007, 04:25 PM
I only have the .45-70 die but I think a .44 die would be better if the boolit will go up in it. I don't know if a .45 Colt die would be smaller and work better but it sure does work. With care, the top of the check can be crimped.

utk
09-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to crimp from the top of the die? Hold the boolit by the tip and lower it into the die until the jaws are even with the gas check.

drinks
09-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Utk, that should work fine, I would tape a dowel in the die to keep the bullet going in the same amount.