PDA

View Full Version : Small Pistol Primers

Shiloh
05-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Paid $42 out the door for 1000 Federal SP primers. Limit of 1000 per type, Rifle and pistol, per day, per customer. He had 1000 Federal primers left, but a small supply of Remington. Good selection of powder, but missing Unique, WW231. One pound ONLY per person per day. The anesthetist who told me about it, said they had a good stock of Federal primers yesterday. They are almost gone till the next shipment.

He said they were doing this policy until stock became consistent. If you show up every day for several days, you are cut-off. The reason given is they want to spread supplies around. Works for me.

Shiloh

BBQJOE
05-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Supplies is a good thing. :-)

fredj338
05-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Well it's either that or raise prices, which it looks like they already have. Yes, times are tough, going to like that for quite awhile I am afraid.

Shiloh
05-17-2013, 08:57 PM
They are doing there best to spread supplies around. There are folks who would come in and buy all they had. The had CCI .22 Mini-Mags as well $10.99 per hundred. 1 box only per day. After a couple of days, you're cut off.

Shiloh

JeffinNZ
05-18-2013, 12:27 AM
A Guy a used to buy from put rationing in place last shortage. To buy primers you had buy the same number of jacketed bullet. Great for casters .... not.

Beagle333
05-18-2013, 12:41 AM
CCI spp $45/K out the door. Yep, they've gone up.

Shiloh
05-18-2013, 08:50 AM
CCI spp $45/K out the door. Yep, they've gone up.

Just Remington, Federal and MagTech. MagTech were several dollars more. Never used them. Winchester is my preferred brand. Probably more of a tradition than anything else. When I started loading, thats what my mentors used.

Shiloh

tengaugetx
05-18-2013, 09:06 AM
I bought 2,000 small pistol primers and a pound of Red Dot Monday. The primers were Remington and were $42 plus tax and the powder was $22 plus tax. He had 1,000 primers and a pretty good bit of powder left. He also had cases of ammo knee deep at the old or near old prices.
Small place in a guys barn out in the middle of nowhere in East Texas. It's unbelievable how much business he does.

41 mag fan
05-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Same with a LGS I have down the road from me. 200 primers limit per day and only 1 lb of powder of one type per day. You could buy 10 lbs of powder I'm thinking, but it had to be 10 different types. I went in for 3031 last week, and he told me 1lb limit. Told me to come back a week later on a tuesday, he should have more come in.
Told him I'm 35 mi away, and I must've looked pretty pathetic as he told me, don't tell noone, and he gave me 2 lbs!!

patsher
05-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Yes, they've gone up, but I think it's the dealers, not the factories. Our local guy has kept his prices the same, only raises as the factory raises him. I paid $30 for small pistol primers this week, and he apologized for the price increase. That's up from $28 2 years ago. Only 1 brick at a time, though.

Uncle Jimbo
05-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Bought 2000 cci 550 last week at 39.95 a box. I think this is the going price now days.
:-(, but oh well.

felix
05-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Nope, it's the factories. ... felix

jonp
05-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't know. I was at the Dixie Gun Show in Raleigh last week and paid regular prices for everything. $28/1,000 for Tula LP. The Win and CCI Lp were about $34 and the Alliant 2400 was $21/lb. I think it's the dealers trying to get the money back they spent buying the stuff during the scare. Some of the same 2400 was $28lb at a different booth

felix
05-18-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry, I usually talk wholesale rather than retail. Costs to distributors will be around 30 percent increase, if the manufacturers get their way. One big box store said they won't buy products from one of the big name factories this year unless the costs came down to within reason. ... felix

blikseme300
05-18-2013, 10:09 PM
There have been times I have cussed living here in the deep south of Texas but I have been very lucky in having steady access to powder and primers. Yep, prices have gone up but components are available. I do keep my reserves sufficient though, just in case...

MTtimberline
05-18-2013, 11:37 PM
I was looking for small pistol primers today, but all that the store which I was in had was Remington small rifle and a whole shelf full of Winchester Large pistol standard/Magnum. I did grab a Winchester WLP brick of 1K for $39.99 to keep the reserve up. It's not the best price, but one cannot be sure when you'll see any the next time you stop in. I have seen nothing for powder locally so far but I haven't been looking too hard because I still have some in reserve.

Mk42gunner
05-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Just Remington, Federal and MagTech. MagTech were several dollars more. Never used them. Winchester is my preferred brand. Probably more of a tradition than anything else. When I started loading, thats what my mentors used.

Shiloh

My preferred brand of primers in also Winchester.

Funny how we get started on traditions; when I was a kid (pre Navy days) buying primers 100 at a time, brand didn't really matter to me. Whatever the local guy stocked was what I used.

Once I got started loading for handguns in bulk, in San Diego, buying in quantity became more important. There was a dealer that attended most of the gunshows that always had Winchester primers, usually cheaper than the other brands, so that is what I started using.

Robert

sparkz
05-19-2013, 08:39 AM
That's idea good to keep a spread of supplies, much better then gougeing $75.00 per 1000,
I would rather come back a handfull of times and pay "Fair" then pay crazy prices and those are higher but I really think it the new Norm,,
Days of the $35.00 brick died back in the old days, ( last year )
Sorta puts me in mind of Gas lines...
we bitched about the amount we could get and prices paid,,
and now we all wish for that price per gallon..

Its the new norm...

Patrick

soldierbilly1
05-19-2013, 11:08 AM
its pretty sad. Some guys are going to Cabela's and buying 20K's worth of primers, then selling on the net or to their buds on the net. They call them 'club buys.'
Right. Most shops, including Cabela's, started the 3 box limit per trip. 'bout freakin time.
I get the ammo shorts, but why handguns? About one week ago, Cabela's in Hamburg was wiped out. At $500- $2K apiece, I find this hard to fathom.
I am having a problem processing this, but with Obummer in charge, we have the most corrupt govt in my 65 year memory. He prolly had the DHS buy up all the ammo to curtail the gun sales!

hanover67
05-19-2013, 06:29 PM
I bought Winchester primers and some powder from Powder Valley on a group buy with three other guys about 6 months ago. The primers were $26/1000, powder in the $17-$18 range. Unfortunately I didn't re-supply small pistol primers at the time, so I'm almost out. I don't remember the last panic, but did prices go up and then back down then?

Shiloh
05-19-2013, 08:11 PM
My preferred brand of primers in also Winchester.

Funny how we get started on traditions; when I was a kid (pre Navy days) buying primers 100 at a time, brand didn't really matter to me. Whatever the local guy stocked was what I used.

Once I got started loading for handguns in bulk, in San Diego, buying in quantity became more important. There was a dealer that attended most of the gunshows that always had Winchester primers, usually cheaper than the other brands, so that is what I started using.

Robert

I vaguely remember paying 79¢ or 89¢ for a hundred pack of Winchester primers.

Shiloh

felix
05-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes, the prices dropped somewhat after 1995. After 4 months or more of stabilization, then that is the time to purchase large lots from large dealers. Reason: the computer programs which are used for replenishment will then have consistent demands placed upon the manufacturers. My advice is to purchase 10 years ahead of what WILL be needed over that time period. Be honest by computing the amount which takes into account your age and your possible future interests as you progress. ... felix

Pilgrim
05-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Stopped Sun. at the Federal Way, WA Sportsmans Warehouse to look for some reloading tools. Talked to the manager of the gun dept. about reloading supplies. He told me that they get primers every Tue. They open at 10 AM and are sold out by 11 AM. The lines start forming at 7:30 AM! They do not gouge. Their prices run from $25 to $30 per 1k. I also saw a few AR's on the rack so wandered over to check on prices. They were in the $1100 range, and being somewhat stunned I asked if they ever stocked AR-10's. Yep...sold two .308's in the past week. One was a DPMS and was also in the $1100 range if he remembered correctly. Don't know what configuration it was. I like to support stores that support us. I'll be back there when supplies normalize again. Gougers need not apply, at least to me.

Jim..47
05-20-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm sorry, I usually talk wholesale rather than retail. Costs to distributors will be around 30 percent increase, if the manufacturers get their way. One big box store said they won't buy products from one of the big name factories this year unless the costs came down to within reason. ... felix

Let me guess who, Federal?

jimb16
05-20-2013, 10:20 PM
This morning I got 500 wspp for $20. I also picked up a 4#keg of RD for $60. The places that I checked had a lot of different powders; reloaders (several different ones) PB, 4759, GD, RD, International, 410, 700X, and a large number that I've never used......In 1#, 4# and 8# cans. None of them seemed to be overpriced. But I still can't find Unique.

felix
05-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Well, Jim47, you guessed correctly. ... felix

Boyscout
05-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I use CCI and Winchester interchangably. My handgun loads are moderate and the difference between the two has not had any affect. I prefer the CCI; the silver primers look better against my shiny brass.

Cadillo
05-22-2013, 01:05 AM
There have been times I have cussed living here in the deep south of Texas but I have been very lucky in having steady access to powder and primers. Yep, prices have gone up but components are available. I do keep my reserves sufficient though, just in case...

OK,

I too live in the RGV, Hidalgo County to be exact,and everyone I know, except for me is crying because they can't find pistol primers. Please advise where you are able to find them and I'll let all these guys know, 'cause these guys are afraid to shoot up the little bit they have, and are singing the blues.

Where, Pray Tell?

newmexicocrawler
05-22-2013, 01:38 AM
I am lucky....a local guy, ffl runs out of his house has all primers in stock for 140.00 per 5000 case all winchester