PDA

View Full Version : Mildewed boolits

PodPeople
05-17-2013, 09:40 AM
I received a shipment of boolits from a major supplier. Water got into one of the boxes and the boolits in it are covered by white powdery mildew. I haven't complained about it to the supplier because they accidentaly sent me a double shipment. Is it safe to go ahead and load up these boolits? Will it harm my dies or the barrel of my gun? Or should I just melt them down for recasting?

338RemUltraMag
05-17-2013, 10:07 AM
A picture will help but metal doesnt mildew, that is a process reserved for organic critters and porous surfaces. What you are seeing is most likely an oxidation layer that formed. Try wiping a boolit with an old rag or paper towel, most of is should come right off.

Without a pc it is hard to say if I would shoot them, but if most of the **** comes off then sure use them up.

dilly
05-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Does bullet lube mildew?

PodPeople
05-17-2013, 10:18 AM
A picture will help but metal doesnt mildew, that is a process reserved for organic critters and porous surfaces. What you are seeing is most likely an oxidation layer that formed. Try wiping a boolit with an old rag or paper towel, most of is should come right off.

Without a pc it is hard to say if I would shoot them, but if most of the **** comes off then sure use them up.

I'm away from home for a week so I can't provide pictures. The white coating does not wipe off with a rag or paper towel, but much of it can be removed with a wire brush.

338RemUltraMag
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Does bullet lube mildew?

Normally no, as lube is mostly oil based, the rare exception being BPCR lube made from beeswax and lard.

Podpeople, how thick is a coating? I would have to say I would try about 5 or so, but it definately sounds like oxidation since it wont come off easily.

44man
05-17-2013, 10:28 AM
That is lead oxidation. It is harder then the base lead. Softer lead has more problems with this.
I don't think it will hurt to shoot them, might help smooth the bore.
I store round balls after I spray them with Barricade.

dverna
05-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes, lead oxide.

I see on old shot stored in a garage sometimes. It is very unsafe to breath the dust in.

Don Verna

PodPeople
05-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Normally no, as lube is mostly oil based, the rare exception being BPCR lube made from beeswax and lard.

Podpeople, how thick is a coating? I would have to say I would try about 5 or so, but it definately sounds like oxidation since it wont come off easily.

The coat varies. The boolits that were close to the edges of the box are heavily covered with the white substance whereas those that were in the middle of the box have lesser amounts. The plastic bag which enclosed the boxes of boolits had a tear in it and the inside of the bag was coated with a sticky substance that smelled like mildew. The outer box was damp and had a hole in the corner.

runfiverun
05-17-2013, 01:28 PM
the white is lead oxide.
you don't wanna be shooting those.

mildew would just wipe off.
i'd send them back, melt them down, whatever.
but I wouldn't wanna shoot them.

H.Callahan
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
...melt them down...
Probably the best suggestion...

Shiloh
05-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Does bullet lube mildew?

No. It may deteriorate, but thats it.

Shiloh

hickfu
05-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I have a box of 357 mag bullets like that... they are pretty old bullets so I figured they oxidized. I figure I would pull the boolit and remelt and then cast some to put back in.

Doc

FUBAR 6
05-18-2013, 12:23 PM
CLR will remove the heavy stuff on lead, Lemond juice or Lemi Shine will work on copper and if not too heavy coated it will work ok on lead....

PS Paul
05-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Hmmmm. If I were to shoot them, I would definitely "hold my breath" immediately after each shot when shooting OUTSIDE only. Kinda like that guy in the "Chocolate rain" video where he turns away from the microphone to take a breath.:kidding:

Nahh. I would melt'em down and start over, to be on the safe side, eh?

303Guy
05-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Is lead oxide so abrasive that is will damage a bore? And would a lubed boolit with oxide actually release the oxide as dust out the muzzle?

Defcon-One
05-18-2013, 05:37 PM
I'd say NO and Yes, but all bullets do that! But why risk it. They were free, so just melt them down and be done with it.

My guess is the Mildew could be more lethal than the Lead Oxide, I wouldn't want to mess with either! Melt them down and use the lead, or send them back!

1616s16
05-18-2013, 06:41 PM
just send them to me i will help you get them use up thank you

303Guy
05-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Wash them in vinegar or citric acid or something to dissolve the oxide.

Love Life
05-19-2013, 12:40 AM
I would call the supplier to get replacements, AND for a return shipping label to mail back the product you got for 'free' along with the product you paid for. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Keeping the free bullets is stealing since you did not pay for them, you know you did not pay for them, and the supplier did not intend for you to have them unless you paid for them.

GLL
05-19-2013, 12:45 AM
The white crystals may actually be lead carbonate formed when the bullets set in ion-rich "hard"water.

Jerry

PodPeople
05-19-2013, 06:04 PM
I would call the supplier to get replacements, AND for a return shipping label to mail back the product you got for 'free' along with the product you paid for. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Keeping the free bullets is stealing since you did not pay for them, you know you did not pay for them, and the supplier did not intend for you to have them unless you paid for them.

I'll call the company tomorrow and explain the situation to them and see what they suggest I do.

PodPeople
05-20-2013, 10:28 PM
I'll call the company tomorrow and explain the situation to them and see what they suggest I do.

I called and the supplier is sending me a prepaid shipping label. I will be returning the over shipment including the oxidized boolits.