PDA

View Full Version : Past Tense of Cast

alamogunr
05-17-2013, 08:07 AM
I know that I will get pounded for even bringing this up. I have always believed that the past tense of cast is cast. Not casted. I don't think that there is such a word.

I'm hoping there are a few English teachers, active or retired, on this board that can straighten me out if I am wrong.

If posters would realize this it would save 2 keystrokes every time the need for past tense arises.

HangFireW8
05-17-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm of the same opinion.

HF

Ben
05-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Postes, bird nestes, and casted.

None exist.

Yes, as mentioned............................ Unfortunately, lots of folks didn't excel in English when in school.

ultramag
05-17-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm fluent in hillbilly and redneck. If you don't find your English teacher just let me know.

ASM826
05-17-2013, 08:19 AM
A similar word is "read". As in, "I am going to read that reloading manual tonight." "Here, read this reloading manual right now." and "I read that reloading manual last night."
While there is a pronunciation difference, when you write the word it is spelled the same. Past tense of "read" is not "readed".

sirgknight
05-17-2013, 08:24 AM
I see where you are going with this.....and something was did about it too!

Mal Paso
05-17-2013, 09:10 AM
The die is cast!

swheeler
05-17-2013, 09:13 AM
I know that I will get pounded for even bringing this up. I have always believed that the past tense of cast is cast. Not casted. I don't think that there is such a word.

I'm hoping there are a few English teachers, active or retired, on this board that can straighten me out if I am wrong.

If posters would realize this it would save 2 keystrokes every time the need for past tense arises.

I agree no such thing as casted(cast), another one that gets me irregardless(regardless)

dakotashooter2
05-17-2013, 09:14 AM
You mean it's not CASTEDED?..................

RydForLyf
05-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Here's another few while we're at it.

Your is not a substitute for you're as in "Your going to get it when your father gets home."

How about "I had went"? I often hear this from people who tout their advanced degrees. I guess they skipped over elementary school English on their way to their Ivy League education.

...... and the worst yet. "I could care less." Of course this is normally a true statement for most instances. I could care less or I could care more because my level of caring is somewhere in the middle. But when there is an extreme lack of caring, how about not being so damn lazy and actually saying what you mean, "I couldn't care less."

OK, stepping away from the podium now. Have a great weekend.

-RFL

Bzcraig
05-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Here ya go.....

The verb cast is conventionally uninflected in the past tense and as a past participle. Casted is an old form—examples are easily found in texts from every century from the 14th to the present—but it has given way to cast in modern English. In current usage, however, casted is gaining ground, especially where cast means either (1) to assemble actors for a performance, or (2) to throw out bait and/or a lure on a fishing line. (Both these senses have extended metaphorical uses where casted is likewise used at least some of the time). Many people object to casted, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is catching on and not likely to go away soon.

Baja_Traveler
05-17-2013, 09:58 AM
And another that irks me - as I see it so often, when someone posts something "for sell"...

alamogunr
05-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Here ya go.....

The verb cast is conventionally uninflected in the past tense and as a past participle. Casted is an old form—examples are easily found in texts from every century from the 14th to the present—but it has given way to cast in modern English. In current usage, however, casted is gaining ground, especially where cast means either (1) to assemble actors for a performance, or (2) to throw out bait and/or a lure on a fishing line. (Both these senses have extended metaphorical uses where casted is likewise used at least some of the time). Many people object to casted, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is catching on and not likely to go away soon.

Have I been corrected???

wallenba
05-17-2013, 10:51 AM
I will cast. I would cast. I have cast. I had cast. Had to say it, to see if it sounded right.

Possibly, 'casted', has a use in describing the act of stratifying by social levels, like they do in India, but still...does not sound right. I use my ear to discern. If I don't hear it regularly, I assume there's something wrong.

But in this venue, with the diverse regional influences to our language, I don't think too much about it. As long as I understand what the poster is trying to convey to me, it's all good.

What does irk me, is when an educated person, possibly a politician or journalist. Those that should know better, say; I want to axe you a question. Or says 'fustrated' instead of frustrated. There are more, but you get the idea.

sundog
05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
No such thang as 'boolit' neither...

mdi
05-17-2013, 11:16 AM
OK, now yer treadin' on thin ice. The official definition of boolits is right here on Castboolits.com, first page; Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena, The Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption. . . Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

Now enuf of the English lessens, huh?

Cap'n Morgan
05-17-2013, 11:59 AM
"The die has been cast"

Actually, I believe the past tense of cast is "cost" ;-)

ku4hx
05-17-2013, 12:48 PM
As a former teacher (Chemistry, Physics and Biology) who sometimes was called upon to teach "Out of field" (History, English and Math). The past tense of cast is cast.

"I cast 1,000 boolits yesterday." "I shall cast more than 1,000 boolits in the future." "I have cast a boat load of boolits in my life time."

ku4hx
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Postes, bird nestes, and casted.

None exist.

Yes, as mentioned............................ Unfortunately, lots of folks didn't excel in English when in school.

Neither does "irregardless" and "mentee" but you'll see both all over the place. Sooner or later what's wrong becomes right because all the ones knowing what's wrong die out, retire or just say to scratch with it.

sundog
05-17-2013, 12:57 PM
OK, now yer treadin' on thin ice.

The pot needed fluxing... [smilie=1:

BruceB
05-17-2013, 01:15 PM
As one who appreciates good English, who TRIES to practice it as much as possible, AND as one who has been accused many times of being a spelling or grammar NAZI.....

I have to thank everyone on this thread for easing my mental strife to a large degree.

Of late, I've mostly just thrown up my metaphorical hands and passed over the abuse and contortions to which our language is so often subjected.

Has anyone else ever wondered what sort of label to which we might be subjected, had Hitler and his henchmen not provided such an easy characterization with their NAZI terminology? Heavens.... the poverty-stricken souls who always use "NAZI" might actually have to exercise some IMAGINATION for their insults. Mind you, NAZI is rather easy to spell, which doubtless adds considerably to the attraction of the name..... for the needy.

runfiverun
05-17-2013, 01:20 PM
i'll probably still say I casted something.
it only refers to the recent past like within 2-3 day's ago.
if it was longer than that, then it was cast, as in I cast them a bit back.
if it's future then it's cast, like i need to, or i'm gonna, or I was just gonna go and cast some.

sirgknight
05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Have I been corrected???

No sir, you have been correcteded!!!

Spud
05-17-2013, 01:33 PM
It's my opinion that this thread should be cast into the deep blue sea. If I'm wrong please don't cast stones, I'll cast about, seeking another thread on which to waste my time.....

Uncle R.
05-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Be careful. We live in a society that increasingly insists that knowledge "ain't no gooderen" ignorance and ability is "irregardless." If you dare to suggest otherwise you'll be accused of elitism and excoriated with smug self-righteousness. We are living with the first generation of Americans less educated than their parents, and too many don't know or don't care. Our society swirls 'round the bowl as the darkness draws ever closer...

Uncle R.

gnoahhh
05-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Having read this with a soup็on (small amount) of hilarity, I shall leave you to it for I am out of here to go spend a couple of days harassing some wild brown trout- to whom I shall cast my line upon the waters.

OT note: There are a plethora of characters available for use on your key board that I think a lot of people don't know about. For example: degree (as in temperature)= บ (70บ Fahrenheit), cents=ข, accents, etc. over letters= เ, ้. They are found by googling "special ALT characters" for a list. To use them, first make sure your "NUM LOCK" button is engaged (over by the numbers pad on the right side of the keyboard). A little warning light should glow when engaged. Just press it to light up the light, and then just leave it on forever. When you wish to type a symbol you the merely press the "Alt" key and while holding it down press the series of number keys (again, only those on the RH side of the keyboard) for the symbol you want. บ, ฝ, พ, ฃ, ฿, ๑, ็, etc. I printed out a list of all the available characters and posted it on the wall behind my desk.

Just a little something I stumbled on to after wondering for a long time how people accomplished that. I thought they had special keyboards that I didn't!

Blammer
05-17-2013, 02:00 PM
"The die has been cast"

Molds cost, die's cast.

popper
05-17-2013, 02:03 PM
How about less & lesser, few & fewer. Those trained talking robots on TV never do get it right. Course they don't know the difference between an AR & AK either. For that matter, an attack & hunting gun.

drsfmd
05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
One of my pet peeves is looking at old car ads that say "needs restored" rather tnan "needs restoration" or "needs to be restored".

BAGTIC
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
I believe one reason grammatical errors have become so common place is political correctness. Everyone is afraid to correct anyone about anything. The result is that those making honest mistakes continue because they are never told otherwise. How would children learn proper behavior if their parents and other role models did not correct them? One of the greatest thing about the internet is that whenever I see a word I don't know or a doubtful spelling I can immediately conform them. I may have been born ignorant but the only person I can blame if I die ignorant is myself.

I compare it to being told by someone that my fly is open. Should I be offended and angry with them because they called attention to an error or should I be grateful that they have given me an opportunity to correct it? Personally I would rather experience a brief temporary embarassment than walk about all day looking like a fool. I welcome the opportunity to learn by being corrected.

Now one of my personal favorite grammatical errors. "I've got", "We've got", etc. Example, "I have got". 'Have' means to possess (present tense). 'Got' means to acquire (past tense) of 'to get'. To possess and to acquire do not mean the same thing. 'Have' is an intransitive verb. 'Get' is a transitive verb. They do not belong together. Either we have something (now) or we got it (in the past) but not both at the same time. One either has it or fot it.

Another favorite is "literally" which may be the only English word that in common use is its own antonym. Correctly "literally" means letter for letter, precisely. In common usage it has come to mean also "figuratively" or 'imprecisely'.

H.Callahan
05-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Past tense of "cast" is "shot" -- at least with most of the boolits I cast...

snuffy
05-17-2013, 03:59 PM
gnoahhh, here's a webpage of those characters.

http://home.earthlink.net/~awinkelried/keyboard_shortcuts.html

‘’“”†‡‰‹Œ‹ ›œžŸ
Nuts! I just tried that link, says I'm denied access. I know I accessed it before, printed the pages out for use.

Well you get the idea, there's many more. My favorite is the upside down question mark,ฟฟ

One of my pet peeves is when someone says I'm going to go weight some thing! Dadgummit, leave the T off that!

fcvan
05-17-2013, 04:08 PM
HCallahan, I loved that!. So here's my tuppence, boolits aren't (I tried to type casted and my iPad corrected coasted) one more time

Boolits aren't casted, they are loaded. Then they are shotted :)

lts70
05-17-2013, 04:38 PM
My wife graduated college with an English major / Editing minor. I graduated with a Construction management major/ business management minor. I struggle with grammar at times, nothing big, mostly stuff like the examples given above. I don’t mind being corrected and have made some changes but sometimes I think people get a little too uppity about it as well. To each their own.

alamogunr
05-17-2013, 04:47 PM
gnoahhh, here's a webpage of those characters.

http://home.earthlink.net/~awinkelried/keyboard_shortcuts.html

‘’“”†‡‰‹Œ‹ ›œžŸ
Nuts! I just tried that link, says I'm denied access. I know I accessed it before, printed the pages out for use.

Well you get the idea, there's many more. My favorite is the upside down question mark,ฟฟ

One of my pet peeves is when someone says I'm going to go weight some thing! Dadgummit, leave the T off that!

Here's another site of ALT characters:

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/ALTchrc.html

I would suggest just copying down those that would be used most often. Hunting through 254 characters to find one is definitely not productive. Many of those listed are just another way to get a character(letter) that is already on the keyboard.

PS the upside down question mark is not on the site I referenced. Where did you find it and what is it used for?

62chevy
05-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Great! I came here to learn about castboolits and got an English lesson instead.

Mk42gunner
05-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Molds cost, die's cast.

But dice cost. Sometimes a lot.

Seriously, I always learn something on threads like this. I wasn't the most attentive student in english when I was in school; I really didn't see how learning to diagram sentences would help me later in life. Of course that was before the Internet, where the main form of communication is the written word.

I read a lot and can usually tell when something isn't written correctly, but punctuation and fat fingered typing still get me.

I didn't start college until after I retired from the Navy, and I was disappointed at the level of instruction. The only useful thing the English and Literaure classes taught that my junior high English teacher didn't was how to write an essay.

Robert

nvbirdman
05-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I have contemplate this problem for a long time. I have even sleep on it. I hope I have not waste my time, but I still don't have an answer.

snuffy
05-17-2013, 07:19 PM
PS the upside down question mark is not on the site I referenced. Where did you find it and what is it used for?

alt+0191ฟ I consider it a sideways look or quizzical look, slant of the head when asking a question. I'll take a look at your list too.

alamogunr
05-17-2013, 07:38 PM
I just checked that ALT 0191 is not in the list I referenced. Odd omission.

There are several gaps in the list. My statement of 254 ALT characters was an error. I just looked at the full list.

catboat
05-17-2013, 07:45 PM
http://grammarist.com/usage/casted/

Cut/pasted from the above link...

Usage of "Casted"

ExamplesFirst, let’s look at two examples of the traditional form. In this example, cast is used as a past-tense verb:

I cast my line, and sure enough he was all over it. [Colorado Angler]
And in this sentence, cast is a past participle:

Ranulph Mabier, cast ashore by one of the Channel’s fierce storms, comes to live with the du Frocqs … [Shelf Love]
When the verb cast means to assemble a lineup of actors, the past-tense and past-participle casted is becoming more common. Here are a few examples of the word in action:

Jessica Biel, left, and Jaime Foxx, centre front, star in Garry Marshall’s impressively casted romantic comedy Valentine’s Day. [Metro News]

The total votes casted in Uniontown on Tuesday were 1,431, which represented a turnout of 55 percent. [Associated Press via Real Clear Politics]

It has casted a pall over Delhi’s Games just as the problem-plagued event has begun to iron out the kinks. [Australian]
Of course, we are never required to use casted, and those who prefer the older form can go on using it, even in theater- and fishing-related contexts. Most editors around the English-speaking world still stamp it out when they see it
My 2c:

"Cast" as in "cast boolit" is a descriptive term of the noun "boolit." To me that makes it an adjective. Adjectives don't have past/present tenses. For example (adjectives in caps): " a HOT coal". "a RUSTY shotgun", "a CAST boolit."

You don't have past tenses of "HOT", "RUSTY", or "CAST" as these words describet he noun, not an action word (which would be a verb).

IF "cast" was used as verb, I believe it would be be "cast" for past, present or future tenses.

"Yesterday, I cast some boolits." (past tense of the verb form "cast." )
"Tomorrow, I will cast some boolits." (future).

Now, if you ever write a movie about cast boolits, and have to hire a cast to find out who has the LEAD role (ha, ha, ha), you may have to resort to using the term "CASTED" as you describe the selection and audition process that was conducted.

"Last year, I casted for the actor parts in the cast boolit action-adventure movie. We had to cast a wide net to get the right person for the lead in the movie "Get the lead out." The irony was that the lead actress was told to "break a leg" for good luck in the movie screening, and she did just that. I got to sign her leg cast . "

Stop asking these tough questions about grammar and cast/MAKE some boolits.

Bzcraig
05-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Have I been corrected???

Actually, I read it as neither is incorrect.

alamogunr
05-17-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't requested this thread be moved to "Humor and Off Topic"

Bzcraig
05-17-2013, 08:03 PM
This thread has caused me to have much greater appreciation for the truth that this site is dedicated to Cast Boolits, no matter when you poured or ladled (is that a word) them.

:brokenima

Alan in Vermont
05-17-2013, 08:04 PM
One of my pet peeves is looking at old car ads that say "needs restored" rather tnan "needs restoration" or "needs to be restored".

AWRIGHT!! Someone else who sees that as annoying, I applaud you!

rockshooter
05-17-2013, 09:01 PM
methinks there is a tense left out between cast and shot- lubed
loren- at the Nevada cast boolet shoot!

I'll Make Mine
05-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Okay, I'll be a little contrarian. "Casted" is a legitimate past tense usage -- not for "cast" as in pouring molten metal (for which "I cast a hundred bullets" becomes "Yesterday, I cast a hundred bullets."), but for "cast" as in applying a plaster immobilizer to a (presumably broken) bone -- "The emergency room casted my broken wrist and now I can't type above 15 words per minute."

RBDAVE
05-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Past tense of "cast" is "shot" -- at least with most of the boolits I cast...

Is recasted again past tense or future tense?

Mike W1
05-17-2013, 09:12 PM
How about site and sight, they're or there or their. Obviously the kids need more computers in school. Or my real unfavorite, "I seen such and such".

noylj
05-17-2013, 10:46 PM
I love the modern idea that if enough idiots use a word, than it becomes a real word.
It's so nice to know the a knowledge of English is no longer needed, since any grammar errors will simply be accepted as right due to usage.
As I was sat on the table thunkin' bout my casted boolits, me realized that myself still ain't lerned enuff.

Von Gruff
05-17-2013, 11:04 PM
And that post noylj, brings up one of the impropper word usages that I find annoying. Using myself when I is the correct word to use as in "John and myself went hunting " rather than "John and I went hunting with soft nosed bullets that we had cast and loaded three weeks previously"

45-70 Chevroner
05-17-2013, 11:31 PM
"The die has been cast"

I believe that covers it pretty well.

geargnasher
05-18-2013, 01:31 AM
And that post noylj, brings up one of the impropper word usages that I find annoying. Using myself when I is the correct word to use as in "John and myself went hunting " rather than "John and I went hunting with soft nosed bullets that we had cast and loaded three weeks previously"

Yes. Like "Joe and I went to town". "Joe gave me money for gas". Most people get those correct, but few would say "Andy took Joe and me shooting", instead they would say "Andy took Joe and I shooting" the same way they would say "I went shooting". It is correct to say "The picture is of my wife, dog, and me", not "I". But, "I am in that picture" of course is correct. Me don't understand why this is so complicated to some of yous.

And AMEN, Noylj. In four years we finally find something upon which to agree wholeheartedly!

Gear

Tatume
05-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Then there's the word "data." Compare these correct usages:
The data are velocities recorded 15 feet from the muzzle and they are in fps.
The numbers are velocities recorded 15 feet from the muzzle and they are in fps.

Now consider an often encountered misuse:
The data is velocities recorded 15 feet from the muzzle and it is in fps.
The numbers is velocities recorded 15 feet from the muzzle and it is in fps.

Take care, Tom

mrs.goodsteel
05-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Ya'll are funny!

blackthorn
05-18-2013, 11:09 AM
After reading post #44 I breathed a sigh of relief----there is nought wrong with the way I spell---it is just that I am a language pioneer!!!Purdy soon the rest of the idiots in the world will spell just like I do! LOL!!

trk
05-18-2013, 01:27 PM
The die is cast!

YES! Damocles?

montana_charlie
05-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Using myself when I is the correct word to use as in "John and myself went hunting " rather than "John and I went hunting with soft nosed bullets that we had cast and loaded three weeks previously"
That relationship was mulled over in a succession of four posts back in November during a similar thread ...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?172247-Is-English-Taught-in-our-Schools-Anymore&p=1927781&viewfull=1#post1927781

CM

Sig
05-18-2013, 02:39 PM
If you find that offensive, I imagine that you have a problem with "ebonics" also.:kidding:

fatelk
05-18-2013, 02:41 PM
ฟNo hablas espa๑ol?

By the way, thanks for the info and link on special characters. I've often wondered how to do that.

Here's one for the swagers among us; how often do you hear or read someone talk about "swagging"? Maybe I should get me one of them there fancy die sets and swag some bullets.

A pet peeve of mine is the use of a word that is actually technically correct- "gift". I think the first time I ever heard the word gift used as a verb was maybe a decade ago from a mortgage broker: "Doesn't one of you have parents that can gift you some money for a bigger down payment?" (It irritated me mostly because I'm sure as heck not going to go begging my folks for their hard-earned money just so I can buy a house a heck of a lot nicer than what they started out with.)

In that context it's more of a correct, precise legal term, but it just irritates me when I hear people use it in everyday language just to sound smart; "Look at the tools my buddy gifted me when I helped him move" or "My kids gifted me a new tie for Father's Day".

No offense intended if you talk that way. We've all got our quirks and idiosyncrasies. I was once made fun of for saying "use to could". I guess that's not proper grammar either. :)

geargnasher
05-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Anybody using MS Windows as an OS should have and accessory called "character map" which contains, I believe, all of them.

"Used to could" is used commonly in central Texas, more as an expression than anything. The single biggest annoyance to me is the virtually illiterate white trash around these parts that think "onliest" is a word, as if it wasn't just the only, but the only-EST one around! Another one is starting a sentence with a double-conjunction like "Also, too, you know ......."

Gear

montana_charlie
05-18-2013, 05:41 PM
"Look at the tools my buddy gifted me when I helped him move" or "My kids gifted me a new tie for Father's Day".
For some reason, I think it stems from the fact that so many kids and young adults speak, hear, and write 'phonetically', these days.
I have this suspicion that 'gifted me' is in some way related to 'gived it to me' ... but it got heard wrong somewhere along the way, and has now become commonplace.

CM

Lance Boyle
05-18-2013, 06:06 PM
easy enough.

Where did you cast your lure?

Oh, I cast it in front of the stump then beyond the stump.

Bzcraig
05-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Ya'll are funny!

Ok guys, if Mrs Goodsteel likes us, that benefits Mr Goodsteel, so we need to somehow extort him and I understand he has some good skills!

Von Gruff
05-18-2013, 08:30 PM
YES! Damocles?

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Miscelaneous/thumbsup2_zpsc1d5d77f.gif (http://s667.photobucket.com/user/VonGruff/media/Miscelaneous/thumbsup2_zpsc1d5d77f.gif.html)http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Miscelaneous/thumbsup2_zpsc1d5d77f.gif (http://s667.photobucket.com/user/VonGruff/media/Miscelaneous/thumbsup2_zpsc1d5d77f.gif.html)http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Miscelaneous/thumbsup2_zpsc1d5d77f.gif (http://s667.photobucket.com/user/VonGruff/media/Miscelaneous/thumbsup2_zpsc1d5d77f.gif.html)

Alchemist
05-18-2013, 09:24 PM
asifgrmmerandspellunwasntenufyouseguyscantseemtous epunkyouationandcapatoleyesationneethur

Bzcraig
05-18-2013, 09:27 PM

Not pounded at all....great thread! Where else can we go and get learned and entertained!

merlin101
05-18-2013, 09:31 PM

It be jus like a bullet only different!

warboar_21
05-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I think casted is a more gooder word

NVScouter
05-18-2013, 10:44 PM
I too hate "for sell"

When searching Craigslist it has come to mean stolen or junk items usually askin top dollar. Many of these folks can't read so its the kids posting. Today at Albertsons a Mexican man about 50 had a hankerchief of coins and was trying to figure out the Coinstar machine. He asked me for help in Spanish so I changed it to Spanish...he couldn't read that either.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Few of the "casted" language users can deal with the correct use of "melt" or "smelt" and many other terms, in addition the the other stumbling blocks noted above.

It seems that early in bozo bin lying's second term a new wave of this kind of language invaded CB like a tsunami of noobs. However, our CB efforts are technical in nature and require common understandings.

Some take offense too and write nasty PMs. Yet, without a common understanding of the meaning of words, communications are more difficult. But if people do not care to communicate well.............

It is one thing to play at communicating in utterly phony supposedly mountain man language, or ebonics, and another thing to display lack of understanding and not care enough to use correct terminology.

BvT