PDA

View Full Version : Scout scopes

Denver
09-14-2007, 01:16 PM
What's the difference between "scout scopes" and handgun scopes? Is it only the eye relief? Are there pistol scopes that will work as well as the scout variety?
I'd like to put a scout scope on my Marlin 35 Rem, but don't know anything about them. I've pretty much ruled out the Red Dot scopes as I want the magnification of a conventional scope.

Thanks, Denver :castmine:

Blammer
09-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I have a "pistol" scope on my mauser that I use like a scout scope.

It works wonderfully.

I found that "scout" scopes just cost more than their "pistol" scope bretherin.

If I remember correctly I have a simmons 2x8x36 pistol scope on my rifle and it works GREAT!

Wayne Smith
09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought a pistol scope mounted forward was a scout scope. The definition is in the location and eye relief.

Denver
09-14-2007, 05:45 PM
From what I see in ads for pistol scopes, there are IER (intermediate eye relief) and EER (extended eye relief) models. Very little information as to the actual eye relief in the catalogs and ads. I think I read somewhere that the EER models aren't suited for use as a scout scope. ??

Blammer
09-14-2007, 05:49 PM
It all depends on how far out the scout scope is. Mine is an EER, about 8-12 inches as I recall, here is a pic.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/364088.JPG

Blammer
09-14-2007, 05:50 PM
nope its a weaver

Blammer
09-14-2007, 05:51 PM
what you see in the background are High Speed Impact Testing Devices...

Dale53
09-14-2007, 06:44 PM
The first quality handgun scope I bought was a Leupold Scout Scope made for the 30-30. It did not have quite enough eye relief for a handgun scope but it actually worked quite well (and still does:-D .

Very little information as to the actual eye relief in the catalogs and ads. I think I read somewhere that the EER models aren't suited for use as a scout scope. ??

That's something that drives me crazy about "ads" in general. Ads could help a LOT more than they do (both to the company trying to sell something and to those of us who buy). In my view, companies are missing a GREAT opportunity by allowing strictly "ad types" to write their ads. It falls right up there with instruction manuals (HORRIBLE quality). :( :( :(

Dale53

MT Gianni
09-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Dale, I think most instruction manuals are written in Bulgarian, translated in to Thai and then English all by non native speakers. Most are Ok if you already understand the process. Heaven help you if you don't. gianni

Dale53
09-14-2007, 11:54 PM
That is something that manufacturers probably won't start to "fix" until one of them loses a really BIG lawsuit for "failure to properly inform". It's really pretty silly when all they have to do is have someone who CARES do the manual. That's all it takes. When I do a self help article in the Journal, it is understandable by anyone who can read. I have had no special training in "manual writing" and if I can do it, why can't they employ someone who also "can"?

Dale53

Pepe Ray
09-15-2007, 12:56 PM
As you say, "it's because you care."
As to the lack of information. Any good sized sporting goods store should have product pamphlets from the respective manufacturers. Sometimes called catalogs, they describe the features of their products. The "catalogs are free." In these we can find the eye relief for each model of scope within the respective brand.
If you wish to have more comprehensive info, pick up a copy of the Gun Digest or the Shooters Bible or the "Optics version of same". They have tables from these "catalogs".
I'll wager that the info can be found thru "The Net" as well.
Pepe Ray

Jim
09-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Man, that's a BEAUTIFUL rifle! And the positioning of the scope really intrigues me. I might hafta check into that.

snowtigger
09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I have a particular interest in "scout scopes". I have a.280 Remington, built on a Type 99Arisaka. The problem is that the SAFETY is all but unusable with a scope mounted in the usual location.
I need to find a good scope , any recommendations? Under $400.00 if possible. At this time, even that is too high, but it is a long winter.
Another question. Has anyone had any experience with after-market triggers for these Jap rifles?

Bigjohn
09-20-2007, 03:29 AM
IRC when the "Scout" scope first came out, the eye relief was 10 to 12" while the pistol scopes have an eye relief of 14 to 18".

I have one of the first 'BURRIS' 'Scout' scopes which I have tried it out but it is not too successful for me; guess I'm too used to the standard scopes. There have been a lot of changes since this was produced.

John

Lloyd Smale
09-20-2007, 06:05 AM
one thing to keep in mind is that when eye relief lenghtens field of view is reduced so a guy would want to buy a scope with just the eye relief he needed and no more

Denver
09-20-2007, 09:04 AM
While doing some further searching, I found the Weaver handgun scope to be a likely candidate for what I want. It has an eye relief of 8-12 inches which should put it at just about the right distance for use on a rifle.
BTW, Midways' online catalog has scope specs on just about every scope they offer along with customer reviews. Very helpful in making a choice.

Denver :castmine:

fourarmed
09-20-2007, 11:00 AM
The now-discontinued Burris 7x and 10x IER scopes should be about right for eye relief, though they may have a little too much magnification.

BD
09-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I have an old swede M96 cut to 22" and bedded into a ram-tec stock with the leupold scout scope mounted forward of the action. I milled the rear sight base flat and just screwed a piece of Weaver rail onto it to mount the scope. I call this the "Ugly Gun". In Maine it lived behind the seat of my truck all the time. It is my favorite rifle for still hunting. I shot the biggest buck of my life with it. The key to scout rifles is to use a very low power scope, 2x or thereabouts, with the proper eye relief to mount forward of the action. This allows you to carry the gun normally at the balance point, use the stripper clips, and keep the original safety.
You want to get the stock drop and length of pull correct so you mount it and shoot it like a shotgun, both eyes open and tracking the target. Used this way the scope just superimposes a cross hair on your target image. But if you get the chance you haven't given up your ability to take your time and steady up for a longer shot making allowances for range and wind using the reticle, something I just can't seem to do as easily with a red dot. I used the $29.00, (on sale at Natchez), ram-tec stock for two reasons; 1. I'm a yankee and just as tight as a pine knot. 2. I wanted to be able to carve it up good, guilt free, to get the drop right. Some long winter when I'm back up north I'll make it a proper wooden stock. In the meantime I figure no one's likely to steal it.
BD

AnthonyB
09-21-2007, 05:10 PM
I have a Burris 2x7 pistol scope mounted on a M1895 45-70 and a Leupold 2x Scout scope mounted on the 356 Winchester and love them both. I used the Marlin on a running doe at about fifty yards and made the greatest game shot of my life - the guy who was with me still talks about that shot. I am a believer in the concept. Tony

357tex
09-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I have a $45 BSA 2X pistol scope on a md 38 nagant.It has fired 2000 rd or better all cast.It still works good.Talk about a ugly rifle,I cut the stock down,used the cut off hand guard to build up the comb with epoxy,and painted it black.It is a toss up if it or my 99 savage carries and handles better.It has killed a few pigs.