PDA

View Full Version : .45-70 500gr

Clay45
05-16-2013, 08:42 PM
I have a buffalo classic and I am casting the lee 500gr r3. I went to chamber one and the bullet went in to the rifling about an 1/8th of an inch is that okay to fire?( I had to force it in a little)

Green Lizzard
05-16-2013, 08:46 PM
mine is the same it shoots great

Clay45
05-16-2013, 09:04 PM
SO basically I can make it as long as I want? I understood someone to say that, but i wanted to make sure. Thanks, I appreciate the information

fouronesix
05-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Engraving on chambering is a very common technique- especially for working toward max accuracy. Very common for blackpowder loads. For most smokeless loads it's fine, but to do it safely you should start on the low end, work up and watch for pressure. It does increase pressure.

Clay45
05-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Ok I don't currently have a loading manual, but I research my loads a lot. I did my first batch today with 37.5 gr of varget.

softpoint
05-16-2013, 09:35 PM
I shoot smokeless in my Browning BPCR (don't tell anyone!) I shoot that same bullet. I seat it out to just touch the rifling, or I breech seat with an adjustable seater I made. When I breech seat, I push the bullet into the rifling with the seater until no light is showing around the bullet. I haven't detected much difference in accuracy so far, but the breech seating is kind of fun if you are in no hurry to load. And all you need to reload is a way to decap and reprime, measure powder, (I use a Lee scoop) and the seater plug. Brass should last nearly forever like this, and you eliminate inconsistent neck tension. I shoot 20.8 gr. 2400 with a pinch of poly filler for 1300 fps. out of the Browning.

Brad Phillips
05-16-2013, 11:04 PM
I have shot many 457125's through a sharps with black powder, the pressure spikes are not such a major thing with black powder. I would caution against bumping into the rifling with smokeless, especially if you don't own a reloading manual.

At the very least use factory powder company website info, not just so and so's load off the web. Always a good idea, even for old timers.