PDA

View Full Version : puma 454

Dogg
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
After 2 years of looking finally lucked out and found a used 16" puma 454. Currently refinishing the stock and thinking about trying to bead blast the stainless parts. Looking to replace the sights but not sure what I want. Guess eventually I'll get around to shooting it and look into load developement. Really would like to swap out the stock lever for a big loop, it's hard getting my 3xl hanb and fingers in that stock lever.
Anyone with info for loads that work well in the 16" please chime in. At least this one has acceptable stock inletting, my 20" puma 454 looks like the person who fitted stock was blind or took the day off since they left up to 1/4" of proud metal and more gap than any gun stock should ever have.
Will post pics when done. Untill then if you have a 454 post your pics, I may want to copy something you have.
Thanks and have a great day, Dogg out.

missionary5155
05-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Greetings
Now a caliber .45 Colt is not a .454 but I am very happy with a receiver sight on one of mine. Far faster sighting and the sight is well out of eyebrow impact. Seeing as you want new sight that is an option. Any flat sided base Williams or Redfield made for Winchester or Marlin will fit on there.
Probably have to drill and tap but that is a easy task.
Mike in Peru

snaketail
05-17-2013, 07:00 PM
If you remove the Semi-Buckhorn rear sight you'll find the barrel tapped for a "scout" scope. I discovered this when mounting a tang sight on My Rossi M92 .454. You'll want to fill the sight dovetail. but mounting a long eye relief scope will not be a problem (I'm assuming the Puma is the same as my Rossi).
The tang sight works well - well beyond any range you'd take game with the rifle. As for a "Scout" scope I don't have a clue what would work best.
Here's a photo of mine.

helice
05-23-2013, 10:52 PM
My LSI Puma is a Stainless in 45 Colt. I pulled the bolt mounted safety and mounted one of Stevez Guns Skinner type peep sights in its place. (If I was anything but a computer flunkie I'd post a picture of it. So far all attempts at that have been a wash.) I have found that it has improved my shooting measurably. Unlike some, I didn't mind the safety but I like the sight a LOT better than the safety. It was cheap, easy to install, simple and strong. Nothing wrong with that.

Dogg
05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Guess mine is an older model, I pulled the rear sight but it is not drilled for a scope. It has the safety so the drill and tapped scope holes must be a fairly recent addition. I have skinner sights on several other rifles, so may go that route.

pmer
05-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Can the 454 Puma's feed cartridges that are longer? My 45 Colt Rossi preffers to stay close standard length OALs. Doesn't like 300 grain long flat noses etc.

Gunnut 45/454
05-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Dogg
If you want to have some real fun load up some 240 gr XTP Mags! I can run them at 2200 fps plus!
Great for disintergrating milk jugs! PS if your closer then twenty feet -wear a rain jacket!

rbuck351
05-26-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm shooting the Lee 300gr (actual 317 in ww) over 31gr of Lil Gun for 1950 fps from my 20" LSI. They feed and shoot fine. I replaced my safety with a home made sight similar to the one by Steves Guns. I think only the guns made in the last 3 or 4 years are drilled under the rear sight. Mine is not.

BCRider
05-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Dogg, if your Puma has the bolt mounted safety up on top there's someone out there that makes a replacement safety that is actually a rear peed sight. Turn it so you can see and it's in "FIRE" mode. Turn it 90 degrees so you can't see through it and it's on "SAFE". Not sure if it allows for elevation changes. And obviously there's no windage adjustment. But depending on what you want it might be an option.

koehlerrk
05-29-2013, 06:41 AM
Well, it's not a Rossi, or a 454, but I put a set of Williams sights on my Marlin 1894 and have been happy ever since.

Williams WGRS peep on the back, insert removed so I can use it as a ghost-ring, and a fiber-optic Fire-sight in the front. Works great!