PDA

View Full Version : Has Gunkid ever been here?

Liberty'sSon
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I just discovered the history of Gunkid the other day. I was wondering if he has ever made an appearance here. If so does anyone have any stories to tell?

runfiverun
05-16-2013, 06:22 PM
not here, but he made a pass through gun and game a few years back.
I remember reading about his supremely viable 22.
I missed the wheel barrow story's.

Bent Ramrod
05-16-2013, 09:37 PM
I think he was popped a year or so before this site came up. He was a feature on the old Shooter's site under the name "Hardin," and later "Amanda," when he was banned under his own name and logged on with his daughter's computer. He claimed to have a high-capacity, suppressed auto pistol in .22 Hornet that shot pewter bullets at incredible velocities. If he put a notch in the handle for every person and dog that he claimed to have shot with it, it must have looked like he stuck it into a wood chipper.

He was big on the Gravest Extreme, SHTF, Now-Or-Never, Whatcha-Gonna-Do scenario. Some sucker would chime in, taking him seriously, and he would come back with a solution that resembled a one-man Battle of the Bulge. Some of his threads would go on for hundreds of posts. Many of them were him replying to his own posts after everyone else had been reduced to astounded cybersilence.

He had that rare gift of being able to irritate any member of any race, creed, national origin, religion, genus, or species in one or two posts.

missionary5155
05-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Greetings
Sounds like he was preparing to run for public office in Chicago.
Mike in Peru

runfiverun
05-16-2013, 09:57 PM
I think he made governor Mike.

Wots
05-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Mike
Hate to tell you.
From what I just read of this fellow, he did get elected as mayor of chicago.

TXGunNut
05-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Sounds like he was a legend in his own mind, he may have toned it down a bit or found a site that enjoyed that sort of nonsense.

Liberty'sSon
05-16-2013, 10:24 PM
He's probably back in prison then. Dang, I was hoping he could help me design a safety seat for my debarked chihuahua on my tactical wheelbarrow.;-)

Hamish
05-16-2013, 10:31 PM
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/07/goodbye-gunkid.html

Holy Canoli Batman!

Relased March 29, 2012

http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet?Transaction=IDSearch&needingMoreList=false&IDType=IRN&IDNumber=84034-012&x=79&y=7

Actually, he is active and still serious about bidness. Read all the to the bottom:

http://multigun.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/the-return-of-gunkid/

Jammersix
05-16-2013, 10:37 PM
I confess I have never witness cyber-silence.

I am awed.

km101
05-17-2013, 12:01 AM
He had that rare gift of being able to irritate any member of any race, creed, national origin, religion, genus, or species in one or two posts.

I think I used to work with this guy!!!!! Or maybe it was his twin brother, but it sounds just like him. :P

Hamish
05-17-2013, 12:13 AM

drsfmd
05-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Haven't thought about him for a long time, but some of those old threads were epically entertaining (provided that one knew not to take them seriously... some newbies could have gotten themselves in trouble with the "info" he was spreading). I've wondered if he may have been Gecko45 of the epic "mall ninja" threads at glocktalk.

Bent Ramrod
05-17-2013, 03:30 PM
As a student (and connoisseur) of Internet trolls, I have to say that Hardin/Gunkid was certainly a worthy pioneer, but not really at the top of his field, especially in the light of later developments. There was a guy named Robert, who later became Just Some Guy, on 24Hr Campfire and Accurate Reloading, who had it all over Hardin in bombast, bitter invective and post volume. He once pushed the question of whether the .303 Savage had a .308" or .311" groove diameter to thirty pages or so, most of it blistering obloquy from him. I wouldn't have ever imagined three one-thousandths of an inch was such a vitally important, deeply emotional issue, but obviously it was.

But the champ of all time, IMNSHO, was Big Mortie. He used the same photo Semtav uses now and hung out on the Marlin forum. Like all truly world-class Internet trolls, he never engaged in argument and never used bad language, but nonetheless he managed to drive everybody else, on whatever thread he was posting on, absolutely Bat-Guano Crazy.

The persona he projected was that of an ignorant country bumpkin who couldn't spell or express himself very clearly. He claimed to live in Michigan ("Where Squill [squirrels] Run Wild") and used a H&R Topper in .30-06 to "blast" them. He only used Remington Green Box ammo. He would take their tails and nail them to the walls of his "traylor" while his wife "(350 lbs)" cooked the "squill" with "taters, greens" and other stuff. He would insert comments into other people's discussions, claiming that he was "promoting feloship" among the hunting and shooting brotherhood.

All his posts were in caps, and his misspellings were amazingly consistent for somebody who supposedly couldn't spell. He said nothing particularly controversial; was actually quite chummy with everybody. At first people would go along with him for amusement, but inevitably some sorehead would emerge, accusing Mortie of "trying to make all shooters/hunters look like morons" and off the game would go. Mortie would never take offense, would argue that he was just there like everyone else, but once the ball was started, more and more people would get more and more furious with him until, inevitably, poor Mortie would be "baned." He came back briefly as MarlinMan on the Marlin site and as Mortie on another site I can't recall the name of, but inevitably, he was "baned" from all of them and disappeared.

I missed him. I checked the registry of MS and PHD dissertations for a month or so to see if anybody with the first or last name of Mortimer had gotten his Master's or PHD in psychology with a thesis like "Some Notes on the Group Dynamic Of Internet Web Fora" or some such, in vain. But I am pretty sure Big Mortie will make his mark in the world, either as a world-class social psychologist, or as an advertising executive or politician. He knew how human beings ticked, for sure.

I think it is a great credit to this site that the general respectful tone and level of technical interest of the people who post, as much as the efforts of the moderators, has minimized the attentions of such people here. Like plaque in an artery or infection in a wound, these people need a place to stick to before they begin to do their damage. Gunkid thrived because the testosterone level of the handgun sites he frequented would induce Male-Pattern Baldness in a 20 year old if he read them too often. He was just the same thing pushed to its illogical limits. The mighty hunters, extreme range marksmen and other self-promoters were Mortie's natural prey; if they thought he made them look like idiots, maybe they had something there. Robert, on the other hand, was just mean. Robert was why there are moderators.