PDA

View Full Version : Mold and casting confusion

WCF3030
09-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Not sure which place to put this so I did it twice.

I've not posted here for awhile.

I have a question about my new Lyman mold 311041 and mold and WW temp.

I've not done a whole lot of casting with most being in the last 3 weeks.
Up until now my only experince was with the Lee 150gr 30 cal alum single cavity mold and WW, Lyman gc, and lee lube.
First time out I got it too work, resized and shot some great groups out of my Marlin and H&R 30-30.
It has worked great since.
I melt some WW in my tiny Lee furnace with the gage set on high, clean off the scum on top and start casting.

I tryed the same thing with the Lyman and had very different results, being steel instead of alum it took longer to heat, which I expected. But then it seems like the mold got to hot, took longer for the lead to cool, harder to resize. I had water queched both the Lee and Lyman bullets, but the Lyman was much harder.
I did the same things with both molds. I resized the same, used the Lee Lube before and after resizing, same gc, almost the same load.
The accuracy was terrible. As in a 3x4 inch group at 50 yards with a scope terrible
Now before I go any further, I want to say that I shoot alot, and have shot alot of cast this year some of my own, but mostly what was given to me or Oregon Trail that I have bought. No jacketed thru this Marlin in months and I started with my clean bore as always.
Here is a pic of what the rifle can do all day long with any every kind of cast I've shot thru it.
5 rounds, 50yds, open sights, with some bullets w30wcf had sent me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Trails650/100_0148.jpg

So I'm pretty convinced that I am doing something wrong with this new mold.
I'm sure there will be more questions on my procedure but some advice would be nice.

Thanks.

9.3X62AL
09-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I got MUCH better results from most of my moulds by lowering the casting alloy temp to about 675*-700*. By "better results", I mean larger and more consistent diameters and no "frosting". This applies to both aluminum and iron/steel molds.

WCF3030
09-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I got MUCH better results from most of my moulds by lowering the casting alloy temp to about 675*-700*. By "better results", I mean larger and more consistent diameters and no "frosting". This applies to both aluminum and iron/steel molds.

I'll need a temp gage.
So the Lee mold regulates heat better?
It would seem that way.

scrapcan
09-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Aluminum has different heat transfer properties, higher heat flux capablility. It may not hold the heat as one would like it to because of that quality. You will get the hang of the steel mould. As AL said you may have to lower your temp with the steel mould as it will hold more heat.

WCF3030
09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I like the looks of the 311041 and it was accurate enough to blast some milks jugs into mist.