PDA

View Full Version : "Cast your bread upon the waters....."

Jim
05-16-2013, 01:08 PM
In the ten or so years I've been connected with this bunch of heathens and miscreants, I've made some really good friends. Some have passed, some have left and a few are still here. A few of those I chat with by phone from time to time and really enjoy the BSing.

Last year, in one of those conversations, one of my friends mentioned he didn't have a chrony but had thought about getting one. The conversation changed gears and that was all that was said about it.

At that time, I had a chrony but hadn't used it in seven or eight years. My opinion of the value of the friendship I had established with this man really impressed me. Unbeknownst to him, I packed it up and sent it to him. He was thankful waaay beyond what I thought was enough. I didn't expect any thanks anyway. I gave it to him just 'cause that's what I wanted to do.

Last year, I got interested in developing subsonic load data and got at it. I was asked several times about the velocities. I responded that I didn't have that data as I didn't own a chrony. Not for one nanosecond have I ever regretted giving that chrony to my friend.

Over the winter, I had thought about the possibility of getting another chrony. After all, it is a useful tool in what we do and it would most certainly be useful in what I'm doing. "I'll get one sooner or later."

I stopped by the post office today and found a package waiting. I hadn't ordered anything, but I could have forgotten something. I got home, busted it open and what I found in the box put me on my butt with a big slice of 'humble pie'.

This is NOT from the man I gave my chrony to. I'm dumbfounded. I think now I understand why my friend went overboard in thanking me for the chrony I gave him.

Thank you, my friend. Thank you very much. You made Janet cry with your generosity and I'm having trouble typing this. Something's in my eye. Must be a gnat.

Velocities will be included in the data on all forthcoming load development reports.

bradh
05-16-2013, 01:13 PM
That is a beautiful story, we are a select group!

linotype
05-16-2013, 01:36 PM
That's pretty neat, Jim. Sounds like karma. Every deal, good or bad, makes a ripple.

Dannmann801
05-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for sharing that outstanding story :cool:

Don Purcell
05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Is this an awesome site or what?!!!

DeanWinchester
05-16-2013, 01:56 PM
There is still good in this world. It's about as rare as surplus ammo for a Dutch Beaumont, but there are still good people sporadically placed amongst the filth of the world.

Kings to you Jim. I think you're one of 'em. You've always been square dealin with me....and then some.

gbrown
05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
I am thankful that there are still good people in the world and that every now and then, it appears to me, that God blesses them. A real mystery, for me, from time to time. It's heartening and refreshing to see, that in the troubled times we live in, with threats from all directions it seems, we can still feel gratitude for others and share with them. I'm glad that this extended family we have here is full of these good people I speak of.

km101
05-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Call it karma, blessings, or just "good folks", but what goes around, comes around. Thanks for the great story, and enjoy the Chrony!

And DONT join the "I Shot My Chrony Club"!! We don't need any more new members! :Fire:

Bo1
05-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Awesome story Jim... Good is alway's rewarded especially when you expect nothing...

Bo

Jim
05-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Call it karma, blessings, or just "good folks", but what goes around, comes around. Thanks for the great story, and enjoy the Chrony!

And DONT join the "I Shot My Chrony Club"!! We don't need any more new members! :Fire:

Next week, I'm going to look into 'bullet proofing' it. I've got an idea on what I want to do, just not quite sure yet. I'll post a photo when I get it done.

Norbrat
05-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Next week, I'm going to look into 'bullet proofing' it. I've got an idea on what I want to do, just not quite sure yet. I'll post a photo when I get it done.

PM sent

Philngruvy
05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
That's pretty neat, Jim. Sounds like karma. Every deal, good or bad, makes a ripple.
I am a firm believer in karma.

smoked turkey
05-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Jim I laughed when I first read your original post. My wife in the other room knows me well enough to know that it wasn't just a laugh, so here she came to see what the deal was. I shared your post with her and sort of got something in my eye too. What a wonderful web site we have here. I guess you know it is because of folks like you Jim. Thanks for posting another good one.

EMC45
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Best site online!

fatelk
05-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all Jim. There's a lot of good folks here; down-to-earth honest, friendly people.

I always enjoy your posts, your attitude and outlook. Sometimes a person just doesn't know what kind of influence or affect you might have on people over the years by what you say or write.

I'll also add to the chorus about avoiding membership in the "shot my chronograph" club. I'm embarrassed to admit I've been a member for quite some time. :(

**oneshot**
05-17-2013, 09:40 PM
What a suprise! Now thats what I call Karma!