PDA

View Full Version : How much difference can this make (OAL)

Namerifrats
09-14-2007, 06:37 AM
I loaded my first Cast bullets last night. Made up just 15 test rounds for the 9x18 Mak. My Lee manual shows max OAL to be .982 (funny becuase the sheet that came with the Lee Dies show .980). Anyway, I seated them all to .979 to be safe, after I applied the crimp it seems to have moved or maybe stretched the bullets slightly from the crimp pressure, because after I crimped them I done a final check for any bulges and I always do a final OAL check, they all show .984-.985. Can this affect anything severe enough that I should pull them? I cycled 4 of them through the chamber and they all chambered fine, ejection was a tad tight, nothing big, but it may be fine when ejecting from the gun being fired.

Blammer
09-14-2007, 06:43 AM
naa they'll shoot fine.

Wayne Smith
09-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I would not worry. You should be within spec as long as they chamber. Take down your gun and drop a round in the chamber and make sure they are not too long.

Dale53
09-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Most auto pistols ammo OAL issues are with the magazines. If the round will run through the magazine and your chamber accepts it then it is not too long.

Some autos are temperamental regarding feeding and OAL. If the cartridges are within the above limits and they feed OK, then they are OK:-D .

Dale53