PDA

View Full Version : Ramshot powder?

sljacob
05-15-2013, 09:33 AM
In the last little while I have noticed a few Ramshot powders on the shelf of the LGS's around this area, but very little else.
I have never used these powders so I looked up some load data for True Blue and found a data for all the handguns that I load for.

But before I spend money that I don't have, to try it out I have a few questions...
1. how well does it meter?
2.does it burn clean?
3.is it position or temperature sensitive?

My thoughts are it may be a good back up powder due to its versatility in a wide range of applications or a something to keep in deep storage for lean times like this.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Jake

deepdarkwaters
05-15-2013, 10:09 AM
I use it but only in my ar 15 out of all the powders I use it prints the best groups and it meters easy in my lee auto disk and my smart reloader

mikemc
05-15-2013, 10:32 AM
deepdarkwaters is that with a cast boolit or jacketed?

gareth96
05-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Still waiting on some Ramshot from Midway that I ordered on 3/17.........

deepdarkwaters
05-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Jacket never tried cast in my ar

mdi
05-15-2013, 12:06 PM
I've used True Blue in my .357 and .44 Magnums. All with lead bullets; Lachmiller 160 gr. SWC and Lyman 429421 (and a couple others). From what I can remember True Blue is a fine ball powder that is, in fact too fine for my Lee powder measure, but my C-H measure handles it nicely. I don't have enough info to compare it with other powders, but it seems to be near WC820 for performance. I like it though...

felix
05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a 820 lot through and through. ... felix

FN in MT
05-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Been using their Silhouette for a few years now. Same thing as the now discontinued Winchester Action Pistol.

Works REALLY well in nines, and forty S&W's.

jaysouth
05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I shot up a lot of Zip in .45. Loading data is same for Zip, 231 and HP 38.

It's supposed to be the same powder, if you believe what you hear on the internet.

jameslovesjammie
05-16-2013, 01:30 AM
I've used quite a few of the Ramshot powders. True Blue meters like fine sand...powder drops are VERY consistent. The only issue I had with it was in .38 Special. In lower volume loads, it did leave some unburnt powder in the barrel. Upped the charge a little and issue went away. No issues whatsoever in 9mm and .40.

Blintersifrid
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Looks like I'm adding True Blue, ZIP and Silhouette to the powders I'll be looking for in future.

Thanks,
'Sifrid

felix
05-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Every time Google changes pictures for the St. Marks area, I see a doubling in size for the powder plant there. Amazing! I bet there will be only one powder plant per continent much sooner than later. It is sad to see the small operators closing shops all over the world. Half the hobby fun is using new powders each having different configurations. This might not be the situation later, mostly because the gun hobby folks tend to buy based upon cost using this board as indication. ... felix

ku4hx
05-16-2013, 11:35 AM
1. how well does it meter?
2.does it burn clean?
3.is it position or temperature sensitive?

True Blue
1. Extremely well in my Dillon powder measures.
2. Very clean burning at moderate to high load levels.
3. Haven't seen that in my guns.

I like it so well I'm standardizing on True Blue for 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP. I have other loads (44 Special, 10mm for example) that work quite well at mid range and higher.

True Blue has sufficient bulk to be unlikely to present an unnoticed double charge in 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP.

sljacob
05-17-2013, 07:44 AM
thanks for the input

ku4hs standardizing across a wide range of calibers is kind of what I was thinking too.

I reccon I will go ahead and pick some up and give it a try...after all a new powder leads to more load development witch leads to more shooting, and that leads to more casting and all that together leads to more overall enjoyment.

Jake

trixter
05-17-2013, 05:22 PM
I use Ramshot TAC in my ar15 and love it. It also meters very well in my Lee Pro Auto Disk on my Lee Classic Turret. I like it, like it a lot.