PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight markings???

Black Wolf
09-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi all. I got a bunch of WWs for casting but not sure how to sort them out by their markings; which type of metal they are. Can someone kindly list the markings on the WWs so I can identify which are lead?

Fe - Iron
Al - Aluminum
Zn - Zinc

etc.....

454PB
09-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Obviously any WW marked "ZN" should NOT be used. The steel ones (never saw or heard of an iron one) will float on top, just pick them out with needle nose pliers. If they are marked "AL", it means they were designed for aluminum wheels.

In 36 years of melting wheelweights, I've never come across one made of zinc....yet! Most of mine are old, probably before zinc weights appeared.

I'm not willing to inspect each weight for markings. If you're worried about it, just keep the melt temperature below the 787 degree melting point of zinc, and pick out anything that floats.

pumpguy
09-13-2007, 10:59 PM
454PB is right on target. I get one or two zinc ones per bucket. I know this because they just float to the top when I melt them down. Go ahead and use the ones marked Al. They are lead based and usually just painted so they match and not react with aluminum wheels.

Black Wolf
09-14-2007, 06:18 PM
10-4. Thanks. I usually get from the shop wheel weights designed for commercial trucks (larger and rather similar). However, I recently got a bucket of car wheel weights which had different markings. Thanks.

WCF3030
09-16-2007, 01:52 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but if you have alot of Zinc WW can they be melted down and molded into ignots for use with pure lead?

felix
09-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Yes, you can. If you do, use completely seperate pots, ladles, molds. Never let the two types of lead come together when in a molted state. The boolits made will be extremely light and hard, depending on the percentage of zinc, and would be great for extremely fast twist guns. Do not shoot these boolits in areas were casters shoot, unless the lead deposited can NEVER be retrieved. ... felix

WCF3030
09-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks

Single Shot
09-16-2007, 02:39 PM
All the above is the best advise. Praise the LORD of the SILVER STREAM, ZINC FLOATS.

Just to add, the coding is to tell what the use is.

Notes from the whole sale supplier:

For truly comprehensive coverage of any car or light truck,
try our "Master" and "Ultimate" Wheel Weight Assortments below.

Regular - for Passenger Car Steel Wheels
AW - for Alloy Wheels on older GM, Ford, Chrysler
AWS (coated) - for Alloy Wheels on older GM, Ford, Chrysler
MCS - for recent GM, Ford, Chrysler
IAWS - for many foreign makes to 1996
LHS - for most Chrysler since 1998
FNS - for most Japanese and Korean cars since 1990
ENS - for Audi,VW since '97,Honda,Acura '80-'89,Mercedes
TS - for Light Truck - Ford, Lincoln, GMC,Chevrolet