PDA

View Full Version : SS Bores Brushes

dale2242
05-15-2013, 08:56 AM
I was reading another thread about how clean to try to get a gun barrel.
The bronze brushes do react with the copper solvent.
What about using Stainless steel bore brushes?
I have some but am reluctant to use them, as I have heard they will cause excessive wear to the barrel.
Any opinions? Any solid facts?......dale

wvmanchu
05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
I started using the stainless steel Tornado Brushes a few years ago, they work great but I can't remember who markets them. Haven't noticed any significant change in my barrels.

jcwit
05-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Well if they were the kats meow for cleaning barrels I'm sure the guys shooting off the bench would be using them. But for the average shooter I doubt they will cause any noticable barrel wear.

opos
05-15-2013, 09:14 AM
I've used them on a couple of milsurp barrels that were pretty cruddy...them with Winchester bore gel and it really cleaned things up....far better than regular brushes or brushes with copper chore boy wrapped around them...I didn't have much to lose on the milsurps but was really surprised how nasty looking barrels came clean, sharp and mostly shiny.

felix
05-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Use them all you want to. Target barrels are OK too, but make sure there are ZERO sharp edges on the brushes. The steel they use is soft and wears down quickly to create sharp edges, so have plenty of quick replacements on-hand for this application. Use these brushes only when the need arises is the best motto. Any and all modern barrel steels are way harder than these brushes, so don't worry until the bore scope says the barrel is beginning to flake because of nitrification from ignition heat. ... felix

Rick Hodges
05-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Not in my bore....nope.....will not allow it to happen.

Mal Paso
05-16-2013, 10:18 PM
The stainless brush I have is closed loops of wire. No sharp ends. Might have been Tornado. I know they came from Brownells.

I like Brownells Stiff Bronze Brushes better.

DIRT Farmer
05-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Way better than bronze brushes for cleaning the leading from wadcutters supplied by the lowest bidder for qulification, almost as good as a lewis lead remover.
When I had to qulify immedatly before going on duty, 15 to 20 passes would make rifling show in the old Mdl 66