PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise On 9mm Cast Bullet Lube for #356402 Lyman TCN

kenny45
05-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I have apx 1000 lyman # 356402 9 mm cast bullets TCN ,the lube has hardened & some of it has fell off the lube grooves, [had them for several years], some has a little & some has more lube attached. I 'm not comfortable in trying to load these up the way they are , I'm sure they'll lead up my guns the way they are. Is it possible to lube these by hand? Any ideas would be appreciated , I don't want to throw them away, I think they would be great for target practice. I would also appreciate any ideas on a load for them, I have some win ,wst powder to use with them. I think they were cast from wheel weights I weighed several & they came up to 128 grs each. I'm thinking apx 4.0 to 4.2 grs win wst @1.120 oal. I haven't loaded any 9mm like these before. Just 45 acp. Thanks in advance, kenny45

jdgabbard
05-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Do a search for 'pan lubing' and you'll find some helpful info. But even that is something a little tricky. At the end of the day an easy solution would be to stand all of them right side up on a cookie sheet, and stick it in the oven for a little while until it all melted off. Then once cool, lube with Lee Liquid Alox. It's tacky, but it'll work fine. Cheapest way if you're not looking at getting into casting.

rintinglen
05-15-2013, 02:54 AM
You needn't melt the old lube, just tumble lube the boolits using LLA or Recluse Formula 45/45/10. You'll be good to go for plinking or practice ammo, albeit probably not the ultimate in accuracy.

ku4hx
05-15-2013, 08:34 AM
The first lube I use with my 356402 was what Lyman sold at the time. The only 9mm gun I had then was my BHP and those little pellets were the cause of my getting more into the casting obsession. Lyman's stuff of the era worked well and I had some leading, but nothing a lot of 24yo elbow grease wouldn't take care of. Over the years I tried all sort of commercial lubes and even mixed a bit of my own.

A few years ago I mixed up a goodly portion of the old NRA 50/50 lube, and being the natural born cheap scrounger I am, I'm still using it in my 356402 and all my other castings. I guess there are better lubes, but this one works very well for me. Especially since I discovered what "proper boolit diameter" really means.