PDA

View Full Version : FAQ's or text files?

Tittiger
05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
I am aware of From Ingot to Target, but am looking for something less intimidating.

Are there any text files or FAQ's here to help a newbie like me from asking 200 overly asked questions?

Thanks
Joe

waksupi
05-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Actually, From Ingot To Target lays things out about as simple as they can be. Go through the pertinent forums, and read the stickies. Keep in mind cast boolits is the graduate course in shooting, and there is no instant gratification. You need to study, and put in your time. No free lunch served in this game.

Welcome aboard!

runfiverun
05-15-2013, 02:48 AM
i'll give you the short list to get you started.
your mold is too cold, or still has oil in it.
you just have to cast and do hands on to learn the rest.

blikseme300
05-15-2013, 05:30 AM
Learning the art of cast boolits is like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. Don't give up or despair and remember that casting alloy can be remelted as many times as needed until you get it right.

ku4hx
05-15-2013, 06:01 AM
Lyman's casting manual is an excellet reference and has been my casting companion for over 40 years. With it, you can pick and choose what you want/don't want to learn quite easily.

If you get deeper into this obsession, you're going to start accumulating all sorts of casting and loading manuals. May as well begin with one of the best.

44man
05-15-2013, 10:11 AM
You can read and read forever. Guess where you learn? When you have the mold in hand and see, think for yourself. It will become so easy and second nature just doing it. It is like riding a bike when you first learn to take your eyes off the front wheel and look where you are going. Did you have someone with you with the first ride on a motorcycle? How about popping the clutch with the first stick shift?
You learn by doing, change when needed so the clutch is not popped.

pdawg_shooter
05-15-2013, 01:50 PM
quote; You can read and read forever. Guess where you learn?
HUMMMMM.....how to read?

MtGun44
05-16-2013, 01:47 AM
Read through the stickies.

Bill

Bzcraig
05-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Read and practice. Don't expect purdy boolits until you have spend lots of time doing both.

Tatume
05-16-2013, 06:58 AM
i'll give you the short list to get you started.
your mold is too cold, or still has oil in it.

+1

Thoroughly wash the mold in hot soapy water.