PDA

View Full Version : Free Kindle book

Norbrat
05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
This one about a returned soldier from Afghanistan looks interesting

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A7CI38/?tag=100freebooks-picks-free-20

These free offers are often for only 24 hours, so you will need to get it while the price is right.

Fishman
05-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks Norbrat!

Edit - my wife read the book and really liked it. I don't think it disappeared. . . yet. We will see.

John Allen
05-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks I just grabbed it.

Woody3
05-14-2013, 09:44 PM
I too grabbed it up. Thank you for the heads up.

xs11jack
05-14-2013, 09:50 PM
I have kindle on my pc and signed up for an Amazon account. But it keeps telling me I DON'T have kindle on my pc and won't download the book. What gives?
Jack
Oops didn't register with amazon, did so and got the book.
Jack

smokey496
05-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks. Just downloaded it.

waksupi
05-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Keep in mind these free books expire after a given amount of time. They will disappear from your library, or won't open after around 30 days, in my experience.

snuffy
05-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Too good to pass up. But with spring gardening and home maintenance, who has time to read?

gandydancer
05-15-2013, 02:03 AM
I know nothing about a kindle. what do I need to know/learn??

snuffy
05-15-2013, 10:54 AM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kindle

Gandy, this ^^ is the amazon kindle page. There's basically 4 models available, the one I have is one step up from the most basic. The kindle fire is the latest and most complex, but they all will perform as what they call an E-reader.

A kindle allows you to download books from amazon. I actually have come back to reading a lot more since I got my kindle. WHY? Because I'm old and it's getting harder to read paper books, news print. The font is just too small. With a kindle, you can make the font as big as you want. Another thing, one of my pet peeves is having to turn pages. My fingers and paper just don't get along!:brokenima With the kindle just a tap on the edge of the screen brings the next page up.

I bought a wireless router so I could get the books faster. Last night, I hit the buy one click button on the amazon site, before I could look at the kindle, the entire book was on it! Almost instantaneous download! To this old farte, it's just flat out amazing.

waksupi
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Not to mention that there are multiple sites to download free books. I have around 3000, all free.
I have the Paper White model. Back lit screen good for reading in low light.

DCP
05-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks Norbrat!

DCP
05-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Not to mention that there are multiple sites to download free books. I have around 3000, all free.
I have the Paper White model. Back lit screen good for reading in low light.

Can you recommend some of those sites and some good books.
Thanks in advance

waksupi
05-15-2013, 04:10 PM
http://www.gutenberg.org/

ManyBooks.net

DailyLit

FeedBooks

Not knowing your reading taste, I hesitate to recommend right off hand. I especially like Manybooks, followed by Gutenberg. There is also a Library of Congress site, that has some great stuff. Also check Smithsonian.

DCP
05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
http://www.gutenberg.org/

ManyBooks.net

DailyLit

FeedBooks

Not knowing your reading taste, I hesitate to recommend right off hand. I especially like Manybooks, followed by Gutenberg. There is also a Library of Congress site, that has some great stuff. Also check Smithsonian.

Thanks so much

Norbrat
05-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Keep in mind these free books expire after a given amount of time. They will disappear from your library, or won't open after around 30 days, in my experience.

Hmm, I haven't found this, nor has SWMBO, who has downloaded tons of books over the last few years.

Maybe that's the case for books from other sites, but I think when you "buy" from amazon, even though the price is $0, you "own" the book.

Although I do believe if the publisher decides to withdraw the book, it will then disappear from you library. But that's a decision of the publisher, not an automatic expiry date.

gandydancer
06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
thank you all very much for all your help. Tom/gandy

JeffinNZ
06-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I have a bit of a gripe with Amazon. My Kindle was given to me after it was left on an aircraft and never claimed. All above board, legal, etc. Thing is, Amazon now have it flagged as "lost or stolen" so have blocked it. I can't download to it from Amazon. So even though I legitimately own the device Amazon will not allow me to use it for its intended purpose. Of course I am more than happy to compile with their policy and only downloaded pirated material (you listening NSA????). Net result is the authors and Amazon dip out.

This E reader business is something to watch.

waksupi
06-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Jeff, you MIGHT be able to un-register it, and start over with it. However, with all of the other free book sources, I would just ignore Amazon and be happy.

DCP
06-13-2013, 08:51 PM
I have a bit of a gripe with Amazon. My Kindle was given to me after it was left on an aircraft and never claimed. All above board, legal, etc. Thing is, Amazon now have it flagged as "lost or stolen" so have blocked it. I can't download to it from Amazon. So even though I legitimately own the device Amazon will not allow me to use it for its intended purpose. Of course I am more than happy to compile with their policy and only downloaded pirated material (you listening NSA????). Net result is the authors and Amazon dip out.

This E reader business is something to watch.

Do you think the original owner report it lost? Why would they do that after a extended period of time. Lots of things are never claimed in places like a airport.

dbosman
06-13-2013, 10:44 PM
For more free books from Amazon, search using free and also search using $0.00
That works for mp3s as well.

JeffinNZ
06-13-2013, 11:27 PM
The original owner did report it lost and Amazon will not release it. Their loss.