PDA

View Full Version : Casting a good bullet with a brass mold?

dgb553
05-14-2013, 07:31 PM
I've used cast iron molds for years, my current favorite is a 4 hole Saeco #955. I recently purchased a 45-200 LSWC from MP-Molds. So many people have raved about MiHa's brass molds, I had to give one a try. I was in need of 200 grain SWC for my 1911s and SW 625. So I ordered a 4 four hole and it is a work of art! I've used it twice and my reject rate is very high when compared to the Saeco mold. The mold was cleaned with denatured alcohol and heated up over my lead furnace. I've tried temperature ranging from 670 F to almost 800 F. It seems to like a range of 720 - 750 F. I have also tried both bottom pour and dipping. I should add I've been casting since the 70s started with cast iron, gave Lee aluminum molds a try and didn't like them much. When I see wrinkles, I think oil in the cavity or the lead is too cool or the mold is not up to temperature. To many bullets are wrinkled and I can't figure out why! Any advice?

runfiverun
05-14-2013, 08:04 PM
the mold itself is too cold.

dragon813gt
05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
the mold itself is too cold.

This. I've found my 45 MP molds to be the easiest to cast with. Preheat the mold on a hotplate. Once it's up to temp it will rain perfect bullets.

Cadillo
05-14-2013, 08:28 PM
I cast mostly with iron Lymans, but have three (3) Mihecs. The Mihecs throw beautiful bullets that are of sufficient size without tinkering with my alloys, but they are more finicky than the iron Lymans and have a much higher reject rate. I have found that I have to run my melt hotter with the brass moulds in order to keep the mould temp up to a level that will produce well formed bullets. Having said that, I get good service friom my Mihecs, which cast good, round, properly sized bullets not available from Lyman's offerings. But, when I need a big pile of good enough .38 special or .45 ACP bullets, I reach for the fast running Lyman 358477 and 452630 or 452460. They require my harder alloy which casts at a relatively lower temp and drops larger bullets than the softer alloy that I use in my brass Mihecs, but they produce a lot more useable bullets in a shorter period of time.

338RemUltraMag
05-14-2013, 08:47 PM
When casting with brass you need to keep up a fast tempo, brass cools much faster. I am use to casting with aluminum and Iron and found with my brass mold I need to do an extra 7 pours a minute (or there abouts) and my boolit weighs 450 gr!

plainsman456
05-14-2013, 08:47 PM
With these molds they like to be hot.

After 2 or 3 casts with mine it threw great.

CGT80
05-14-2013, 08:58 PM
I have an MP 45 270 SAA. I have cast some great boolits with it. They came out true to size and round. The round pins drop easily, the penta pins may need even a bit more smoothing, than what I have already done, to drop easily. I did have to run hot and drop slightly frosty boolits. My last batch of lead wasn't filling out well, so I ordered some tin. My RCBS filled out better with the iffy lead, but it is also a RN with one round lube groove, compared to the intricate design of the MP. The MP molds are a work of art.

When my alloy and temp was decent, I was emptying a 10 pound pot in short order and I didn't need a sprue stick to get the mold open or the boolits to drop.

I look forward to using my MP mold again, and I will be working on figuring out what the sweet spot is for alloy, temp, and technique, as I go. I am tempted to get in on the group buy for the MP 311241. I have an Ideal (IIRC) 308241 that is a single hole, in steel. I beagled it to get 311. I'm sure that mp 4 banger would turn out some nice boolits for my 30-30 and 30-06 in short order.

quasi
05-15-2013, 01:44 AM
I usually alternate 2 moulds when running Aluminum or cast iron gang moulds. With my Brass 4 cavitys I have to run one mould if I alternate the brass mould cools to quickly, making the sprue hard to cut and rejects get common.

gunoil
05-15-2013, 06:02 AM
use the hot plate like dragon said, ever time i use to set mold on pot something messed up. Mp sent me a free steel sproo plate.

dgb553
05-15-2013, 02:09 PM
I heated up some lead this morning and after about 45 minutes everything was hot enough to start. Tempo was this missing piece of the puzzle for me. Instead of using two molds, I used just the Miha 4 hole 45-200 LSWC. What an experience!! I have never casted so many bullets in such a short of time! Just about 2 hours.
I put on my welding gloves and just used the palm of my hand on the spure plate, no mallet, very fast and a sharp decline in rejects. This is speed casting at its finest! Thanks one and all for your advice!

See the results!!!!

tomme boy
05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
I don't like the brass molds. Too fussy! Aluminum molds work so much nicer. I wish Mihec would make them instead of the brass. And they would be cheaper as well.

dragon813gt
05-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Funny how I'm replacing all my aluminum molds w/ brass ones :)

Jailer
05-15-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't like the brass molds. Too fussy! Aluminum molds work so much nicer. I wish Mihec would make them instead of the brass. And they would be cheaper as well.

Same here. The tendinitis in my elbow would appreciate an aluminum mold too.

FLINTNFIRE
05-15-2013, 10:30 PM
I like the brass , but then funny I like all my molds , they are heavy

ffries61
05-15-2013, 10:37 PM
I heated up some lead this morning and after about 45 minutes everything was hot enough to start. Tempo was this missing piece of the puzzle for me. Instead of using two molds, I used just the Miha 4 hole 45-200 LSWC. What an experience!! I have never casted so many bullets in such a short of time! Just about 2 hours.
I put on my welding gloves and just used the palm of my hand on the spure plate, no mallet, very fast and a sharp decline in rejects. This is speed casting at its finest! Thanks one and all for your advice!

See the results!!!!

Nice pile'o Boolits :D