PDA

View Full Version : Savage will join the ATK conglomerate

onceabull
05-14-2013, 04:21 PM
ATK to take over Savage Arms,et al.. Congrats to savage leadership ,should be close to time to cash out for your efforts.. Probably a good thing going forward as Savage competitors have been getting into the hands of those with DEEP pockets..best of all worlds if Savage current management is there for a while after the turnover... Onceabull

runfiverun
05-14-2013, 04:41 PM
http://www.guns.com/2013/05/13/atk-buys-savage-arms-for-315-million/
here is a little blurb about it.

I was just gonna link this when I seen bill's thread.

rbertalotto
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm VERY VERY HAPPY for Ron Coburn and his wife. Ron took a huge risk when he bought Savage 20 or so years ago and discontinued everything they made and built the company on the back of the Savage 110 bolt action rifle...........And it was ALL about accuracy. PERIOD! Man, did he deliver. Just about the most accurate production rifle in the world.

I went on two "Prairie Dog Conferences" with Ron and his wife. Nices folks you are ever going to meet!

I sure hope he gets a bunch of the $315,000,000

Artful
05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
I wonder if they will be able to bring back the classic 99 lever action with an infusion of cash

gandydancer
05-14-2013, 08:21 PM
lets hope so.

MtGun44
05-14-2013, 08:45 PM
If they do bring back the 99, your eyes will water at the price.

Bill

TXGunNut
05-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Question is, do you think this will be good for Savage and their fans? Sorry about the hi-jack but it seems a valid question these days.

runfiverun
05-14-2013, 10:19 PM
i'm afraid there will be a pretty large price increase across the board.
when atk took over champion targets their prices went from 6.99 a box to the 9.99- 12.99 range.
cci primers also took a jump.

Kull
05-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Not quite sure how I feel about this.

TXGunNut
05-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Not quite sure how I feel about this.

Me too. The possibility of a new 99 sitting on a shelf in my LGS is a tantalyzing thought but that remains to be seen.

btroj
05-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Doesn't matter how I feel, it is gonna happen.

Idaho Mule
05-15-2013, 12:25 AM
This whole world is changing big time. I think this could be a good thing here, just wish I was a 100% sure about it. ATK employs lots of folks in Lewiston, Idaho as well as many other places and I don't think they would buy Savage to hurt the brand. Prices will surly go up, but I think ATK will do right by the shooting public. JW

Swamp Man
05-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Not sure how I really feel about all this but hope for the best. Maybe with the cash to back them they will bring back the old style 24 combo guns. The new 42 updated style of the 24 is a nice little combo gun but it's not the old 24's we grew up with.

Sweetpea
05-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Not sure how I really feel about all this but hope for the best. Maybe with the cash to back them they will bring back the old style 24 combo guns. The new 42 updated style of the 24 is a nice little combo gun but it's not the old 24's we grew up with.

I'll second that...

You couldn't give me a truckload of 42s for my 24!

Brandon

runfiverun
05-15-2013, 02:06 AM
I really think nothing but profits will come from this.

i'm bout tired of everything becoming giant corporations.

starmac
05-15-2013, 03:15 AM

THIS I hate the way all eggs get thrown in one BEEG basket. I'm not sure how they could make savage better.

Bad Water Bill
05-15-2013, 03:52 AM
Not sure either. With 10 bbls 5 actions a smokeless M L AND an antique 99 in my stash I know I will miss him at the helm.

Enjoy your retirement folks.

Thanks for producing the most accurate rifle out of the box for years and years

Hardcast416taylor
05-16-2013, 03:19 PM
The last time I saw an estimate (about 12 months back) of what a Model 99 Savage (standard model) would cost if brought back into production would be in the range of $1500 - $2000 and possibly more for added features like a detachable box magazine, decent wood etc.Robert

Artful
05-16-2013, 03:43 PM
If FN FAL receivers can be made for less than half that price - there is no reason you couldn't make a 99 for similar prices.

felix
05-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Besides that, not every object within the gun has to be made out of metal. Those with light bearing demands could be computer generated plastic parts for next to nothing in manufacturing costs. ... felix

km101
05-16-2013, 04:32 PM
If they do bring back the 99, your eyes will water at the price.

Bill

Yeah, I'm afraid that the Model 99 is too labor intensive to build in today's economy. Even with CNC machining and modern production methods, there is too much hand assembly required to make it and still meet the price point that would make it a good seller. But we can always hope!!

Artful
05-16-2013, 05:44 PM
or carved out of a single block of metal - the new powdered/sinctered tech has a lot going for it now.

376Steyr
05-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Chance of the classic 99 coming back with a nice wood stock: Zero. Chances of it coming back with a synthetic stock (preferably with a thumbhole), fluted barrel, Picanny rail for the optics, and a detachable 30 round magazine holding a proprietary cartridge that can't be formed from any other brass: Almost certain.:roll:

10 ga
05-16-2013, 06:08 PM
For years Winchester made a go of it with commemoratives of the 94 and Henry produces a whole boatload of commemorative and specialty rifles now. I think 99s are good usable rifles and commemoratives would work well. Look at what Browning gets for them BLR rifles. I'd much rather have a 99 than a BLR.
I have 3 Savage 10ML rifles and they are great. I'll not shoot any more holy black cept for the rookies and kids. SML for me all the way.

starmac
05-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Besides that, not every object within the gun has to be made out of metal. Those with light bearing demands could be computer generated plastic parts for next to nothing in manufacturing costs. ... felix

No thanks, I'm partial to my metal 99.

Artful
05-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Which one - the one with steel rotor or brass rotor?

Four-Sixty
05-17-2013, 10:17 AM
What about the fate of the Winchester Super Mag in .17 cal? Savage was making the rifle for the debut of this cartridge. Now, ATK a rimfire competitor, will own the base Winchester was probably planning to use to launch the rifle?

Interesting indeed.

Recluse
05-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Damn straight.

On one hand, I sometimes feel like a hypocrite because the wife and I did well in the (stock) market--but it was also back in the days well before massive layoffs, obscene CEO/senior exec salaries and bonuses, massive outsourcing of jobs, etc and et al.

Today we still have smatterings of stock in some companies and what I read in the annual reports makes me want to throw up, such are the lies and BS that they spew forth.

I look around today and see what Big Business has done to America and basically what BB has done to us is fornicated us to the point of no return IF we continue down the path that the Warren Buffets and Jeff Immelts continue to lead us, we're done as a nation.

I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of Savage firearms and my 110B in 30-06 is the most accurate stock rifle I have ever owned. I'm not a huge fan of ATK--or any other holding company, for that matter--and suspect that my future Savage purchases will be from individuals in the form of previously owned rifles rather than anything produced after the takeover.

That is my philosophy with Colt and Smith & Wesson, and now Remington and a few other brands.

The novel I'm working on "exposes" the unholy relationship between Wall Street, Capitol Hill and Big Business and it's largely based on the past thirty years I've lived working in Madison Avenue and having actually witnessed the transformation in companies whose old-school leadership went by the wayside and was replaced by the new and bloodthirsty, excessively greedy "me-first and to hell with everyone else" senior execs and how they pad their BODs incestuously.

Casting and reloading is another way for me to remain somewhat more independent of Big Business. When it gets down to it, I can buy top-shelf molds made by small businessmen right here in the boolit casting world, and if need be, I can use a dutch oven and fire-pit to melt the lead if I don't feel like supporting Lee or RCBS (who is owned by a holding company themselves), etc.

My future new firearms purchases will be limited to those companies who have told Big Government to take a flying fornicating leap and moved out of cesspools like Maryland into free states. Likewise my online/mail-ordering will be from companies of similar attitude and persuasion.

I'm sick of mergers and acquisitions and the big getting bigger and hosing down the small businesses.

:coffee:

runfiverun
05-17-2013, 12:55 PM
rcbs is owned by atk also.
we are coming down to it going to be the big three of guns and ammo soon.
i'm not even sure atk is owned by an American corporation.
Remington surely isn't and neither is Winchester/browning anymore.
we have already seen a decline in quality and not just in the fire arms themselves.
look at the reputation that federal and Winchester brass has had for the last little while.
I know Winchester ammunition and firearms are different corporations.
but it's all being driven by profit just like everything else "we got shareholders to answer to" is getting old.
i'm amused when they tell the employees that same thing, and all of the employees own shares in the company.

Love Life
05-17-2013, 02:54 PM
"May you have to match prep virgin Winchester brass!!"

-Many people

Above is curse I wish on very few.

Smoke4320
05-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Damn straight.

On one hand, I sometimes feel like a hypocrite because the wife and I did well in the (stock) market--but it was also back in the days well before massive layoffs, obscene CEO/senior exec salaries and bonuses, massive outsourcing of jobs, etc and et al.

Today we still have smatterings of stock in some companies and what I read in the annual reports makes me want to throw up, such are the lies and BS that they spew forth.

I look around today and see what Big Business has done to America and basically what BB has done to us is fornicated us to the point of no return IF we continue down the path that the Warren Buffets and Jeff Immelts continue to lead us, we're done as a nation.

I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of Savage firearms and my 110B in 30-06 is the most accurate stock rifle I have ever owned. I'm not a huge fan of ATK--or any other holding company, for that matter--and suspect that my future Savage purchases will be from individuals in the form of previously owned rifles rather than anything produced after the takeover.

That is my philosophy with Colt and Smith & Wesson, and now Remington and a few other brands.

The novel I'm working on "exposes" the unholy relationship between Wall Street, Capitol Hill and Big Business and it's largely based on the past thirty years I've lived working in Madison Avenue and having actually witnessed the transformation in companies whose old-school leadership went by the wayside and was replaced by the new and bloodthirsty, excessively greedy "me-first and to hell with everyone else" senior execs and how they pad their BODs incestuously.

Casting and reloading is another way for me to remain somewhat more independent of Big Business. When it gets down to it, I can buy top-shelf molds made by small businessmen right here in the boolit casting world, and if need be, I can use a dutch oven and fire-pit to melt the lead if I don't feel like supporting Lee or RCBS (who is owned by a holding company themselves), etc.

My future new firearms purchases will be limited to those companies who have told Big Government to take a flying fornicating leap and moved out of cesspools like Maryland into free states. Likewise my online/mail-ordering will be from companies of similar attitude and persuasion.

I'm sick of mergers and acquisitions and the big getting bigger and hosing down the small businesses.

:coffee:

Amen brother .. We are getting hosed from all directions.. seek out the little guys and support them ...

starmac
05-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Which one - the one with steel rotor or brass rotor?

brass.......

Baron von Trollwhack
05-17-2013, 03:17 PM
First in line for the equivalent of my old Savage 99 Featherweight takedown model of 1914 in 303 Savage. Price be darned ! You only go around twice on classics.

BvT

starmac
05-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Would love to have a 99 in 358. I know of one that jes rebored out of a 308 that caused the guy to retire his browning. lol

onceabull
05-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Could be the locale,but there has been the same 99 remake,(308 to 358) at every gun show of more than 200 tables near here for nearly 2 years, priced at $595...still for sale at the closing 4-14-13..(I don't know who did the work) Onceabull

onceabull
05-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Reality Check... Remington spent the majority of the lifetimes of members here as part of the DuPont Corp. & the Winchester firearms business was such a minor interest to Olin that they basically gave it away...So Much for " small business"in the U.S.firearms trade.. Onceabull