PDA

View Full Version : Great Pan For Melting Range Scrap

kenp1980m
05-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi all! I'm brand new to casting AND reloading. I actually haven't cast yet, I'm in the process of cleaning my range scrap. Picked up 170lbs of it at my indoor range. I started with the 10lbs RCBS lead pot... It took about 1 hour to realize it was no good for cleaning scrap. I looked around and didn't find anything other than Dutch ovens being recommended. I found a great cast iron 10.5" pan MADE IN USA :-) at Target for about $16. It has pour lips on both sides as well as handles on each side. I used it yesterday and it was great! Just wanted to put that out there for any newbs that are cleaning range scrap. Home depot also has a decent single burner made from cast iron rated at 50,000 BTUs for $50. I think it even comes with hose and regulator.

plinky56
05-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Cool beans!

C.F.Plinker
05-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Is that made from aluminum or from cast iron?

YunGun
05-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Is that made from aluminum or from cast iron?

I found a great cast iron 10.5" pan MADE IN USA at Target

<sigh> Wish we had a Target nearby, as I find myself looking for a replacement for an old cheapo aluminum pot I was using (yes, I know that's not recommended, but it served me quite well for several hundred lbs of range scrap & only cost a couple bucks at a flea market) that finally gave up the ghost after I stupidly cranked up the heat & left it unattended for awhile....:rolleyes:
On the plus side I was nowhere near it when the bottom let loose, but the yard now has a nice big bare spot after I peeled the cooled mass of lead outta the grass... :oops:

lars1367
05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
I use a Walmart stainless stockpot I picked up on the cheap. It feels dang flimsy now, so this is the right post at the right time! Thanks.
-Corey

D Crockett
05-14-2013, 02:27 PM
smelting pots and ingot moulds are best if made out of steel aluminum pots will fail and you risk a trip to the hospital for skin grafs amputation. moltant lead will melt the skin right off your bones. cast iron pot will crack on you if you hit the sides with a laydel when hot. now with saying that I have had both of these things happend to me. I was lucky with the auluminum pot I was inside the house getting a drink when it happened. the cast iron pot that was on the side to my right and I got away from that with out injuery. just to let you know it is well worth getting a steel pot so you can do this thing of ours safely. the few dollars you save getting cheeper stuff you just migh give that to the hospital. if any one need a steel pot or ingot moulds pm me I can help you out D Crockett