PDA

View Full Version : Cast Bullets in a Glock??

gimling
05-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Hey guys I was showing my uncle my new reloading setups as its coming along, He has done his own reloading for 30+ years, He said something to me that I wasn't sure I understood he said make sure your not shooting it through a glock??? is there some reason not to if I measure the bore of my glock and make sure is sized correctly??

Polish Jeff
05-13-2013, 08:30 PM
see the link to the sticky...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?33855-The-Truth-about-Glocks-and-Cast&highlight=casting+glock

Many good points, decide for yourself....

longshot1154
05-13-2013, 08:32 PM
They'll shoot fine. Been shooting cast in glocks for a long time. Lots of info on the net about shooting cast in Glocks. Back in the day, they said not to as the coating that is on the outside of the glock is also inside the barrel and it causes more leading. Just do a search here as well as through google and you will get a bunch of info. Just use your own judgement after doing some reading to see if you want to shoot cast or buy bulk jacketed.

Jailer
05-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Well I just got done working up a load for my 26. I've got over 100 rounds through it and the bore shines like it was just cleaned.

Size matters just like every other gun you plan on shooting cast through. Size em right and you'll have no problems.

spfd1903
05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Ditto. just cleaned my 23 after 150 rounds, clean as a whistle. Lee TL175-401 TC, 10:1 alloy, Alox lube.

UBER7MM
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Shooting reloads voids the limited warranty. However since the limited warranty is only valid for one year. Hmm. I"ve also heard what Longshot has reported.

My 2 cents,

mpmarty
05-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Long story linger at your own peril:

In 1986 or so my shooting buddy had a Smith 1645 which is a short barrelled semi auto in 45acp. In order to "make major" with this snubby we loaded it with 265gr semi wad cutters. He finally dumped that ejector eating piece of junk and got a 1911 so I was stuck with several hundred 265gr cast boolits. No problem right? Loaded them up with five grains of Red Dot and planned on burning them up in my Glock 21.

One fateful evening on the club indoor range with a pair of 357 magnums going off on either side of me I suffered a low pressure event which lead to a high pressure event as follows:

1. fired a round #2 in a magazine of 13 and it didn't "fire" as I learned later it lacked powder.
2. Thinking I'd had a failure to feed I racked the slide and fired round #3 from that magazine. WOW! I thought my G21 had turned into a 629 with full house loads.

What happened was a 265gr cast slug was lodged in the barrel just ahead of the chamber. Second round drove both slugs out and they both hit the target. I now had a barrel with a bulge in it just ahead of the chamber. I shot two matches with that barrel in that G21 in the next two weeks and then sent it in to Georgia to Glock for a new barrel and a "checkup".

I can't imagine what the pressures were from that shot but the case was undamaged and the gun functioned flawlessly then and thereafter.

Go figure.

ku4hx
05-14-2013, 09:52 AM
make sure your not shooting it through a glock???

Lots of internet hype over this, but the way I see it there are two kinds of Glock shooters. Those of us who have actually shot tens of thousands of cast boolits through our various OEM Glock barrels without incident and those who have heard or read you shouldn't do it and therefore preach you shouldn't do.

Shiloh
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Sizing at .358 works for me. 4.5 gr. of Unique under a LEE 125 gr. 2R. Drops at 120+gr. Or 3.8 of Unique under the LEE 125 gr. RF. Drops at 129 gr.

Shiloh

mdi
05-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Lots of internet hype over this, but the way I see it there are two kinds of Glock shooters. Those of us who have actually shot tens of thousands of cast boolits through our various OEM Glock barrels without incident and those who have heard or read you shouldn't do it and therefore preach you shouldn't do.

+1. I have a tendency to go along with ku4hx's statement.

Centaur 1
05-14-2013, 09:59 PM

+2, just keep an eye on the barrel for leading. It's not like it's difficult to pop the barrel out if you forget a bore light. My G26 love the Ranch Dog 100 grain 380 bullet, I've gone over 1300 fps without leading.

gimling
05-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I think I am gonna make sure I measure the barrel and lubesize my cast bullet and test till I have a load that will work at the range.

ku4hx
05-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I think I am gonna make sure I measure the barrel and lubesize my cast bullet and test till I have a load that will work at the range.

Mine work best sized .001"-.002" over the bore's diameter.

Cane_man
05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
it didnt want any drama so i just use an aftermarket barrel for my Glocks that i shoot lead in

NWFLYJ
05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
G22, over 800 rounds and counting. I like to think I dont have any issues due to Felix lube.