PDA

View Full Version : Finally going to get a hot plate

hickfu
05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Well I have read way too many times of people using hot plates to heat their molds, I have always used my torch but its a real pain in the rear and never seems to heat properly. So I ask.... What is the brand of hot plate that is the best? I want something that will last, gets hot enough and doesnt take up the entire bench.

Thanks for any input,

Doc

tg32-20
05-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Walmart or Walmart online have several smooth top plate hotplates, not the coil type as on a stove. They are a lot easier to use when you have a flat surface.

They sell from $15 - $30. Mine is about 1 foot square and on medium, heats a mold up to 400 no problem.

Tom

hickfu
05-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks tg32-20, What brand is yours? Deni? Aroma?
Oh another question.... is the single top large enough to hold 2 molds? Im sure I will see when I go look but wanted to know if I should look at a single or double top one.

Doc

GLL
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Tom:

One foot square is a REALLY big hotplate ! I would like to find one that size !
What brand is it and where did you get it?

Jerry

TenTea
05-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I stole my wife's Aroma (that sounds slightly risque' but don't worry, I'll give it back!) single burner which works well.
I had to atone for my sins and just yesterday, I found a dual burner GE model at Walmart for her on clearance for 1/2 price ($15).
Mama's happy - Daddy's happy!
A casting friend of mine gave my a round, 3/8" steel plate to set on the hotplate as a heat sink and it really holds the heat nicely and makes it feel very solid.

hickfu
05-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Interesting, I didnt think about putting a steel plate on top. I have plenty of that! Great tip..

Doc

Shiloh
05-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Mine blows the fuse in the garage. Need more amperage out there. Until then, the propane torch.

Shiloh

CAVEMTNMAN
05-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Yard sales are a good place to find hot plates.

tg32-20
05-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Doc

It is an Aroma 1000w

Burner is 6" and total size is 9 1/2 x 9 1/2, yes it will hold 2 molds.

Tom

LittleBill
05-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I bought a Farberware from Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I read all about finding them at thrift shops, yard sales, etc, but I was there, it was there, and I had already been in about four or five thrift shops, so I bought one. I figger if I keep it clean, I can cook food on it too, or make fire starters out of wax and sawdust, etc.

hickfu
05-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I went to Wallyworld today and they only had 1 brand there so I got it. Its an Oster 900W so I hope it works out ok. It was only 19.98 for it...

Doc

tg32-20
05-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Doc

It will work out fine for you. It will not melt lead but that is not what you wanted and it will heat up the molds just fine.

Going to Wallyworld beats trying to find one at a garage sale or thrift store. You would spend more than $19.98 in gas in Kalifornia driving around.

I find with mine if I want a break in casting, I just put it back on the hotplate and when I come back it is ready to go. For some reason now that I am a little older I can not stand there and cast as long as I used too.

Tom

hickfu
05-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Tom,
I am sooo glad you told me that! I have had 2 surgeries on each leg (ripped out veins) so I have very poor circulation and standing there kills me! If I can get a break for a while that would be awesome....

Doc

bhop
05-14-2013, 03:10 AM
good info thanks guys

05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Appreciate the info and advice given here as I'm looking to buy a hotplate also.

Best

41 mag fan
05-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Tom,
I am sooo glad you told me that! I have had 2 surgeries on each leg (ripped out veins) so I have very poor circulation and standing there kills me! If I can get a break for a while that would be awesome....Doc

Doc,
Go to Walmart and buy one of those big cans of green beans or corn, Open it up just enough where you can get the contents out without bending the lid. When empty, take an angle grinder or tin snips, or something similar and cut yourself a hole in the side that's large enough to get your mold(s) in.
Think of it as an oven. Put the end that's not been cut open on the burner.
It'll help the mold get to temp quicker, helps to keep it up to temp if you need a break, and you're not setting the mold directly on the burner, there's a piece of metal in between the burner and your mold.

Sasquatch-1
05-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Mine blows the fuse in the garage. Need more amperage out there. Shiloh

How old is your house? You may have "Arc Fault" breakers in the garage. I have them in my bedrooms and can't start a Vacume cleaner without tripping them. I wouldn't think a hot plate would trip your breakers unless you are running a couple other high amp appliances on the circuit.

Wal'
05-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Bought my el cheapo hot plate "made in China" at our equivalent Walmart's down here, the first time I used it, died straight up, checked out inside it & it had a "Thermal Cutout Microtemp Fuse" which is designed to burn out if unevenly overheated, example.....mold use!
Just bypassed the fuse, easy done & its now working perfectly.

Shiloh
05-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Yard sales are a good place to find hot plates.

My dinosaur hotplate came from goodwill. Probably the reason it draws all that amperage.

Shiloh

Jaak
05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Why are hot plates being used to heat molds? What is wrong with just dipping the corner in the molten lead?

ku4hx
05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Wouldn't be without mine. I had it well before I began casting, but for a long time I used it to mix alloy. Then I discover fish fryers. I didn't actually buy this one, my mom did, and that was sometime in the early '60s. They just don't make things the way they used to.

Voodoocld
05-14-2013, 02:10 PM
I use this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042W5N04/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buy something worth 5 bucks, and you'll get free shipping on both of them.

It works well. Although can be a bit bright in the direct sunlight.